X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VGuarino
    • Oct 2004

RSX-1056 digital out and recording?

I have searched the forum but couldn't find any information. I have an RSX-1056 as well as a laptop with an M-Audio USB sound card connected to one of the 1056 optical inputs. So far so good. I've been using this setup to listen to music and streaming audio for a while now. Now I want to try recording some content from the 1056. From what I've read, the digital output (1 coax, 1 optical) is redirected from each digital input. I've got an optical cable connected to the digital out back to the input of the USB Sound card.

I basically get what I'd call, digital static. I've tried using the native sound recorder and J. River's Media Center v11 with the same results.

Is anyone out there recording from the digital output? Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks!
    Vin
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I've never tried the digital out, but a couple of things to try.

Have you seen if you can record direct from a CD or DVD player to rule out the soundcard/cable?

And secondly, just in case the the manual is wrong, set the REC OUT to the source you are trying to record and see what happens. Maybe it's based on the REC OUT loop instead of the listening input (as the manual states).

Kevin D.

Comment

• VGuarino
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
      Have you seen if you can record direct from a CD or DVD player to rule out the soundcard/cable?
      Kevin, I'm not sure what you mean. I am trying to record from the cable desktop box. It is connected to the 1056 by digital coax.

Yeah, I'm wondering how to test the input of the soundcard. It has an adapter where it senses either fiber or analog 1/4 jack. I'm suspicious of that.

Originally posted by Kevin D
      And secondly, just in case the the manual is wrong, set the REC OUT to the source you are trying to record and see what happens. Maybe it's based on the REC OUT loop instead of the listening input (as the manual states).

Kevin D.
      I manually set the REC OUT to the cable input, thinking the same thing. (Is that what you are referring to?)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I may must try using the analog in on the sound card instead of digital. Hmmm, if I did that, it would mean that I'd be using the 1056 DACs instead of the soundcard, right? If so, they may be better than the M-Audio.

Vin

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

My first tip meant to try and record directly out from the source. IE, plug the digital output of the cable box into the sound card and see what you get. From reading your reply, it sounds like the cable box has a coaxial output and the soundcard has an optical in, so that won't work.

Without the ability to verify that the switchbox is working, it's going to be hard determine what's at fault.

As far as using the analog out, you have to have analog in. The 1056 will not take a digital signal and covert it to analog for the record or zone outputs. So you would have to run additional analog cables to your cable box and in turn you would actually be recording off the cable box's DAC's.

One last thought, what were you trying to record? If it was a Dolby Digital source, maybe the soundcard does not support it? A DD signal would be considered 'digital static' if not played through a decoder unit. Also, is there a way to set what type of signal to record? Most cable boxes are going to be 48khz PCM, instead of the typical CD player that does 44.1khz PCM.

Kevin D.

Comment

• VGuarino
          • Oct 2004

Kevin,

I had posted a long reply to you and it got messed up. I'm too frustrated to re enter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have proven the analog input on the sound card works, outside the rotel and yes, you are right about using the analog out of the 1056, that's really not the way to go.

I am trying to record music from some of the HD channels. I suppose I should try setting the input to PCM and see what happens.

I also had a problem (I think) with the sound card when both input and output are connected. The output doesn't work correctly.

Anyway, I'll keep trying...thanks for all the suggestions.
          Vin

Comment

• VGuarino
            • Oct 2004

Okay, here is much more information!

Thanks to Mike Sheehan of Rotel for clarifying the digital output for me. Yes, the digital output is working. No processing occurs on the digital out. So if the input is Dolby Digital, the digital out will be DD. If the input is PCM, the output will be PCM, no matter what the 1056 does to process it.

So on put a CD into my DVD player, which will output the CD as PCM, I then tried recording through the sound card via the Digital output on the 1056. It worked!

So bottom line, I need either a software package that knows what to do with DD coming in, or I need to change the cable box to PCM if possible.

Thanks for all your help and I hope this helps someone else!

Vin

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"