Rgds Steve.
  • snowball
    • Feb 2006

great!!!

you must be very happy!

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Man did they mess that up and ship it to you...well please send it to me (I'll cover the cost)...

Thanks!

Enjoy Steve, definitely give it some time to "break in" and get used to the sound it produces, I can't wait to see some type of review!
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Stevebez
        • Oct 2003

First thoughts ...

From sound quality perspective indistinguishable from RB1080 ... BUT this thing goes REALLY loud ... did not have the guts to push it beyond 60 on the volume control ... no sign of distortion / compression.

Another note is ... its TINY. Slimer than 1080 by some degree ... and needs getting used to equating the power output to the size of the unit.

When little one and wife are away I'll give it a good blast. Had maybe 15 hours on it since new ... mostly ticking over.

Have it running from 1068 into B&W 803D's... richer bass from B&W's for sure ... BUT ... I still prefer to have the Velodyne DD12 doing the hard work sub 40hz.

Top end is as sweet as the 1080 - no sign of any harshness whatsoever. It does sound a bit cleaner - i.e. less emotion ... very slightly less silky. Background is dead quiet. Sound is a bit in your face - volume wise. This unit in a 7.1/5.1 config would be absolutely mind blowing.

Will get the Freq response calibration tool from the Velo system to assess any real diffs between the two amps ...

To summarise - I have a RB1080 for sale!

More detailed review to follow after more time ... to break in and listen.

Rgds Steve

Comment

• mattburk
          • Feb 2003

"From sound quality perspective indistinguishable from RB1080, It does sound a bit cleaner - i.e. less emotion ... very slightly less silky."
          Why is the 1080 for sale and not the 1092?
          www.mycstone.com
          www.coverednow.com
          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Joey_V
            • Jul 2005

I agree with Matt... why?
            Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
            Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• obiwan
              • Jul 2005

Oh, I was hoping it would be more refined than the 1080. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Rotel, after all I do have their old premium Michi Pre, Power and Cd player, not to mention their RSP 985 Processor. I was hoping the 1092 was going to be a real world beater, not just in power and control, but in finesse as well. I also have the Bel Canto eVo2i and I would like my next amp to be significantly better that that, I was hoping the 1092 would deliver. I'll try it out when it makes it to Australia.

Comment

• mattburk
                • Feb 2003

looks like I will wait for the 400 from ci audio. Their 100watt first generation amp just got a sterophile class b award.
                www.mycstone.com
                www.coverednow.com
                www.biarenton.com

Comment

• Stevebez
                  • Oct 2003

Guys ... this is from mbe 10mins of proper listening ... its the sheer power of the unit that makes me situp and take note ... my wife noticed no difference other than the volume setting needs to be a few db lower.

I thought of doing a left rb1080 / right rb1092 comparison but the rb1092 will be louder at any normal listening level - but I may still do this and use the balance to even out the spl's and have a listen.

The 1092 complements the 803D's much better too ... mids are sharper, and bass now rock solid. The 1080 was good - but only up to a point in the bass region.

So when I say slightly less silky ... I mean this in a good way - Rotel is known for their smooth style, and for some mbe too smooth ... the 1092 has purpose ... soundstage is also closer to you, but I would not say too close.

So I am not going to say anymore until I have let her settle in and do the 1080 / 1092 side by side.

1080 is still for sale guys !

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• snowball
                    • Feb 2006

I think that the 1million dollar question that will come up shortly will be :

RB-1090 vs RB-1092

and i would love to hear the answer!

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by snowball
                      I think that the 1million dollar question that will come up shortly will be :

RB-1090 vs RB-1092

and i would love to hear the answer!
                      Love to read this shoot out. I played arond many times with the RB1090 and it sounds so good. In my opnion, it kinda sticks out. It has a Rotel quality to it but a smoothness that all others lack(Rotel that is). If the new digital amps sound as good or better then the rb1090, my RMB1095 will be for sale allday.

Dan

Comment

• MoonSpin
                        • Jan 2005

The RB-1090 wins in my book.

I just did a side-by-side over the weekend with the RB-1090 and the RB-1092, the dealer was trying to get me to go for the new RB-1092 and let me take it home over the weekend for a demo and get my thoughts to him how I liked it.

