X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stev
    • Sep 2005

Passive Bi-amp with 1075

Hi
    I have spent a few hours searching the forum on this topic and have a few questions that I cant seem to find answers for. I am probably 50/50 2ch music/movies, and have a 1056. As such I have been advised not to go with a more powerfull stereo amp due to the mismatch in power across the front 3 speakers. I have the possiblity of getting a second hand 1075 and was thinking of doing the passive bi-amp setup with the spare ch driving the center. From searching other threads it seems as though with the speakers I have this is a worthwhile exercise, however does this also have the same effect of a mismatch in power across the front speakers ? Or is it not really an issue ?

Thanks

Steve
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

What speakers do you have? I have the 1075 with 3x B&W 703, and now passively bi-amp L/R because this brought a big improvement, with the center just normal amplified. What I now know for sure, 1075 can benefit from a passive bi-amp configuration. This may depend on the speakers though.

Comment

• Stev
      • Sep 2005

My mains are whatmough opus 30's - they have dual binding posts - 2 way 91db 4 ohms.

Steve

Comment

• JDH
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Stev
        My mains are whatmough opus 30's - they have dual binding posts - 2 way 91db 4 ohms.

Steve
        Steve,

Over the weekend I picked up my Whatmough Performance series, P32 mains, P7 centre, Pfx rears, Hurricane sub etc. When I get a chance I'll compare bi-wiring it with my RB-1080 vs Bi-amping it with my RMB-1075, at this stage it is my intention to use the RB-1080 for my mains and RMB-1075 for the surrounds in a 6.1 system ie. the RMB-1075 running the 3 pfx rears and bi-amping the P7 centre with the remaining two channels of the RMB-1075.

In terms of mismatch of amplification, I do not notice any issues between the RB-1080 and RMB-1075, can't really comment on your receivers built in amplifiers though but couldn't see it being an issue. If 2 ch music is the main reason for the upgrade I'd probably opt for the RB-1070 over the RMB-1075 if I couldn't justify a new RB-1080.

Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Stev
          • Sep 2005

Well I got the second hand 1075 and have hooked it up using just the front L&R at the moment - its definetly a step up from using the amps in the 1056 !!!

Steve

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"