X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan White
    • Sep 2005

Not happy with RMB-1095 driving B&W 802's

I'm running RMB 1095 and Im not happy with the sound Im getting out of my 802. Its great for my 805s. Any suggestion?
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Dan White
    I'm running RMB 1095 and Im not happy with the sound Im getting out of my 802. Its great for my 805s. Any suggestion?
    What are you not happy about? Can you be more specific?
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Dan,

I've split this out as it really is a different topic that deserves its own posts...

If you are talking the previous generation (last year) B&W 802 speakers - then I am not surprised you are not happy with the RMB-1095... They are current hungry beasts and very revealing of any weaknesses in you amp...

The RB-1090 does an "OK" job of drving the 802s though.... However you may want to consider the new RB-1092 digital amps when they are out... Othewise it is moving away from the Rotel range al together...

Geoff

Comment

• AB11
        • Jul 2005

A few weeks ago I listened to a pair of 802D with a 1095 and they sounded very, very good. I was impressed.
        I am no B&W expert so an 802D might not have any relationship to an 802. Nonetheless those 802Ds sounded amazing.

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

Rotel can and will drive the 802's. Now that doesn't mean they will sound the way you want them 2. It also may not be the amp , it could be your room and the level of everything else in your system not up to the 802's level.

There is alot to be said about matching a system correctly. Rotel may not be for you anymore. Then again go ovedr the entire system and try to find it's weakest link.

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dan White

Get a better amp.
            Adz

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

After hearing Rotel on many B&W's, IMHO, all FST B&W's (703, 804-800) need better amplification than Rotel, period. I would never have bought 703's if I couldn't have bought a McIntosh amp to go with it... The Rotel RCD-1072 is a very great value though!

This is my experience, yours may vary depending on source, cables, and the list goes on...

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

Why don't you try some bigger speakerscables
                Because 802 seeem need much more current than 805

Comment

• lvhung
                  • Jun 2005

How large is your room
                  may be your room is a bit small for 802

Comment

• Dan White
                    • Sep 2005

To all the question above. I have a large room it’s about 50 meter. My whole apartment is 4000 sq ft. I have 802 matrix ser. IM not sure why but the sound separation from proceed amp 5 was better. I was thinking of getting the RMB 1090 for my fronts. IM running monster 1.4 bi-wire for the fronts.

Comment

• lvhung
                      • Jun 2005

This forum does not allow to talk about any specific cables

but It could not hurt trying some better speakers cables before
                      going up to 1090.

Monster is not deserved not the same level as BW 802

Comment

• RACER4551
                        • Apr 2004

I second the cable swap as i have been there done that and couldnt beleive the difference in what was being held back as far as sound quality.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Shoot Doug an email Doug (Lex) @ CatCables He host's these wonderful forums and his cables are top notch. He should be able to let you know if you'll be able to get the improvement you are looking for.

But I do agree with most everyone else, you will probably want to step up a bit on the amp side.

Kevin D.

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

Cables could make a difference...but you also might want to demo the NuForce Ref9 amp (well two since they are a mono block). I've heard, though not for myself, that they are amazing amps. Infact doing more than what Bryston and Classe have done as far as quality and completely authority over ones speakers. Plus they've had better control over the bass drivers than just about any of the amps. At least that's what I've been hearing from people demoing the units.

Plus it's all digital with very little heat and small and compact.
                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                            -Dan

Comment

• Dan White
                              • Sep 2005

Thaks everyone for the advises.

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Dan, does the RMB-1095 have a switch that specifies whether you are using balanced or unbalanced interconnects? My RB-1080 has a balanced/unbalanced switch on the back. I use unbalanced (RCA) interconnects. If the switch is mistakenly set to balanced I get the same disappointing performance that you have described. I have examined the back panel drawing of the RMB-1095 and I can't see a switch, but perhaps it has a soft switch?

And of course you have checked that the speakers are in phase, haven't you?

Comment

• Dan White
                                  • Sep 2005

Thanks Bigburner, but no I don't have a balance/unblance switch. Im going to buy some new front speaker wire from Audio quest.

Comment

• Dan White
                                    • Sep 2005

I got my new audioquest speaker wire's and what a difference. Thanks everyone!

Comment

• grit
                                      • Jan 2005

Can I ask what you were using BEFORE you changed them? Just generic wire? And where did you purchase it?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2003

Dan,

Good to see it worked out for you...

And becuase those cables didn't cost too much you can take your time in finding out of a even better amplifier does it for you!!

Geoff

Comment

• Blazar
                                          • Feb 2004

I would be SURE that the problem is not the room...

different speakers respond differently in different rooms.

The 802 diamonds sounded much better in terms of bass response than the 802N's but the difference was much less pronounced with room treatments.
                                          Blazar!
                                          (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"