X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Rotel and HDMI

I am waiting until the new version of the 1068 becuase of the in hopes that it will not only have HDMI switching, but it will acutally process the new HD Audio Format. I realize this may or may not happen, but does anyone know if HDMI will be the ONLY way to transer the Audio protion of the new format? Does this mean that the video must go through the processor?
  • spkerguy
    • Jun 2005

From what I am reading from posts on AVSforum, it looks like the only way to get the lossless transmission of the new audio formats will be with HDMI version 1.3. HDMI version 1.2a was just finalized and I can't think of any receivers/prepros that it is in. HDMI v1.3 specifications have not even been agreed upon yet and once they finnally are (maybe towards the end of the year), it will be a good 6mo to a year before we start to see them in electronics. My Processor just lost the center/sub inputs and I'm in the market now for a new one. I wish I could wait a year or more but I'm probably going to go for the 1068 or one resembling it.

Ken

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by spkerguy
      From what I am reading from posts on AVSforum, it looks like the only way to get the lossless transmission of the new audio formats will be with HDMI version 1.3. HDMI version 1.2a was just finalized and I can't think of any receivers/prepros that it is in. HDMI v1.3 specifications have not even been agreed upon yet and once they finnally are (maybe towards the end of the year), it will be a good 6mo to a year before we start to see them in electronics. My Processor just lost the center/sub inputs and I'm in the market now for a new one. I wish I could wait a year or more but I'm probably going to go for the 1068 or one resembling it.

Ken
      did you read if that means people with current HDMI inputs on their TVs wont be able to review HD sources because we dont have version 1.3?

Comment

• Sim reality
        • Aug 2005

I believe the changes to HDMI 1.2 and above are just to do with the transmission of audio.

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

From all the info I have, regarding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD (The two lossless formats), in order for the PROCESSOR to handle a digital signal, you'll need HDMI v1.3

However, if the player has the requisite decoders, then it can send the decoded multi channel LPCM over HDMI 1.1 to the processor... There's also analog output, but there's a chance they may decide to limit lossless output to the digital connections... nothing concrete on that front yet.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

That's my understanding as well Clepto
            Jason

Comment

• rockbobmel
              • Dec 2005

Clepto,

My RSP-1098 does not have HDMI. Will the signal work over toslink?
              Bob M.- Visit! http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepjij3/

Rotel RSP-1098
              Rotel RB 1080
              Rotel RB 976
              Arcam CD192
              Arcam DV89
              Arcam P-25
              Panasonic DMP BD55
              Samsung HD 42 Plasma
              Klipsch RF-7s Dean Xovers
              Klipsch RC-7 x 2 Dean Xovers
              Klipsch RS-62s
              Klipsch RSW-15
              Velodyne ULD-15

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

My RSP-1098 does not have HDMI. Will the signal work over toslink?
                Toslink doesn't have the bandwidth for DTS HD and Dolby True HD.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                  Toslink doesn't have the bandwidth for DTS HD and Dolby True HD.
                  Though apparently you can get a downsampled version of the new formats over SPDIF
                  Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

Actually it's just Dolby 5.1 and DTS. Both future formats are backwards compatible.

The only 2 ways to hear the new formats are:

Analog outs using the players decoder and HDMI.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

That's why I said downsampled Shane The player downsamples the HD sound formats to vanilla DD/DTS to transmit over SPDIF.
                      Jason

Comment

• spkerguy
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                        did you read if that means people with current HDMI inputs on their TVs wont be able to review HD sources because we don't have version 1.3?

From what I have read there is a difference between the video and audio for HDMI. Even the first HDMI specs are capable of transmitting HD video (720p and 1080p) however not all electronic manufactures decided to integrate the 1080p format into their TVs. Here is a good link for more info on HDMI: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/faq.asp Now for audio it is completely different. You need HDMI version 1.3 to take full advantage of Dolby True HD. From what some insiders have told me it is going to be at LEAST a year before we start seeing them come out. This is why I ordered the 1068 a couple of days ago and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Yup, 1.3 is primarily about audio formats, even HDMI 1.1 is capable of 1080p (even if the display is not)
                          Jason

Comment

• Clepto
                            • Feb 2006

I believe HDMI 1.1 was 1080p 'optional', so it's more a factor of the HDMI chip/board than anything else. Some HDMI 1.1 ports weren't designed to pass 1080p for whatever reason (probably cost).

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"