X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

New RDV-1090

The new RDV-1090 is Rotel's first truly "universal" player. Able to reproduce high-resolution multi-channel and stereo recordings with state-of-the-art quality playback not only with DVD-A, but also SACD discs. "We prefer to take a 'wait and see' approach to new technologies. We've waited and we've seen. It's clear that SACD is here to stay.,” reports new head of development, Craig Rogers. The new RDV-1090 will deliver DVD-Video movies and videos, CD-Video discs, and SVCD discs. And of course, handle audio CDs-including discs on CD-R/RW media-as well as discs containing MP3 and WMA compressed-audio files. The machine can even accept JPEG-image photo discs for “slide-show” convenience. Like many new players today, the RDV-1090 accepts recordable and rewriteable DVDs, both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. New to the RDV-1090 is digital video output for today's modern video devices. The RDV-1090 sports both DVI and HDMI outputs, as well as the standard analog, S-Video and component outputs. On the audio end of the spectrum, Rotel is integrating a digital firewire input into their receivers and pre-pro's. The RDV-1090 is their first product to offer the firewire output for multi-channel playback to match. This gives the RDV-1090 the most comprehensive array of outputs of any player on the market today.

The new player also shares many essential features such as robust, “over-engineered” power supply designs and meticulously selected audio and video digital and analog circuitry including costly high-current analog components and wideband audio and video digital converters that Rotel players are already known for. These include 24-bit/192-kHz DSD-1790 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no cross-conversion of DSD, and the high-speed/wideband video DAC shared by both designs for pristine and stable screen images. There is even a new high-resolution graphical user interface Rotel developed to reduce the eyestrain of setup and everyday-use of on-screen menus. Reports aren't in yet, but Rotel claims that they've completely eliminated layer change pauses with the RDV-1090, and all new units of the RDV-1040 will also have this fix implemented. (Note: the RDV-1050 and RDV-1060 have been eliminated from the Rotel lineup.) With a $1250 msrp, Rotel, with the RDV-1090 seems to have once again, drawn a line in the sand for the competition. High quality gear - down to earth price. Way to go Rotel.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
    All Daredevil, All the Time!
  • Atorak
    • Feb 2004

Holy! Is this true? Do you have any idea when this unit is coming in? I was planning on getting a DVD-2200 and a RCD-02, or just the DVD-2900 by itself.

But if this is true, Ill wait!

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
      • May 2003

I think Spiff's pulling our legs on this one.
      HDMI, DVI, SACD, DVD-a, and no layer change problems?

You had me up until you announced that the 1050 and 1060 were being discontinued.

this is a joke right?

-----------------------------------
      "Some days yer the Dog, others yer the Hydrant."
      "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
      -Dark Helmet

Comment

• spiffnme
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Atorak
        Holy! ... I was planning on getting a DVD-2200 and a RCD-02, or just the DVD-2900 by itself. But if this is true, Ill wait!
        Hey Rotel...did you hear that? "I was going to buy a Denon, but if this is true, I'll wait..."

*sigh* ...no it's not true. I was bored and decided to write up a "press release" for my dream DVD player. I got excited just writing it. Someday Rotel will make this player, right? It's all the more frustrating that Rotel has put out 4 new DVD players in just the past year or so, and not one of them has SACD playback or a digital video output.

The lack of SACD and a digital video out are the two biggest stumbling blocks keeping me from buying a Rotel player. The firewire, 192khz DACs, and layer change issue are all minor points to me but I figured if I'm "designing" my dream player, why not throw them in as well.

If a machine like this were to come out, what would the point be of the RDV-1060, and especially the RDV-1050? If it were me, I'd simply have the do it all machine, the RDV-1090, and the standard cd/dvd player, the RDV-1040. Heck, even without the RDV-1090, I don't understand the point of the RDV-1050.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• pbarata
          • Feb 2003

Hey... it's not 1st April yet !!!

I'm wainting also for such a premium multi-player, if from Rotel better, otherwise I'll keep my Rotel RCD-1070 for music and my Pioneer DV-454 for movies, waiting for a better setlement on the new audio formats !!

Sorry for my ignorance, but could someone explain me what is the layer change pauses in a DVD player?
          Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
          Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

spiffnme,

Thanks for spiffn-us

Seriously though - we've got the specs now. And I'm starting to really like that imaginary Craig Rogers.... Let's hope Rotel read this and build one quickly...

Of course they'd need that HDMI interface card for the RSP-1098....

Geoff

Comment

• spiffnme
              • Apr 2003

Craig's not imaginary, he's just not the head of development at Rotel. It's lowly old me working at IMAX.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Spiff 8O That was just cruel!

Myself I'm not too concerned about DVI/HDMI as almost no equipment switches it right now, most TV's have one DVI input which I'd rather use for HDTV broadcasts and it offers minimal (IMO) improvement over a good component connection (at least until HD-DVD comes along :P )

But SACD and no layer change lag would sure be nice along with the excellent PQ and SQ for all formats including CD's. Again, Firewire isn't a huge priority for me as there isn't much to connect it to at this point.

Sorry for my ignorance, but could someone explain me what is the layer change pauses in a DVD player?
                A lot movies are on "dual layer" DVD discs to get more information on one side of a disc. When a player is reading the disc it has to adjust to read the second layer at the "layer change" and you see/hear a pause in the movie. Electronics companies combat that lag by using a memory buffer to read ahead and minimize the pause.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Just a data point, but the layer change on my 1040 is almost instant. Faster than any Panasonic that I've had before. I'm sure some players out there have no pause at all, but the 1040 is fast enough for me not to worry about it..

Side note, I was watching ''lost in translation'' the other night and they actually had the layer change during a black scene change.. Finally someone smart enough to try and do that.. I love the one's that have it during the middle of a climatic speech or something..

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Ya, you'd think someone would figure out not to do it in the middle of ... well, anything.... sometimes I wonder :roll:

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                    Jason

Comment

• eelco74
                      • Dec 2002

If only it would be true,

btw It would have pissed me off a bit. I got the Denon 2900 because I knew Rotel would not have a universal player for some time.

Still if the 1090 would come (for that price) I wuld be tempted to trade in my dvd-2900. But furst I have to wait for my rsp-1068 to arrive in Europe.....

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• gd
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Leef Dalucky
                        You had me up until you announced that the 1050 and 1060 were being discontinued.
                        You had me up until you dropped a price of $1250... if I know my Rotel's, we're easily looking at $2k for a 1090 uni.
                        greg (gd to you)
                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• spiffnme
                          • Apr 2003

Hey...it's a dream machine. I can't charge $2000 for a dream can I?

www.funnyfarmcomics.net

Comment

• spiffnme
                            • Apr 2003

bump....

Just trying to keep the dream alive.

Comment

• ti33er
                              • Apr 2004

1090 + Stylish Remote!

WOOHOO!! This is just what I have been waiting for!! - BUT PLEASE, a nice matching remote (perhaps alloy with a matching blue backlight) this time round - unfortunately the 1970's remote really put me off the RDV1060!

"...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• ti33er
                                • Apr 2004

okokokok I didnt read it all! YoU B*****D!! I feel like I have been dropped from heaven, naked into a sewer! :W
                                "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

That was a good one, since I have just purchased the Pioneer DV-59. I was ready to utilize my 30 day exchange policy, but alas :cry: . It surely was a beautiful dream, perhaps Rotel will make it a reality, but at this point it seems I stuck with my Pioneer, which is not all that bad actually.

Regards,

Azeke
                                  Last edited by Azeke; 22 May 2004, 07:23 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"