Well guys, for me, I am sticking to my RB-1090. I overall much prefer it over the RB-1092. The RB-1092 is nice but a bit different in sound, it's hard to put into words but I would say a little harder in sound, not as smooth as the RB-1090, and I think the RB-1090 has more control/power still, and sweeter. The RB-1092 is impressive for what it can do for it's size and such but I'm much prefering the RB-1090 over it. The RB-1090 weighs near 100 pds, the RB-1092 near 23 pounds so the RB-1092 saves you near 80 pds of weight iffen you need the weight save.

Perhaps this be good for me to have the RB-1090 for much longer as not compelled to move over to the RB-1092. Both are nice so your gonna have to give a close listen to decide between the RB-1090 and RB-1092 of which sound you prefer! I'm even more fond of my RB-1090, love this amp! :T

Comment

• Stevebez
                          • Oct 2003

I think this class A/B vs "D" amp is going to be like the vinyl vs CD debate ...

Rgds Steve

Comment

• mattburk
                            • Feb 2003

Originally posted by MoonSpin
                            I just did a side-by-side over the weekend with the RB-1090 and the RB-1092, the dealer was trying to get me to go for the new RB-1092 and let me take it home over the weekend for a demo and get my thoughts to him how I liked it.

Well guys, for me, I am sticking to my RB-1090. I overall much prefer it over the RB-1092. The RB-1092 is nice but a bit different in sound, it's hard to put into words but I would say a little harder in sound, not as smooth as the RB-1090, and I think the RB-1090 has more control/power still, and sweeter. The RB-1092 is impressive for what it can do for it's size and such but I'm much prefering the RB-1090 over it. The RB-1090 weighs near 100 pds, the RB-1092 near 23 pounds so the RB-1092 saves you near 80 pds of weight iffen you need the weight save.

Perhaps this be good for me to have the RB-1090 for much longer as not compelled to move over to the RB-1092. Both are nice so your gonna have to give a close listen to decide between the RB-1090 and RB-1092 of which sound you prefer! I'm even more fond of my RB-1090, love this amp! :T
                            Take him up on his offer, you already have the 1090 run the 1092 for a week and let us know
                            www.mycstone.com
                            www.coverednow.com
                            www.biarenton.com

Comment

• MoonSpin
                              • Jan 2005

Switching it back and forth between the two really gets confusing. Sometimes I think I hear something more than the other, then when I go back and listen, it's there in both. They both are nice amps. I won't move to the RB-1092, I already have the RB-1090 and it's already money well spent for me to justify spending more to move to the RB-1092 unless I was hearing a difference to justify it. I think Rotel did a really good job, it sounds very nice. There isn't much not to like about it. I still prefer the RB-1090 but that isn't saying that I don't like the RB-1092, because I do, I actually wouldn't mind having both! :T Sometimes I think I could hear just a slight nod easier to hear whispers or faint backgrounds maybe in the RB-1092 but I'm just not totally sure, could be all in my head. I sat all night that evening trying to figure it out and it's just darn confusing if I'm hearing more or not. :E

Comment

• Stevebez
                                • Oct 2003

Thats the thing with this stuff ... sometimes its just such a fine difference that its almost indiscernable and then you start ghosting ... i.e. seeing and hearing things which aren't there. To me - so far - the 1092 is just a much more powerfull 1080, whose fuses dont blow ... (well not yet), and this is what I needed to drive the B&W803D's better.

I have unfortunately been away and have not had an opportunity to open this baby up yet ... but letting her run in nice and quiet and I will give her some serious bashing when I am alone at home !

I honestly think I could switch to 3x1092 and 1x1091 (budget allowing of course) and probably never have to worry about amps again ... ever... for stereo or home theatre. Space, weight, performance ... I cannot wait to hear these things in a 5.1 / 7.1 config.

So apologies on the delayed review but with a 13mnth old in the house - it aint easy getting time!

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• miner
                                  • Mar 2005

Stevebez,
                                  I will be interested to hear your opinion once you 'open up' your RB-1092. This weekend I gradually got my volume control on my RB-1090 to the 12 o'clock position.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                    • Oct 2003

OK not an "official" review yet - need to give it longer ... but I got some more time on this amp over the weekend ... and ...

It makes my RB1080 look like noddy. My B&W803D's have now come to life.

