• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sridhar mahadevan
    • Feb 2004

Happy ending to my 1098 story

As you may recall, I posted a couple of weeks ago reporting
    serious problems with my 1098 (thumping, glitching, EM sensitivity
    to heaters and refrigerators turning on).

The dealer gave me his demo unit, which exhibited none of these problems (except for some residual clicks when switching from non-HDTV to HDTV programming). Emboldened by this and by the enthusiastic reports from this forum, I agreed to wait for a 2nd replacement unit (his demo was in black, and my original unit was in silver).

Well, the good news is that the new unit arrived and was installed 2 days ago. So far, it has exhibited no problems whatsoever, with no clicks or glitches. Everything seems flawless.

The unit came with 1.1.6, and I don't plan to upgrade anytime soon. Judging from the reports on this forum, the 2.1.1 upgrade can cause problems, and I can't avail of the added IIx processing anyway. I don't have rear back speakers, and am running only a 5.1 system.

- Sridhar
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Sridhar,

Congratulations. I'm glad you persisted and took everyone's reassurance to get a new RSP-1098. The clicking you have left sounds normal relay action and we have a wish-list item to reduce even that. I hope if gives you years of happy listening.

And, the 2.1.1 upgrade - give it a week or two for the instructions to be cleaned up and more people's experience to be documented - and then I'd try it - it's a nice upgrade for lots of reasons....

Geoff

Comment

• apotts
      • Jan 2004

Geoff, this isn't the relay issue, it's something some of us have that's quite different! The relays don't cycle, but you get a loud "click" out of the speakers. Sometimes, loud enough to worry you of speaker damage.

Sridhar, well done for getting a good one! I had exactly this problem with my first (thumping, glitching, EM sensitivity to heaters and refrigerators turning on), and I got it replaced. Trouble is, my second one has gradually (over a couple of months) picked up the symptoms of the first one. Just today, it has got to the stage where the fridge on/off cycle has escalated from a nasty click through the surrounds to a complete cut off of the digital signal from the DVD...

I have an expensive power conditioner on order, if that doesn't fix it sadly I'll have to ditch the 1098. I can't have my movie / CD sound stop every time someone switches on a light!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"