X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arnold van Oostrum
    • Sep 2002

RCD990 - the best Rotel CD player?

In '97 Rotel made a superb CD player, the RCD990. For what I know it was limited available for a short time. So I was wondering...

How many are made? Is it really the best CD player Rotel has ever made? What was so special about this player?

Which of you guys/girls does own this player and do you still have it?
    If you don't, why did you sell it?

If you could get a used one, would you buy it?

Are there any tests available?
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

I've heard the RCD-991 is one of the best players Rotel has made, and periodically see them up for auction (around $500). I own the RCD-1070 CD player, but I would have enjoyed an A/B audio comparison against the RCD-991.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

Arnold,

The 990 as far as I know had the Philips CDM-9Pro drive That was one of the best, also used in the RCD-975 and RCD-970.

However when Philips stopped producing it, the 990 was replaced by the 991. The dacs as far as I know are the same in the 990 and the 991. It just uses a differenent (cheaper) drive mechanism. Also the price was a bit lower of the unit.

I suspect only a few hundred are made, so they might be hard to find. Bit it is definately the best player ever build by Rotel.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"