So I agree the 1080 comparison is perhaps a little unfair and a RB1090 would be more fair, but in almost every aspect the RB1092 is better than the RB1080.

I used to listen with the RB1080 in stereo mode with the Velodyne DD12 filling in the bottom end from around 60hz, as this is the only way I could get a good full sound. Now with RB1092 - its bliss in bypass mode. RB1080 felt limp by comparison in bypass.

In short highs are as good as RB1080 - yes thats true, I thought I might be disappointed here ... but I was pleasantly surprised, given all the talk of "noise" from the filters on PWM amps at high freq etc etc ... well I cannot hear it and trust me I was looking for it.

Mids are fantastic ... voices more forward... but the coup de gras was the low end... Wow. Tight, clear, precise, full, limitless ... these are words that come to mind.

Overall though it sounds very nicely balanced. With the bass less "rolly" mids and highs are less masked. You are continually tempted to "pump up the volume" on this unit as it seems to get better the louder it goes... I do find myself listening to stuff at higher spl's than on the RB1080 .. for whatever reason.

Again I have not heard a RB1090 so cannot comment on which is better.

If I have a 7.1 with 3x1092 and 1x1091 ... think I would not live my lounge ... ever.

I dont have DVD-A or SACD ... waiting for HD-DVD / BLUERAY to see what is the result, but will listen to some DVD-A in DD5.1 & DTS to see if I can pick up any diffs. Still need to do a side by side left/right & reverse WITH RB1080. Get my wife to hook it up and do it blind ... that should put me to the test!!

Rgds Steve.

P.S. I see Yamaha have come up with their own version - very similar specs but it costs exactly 2x as much as the 1092... they market their MXD1 as "Created for Audio Purists , by Audio Purists". The spec sheet looks remakably similar to the RB1092 , although freq response is 1-100khz, damping 200, & SN ratio 120, THD slightly higher at 0.1%

Still dont quite understand this PWM thing...

Rgds Steve.
                                    Last edited by Stevebez; 27 March 2006, 09:38 Monday.

Comment

• darrill
                                      • Mar 2006

I just purchased the 1092 to power a set of 803D's and the alternative amp I was contrasting it with was the 1090. Both were very good but I found the 1092 cleaner and the mid-range especially had more clarity and separation. The sound seemed slightly warmer with the 1090. I too have the same "problem" as Steve in that you can push this amp/speaker combination very loud without distortion or any added noise and they are very easy to listen to for long periods. I would not trade a 1090 for a 1092 but as a new purchaser the size, weight and lower heat combined with the cleaner mid-range would justify the added cost. Rgds, Darrill

Comment

• miner
                                        • Mar 2005

After comparing my RB-1070 side-by-side with my RB-1092 this weekend I can honestly comment on the fact that the ICEpowered digitals are an awesome improvement. If Iwas a HT fan I would definitely get a RMB-1077.

I thought my RB-1070 was a good amp when purchased last year. I have found my RB-1092 to be superior in all aspects; highs, mids & lows especially. I am now contemplating selling my ASW800 sub. I was concerned when I first bought the RB-1092 that it would be too bright - not the case at all. Not quite neutral (highs & Mids a bit fwd) but very close to being that way. I have listened to a well-broken in RB-1090 and quite homestly, IMHO, if I had to choose between the two, the RB-1092 would get my vote again. Size is a big issue for me, as it is for my wife (she is very happy, too).

Comment

• gianni
                                          • Nov 2002

Good news. Now if Rotel would only come out with a less expensive tiny wimpy 150- 200 watt version for those of us that don't need 500w.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gianni
                                            those of us that don't need 500w.
                                            I don't get it????
                                            Who in the world does not need 500 amps?????

But hey Gianni, it is definitely Good news. Think of how the used market is going to flood with all these poor 'inferior' class A/B 'relics'!

Oh Baby! I see 1070's stacked to my ceiling! (I wonder if I can bi-amp my ceiling fan?). Hey guys, I am the first in line to admit it. I am a bottom feeder, plain and simple.

As for size, it matters to me, too.
                                            The Bigger the Better. I am fortunate to have the room, and while I don't by gear for the way it looks, I like the visual impact of big pointy heat-sink fins and elephant size footprints.

But then, I have dreams at night of amps with tubes the size of the ones Dr. Frankenstein had in his lab!
                                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"