X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hyenna
    • Sep 2003

Dynamic range ... Stuck?

I'm fresh out of ideas to solve my problem...
    I bough a new 1066 and it sounds like the "Dynamic Range" option is always engaged.

Here is why I think so :
    1) Dolby soundtracks lack dynamics, DTS ones do not
    2) My old Yamaha receiver doesn't lack any dynamics on both DD or DTS (hence, it's not the DVD player or Amplifier)
    3) Changing the "Dynamic Range" setting on the fly while watching a movie on the Rotel doesn't seem to do anything - while on the Yamaha I can definitely hear a difference (i.e. explosions and what not aren't as loud)

What did I do wrong? My 1066 came with rev. 2.26_030704... Haven't tried replacing the firmare yet because I thought 2.26 was the latest one...
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

It may be broken. I've had that happen before, but not on my Rotel. Is the dealer near you? If so, you might take a disc to his shop and test it on a display unit to see if it reacts differently to the unit you own.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd do a factory reset and maybe update the firmware just to be sure its not something easy but if that doesn't fix it swap it for another one at your dealer

Comment

• Hyenna
        • Sep 2003

After a few more testing, SPL meter in hand, I've determined that the dynamic range is fine. Although, the "Dynamic Range Compression" on the Rotel does absolutly nothing (yes, I'm using it on Dolby Digital tracks and not anything else). For example, "Fight Club"'s infamously loud plane crash scene is as loud at "Dymanic Range : Max" as is it at "Dynamic Range : Min". I've tested firmware 2.24 and 2.26 and they sound the same as far as that goes.

Anyone can tell me if that function is working for them?
        Don't want to bring my new baby down to the dealer just yet - beside that little problem, I'm very happy with it

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'll try and test my 1098 to see if I notice a difference with dynamic range turned on or not but honestly I've never used that mode on any processor I've owned in past.

Comment

• will1066
            • Aug 2003

I've had to use the dynamic range feature over the last few days because my mother's around. I've been watching Gladiator and The Matrix and the compression is very noticeable. I don't think yours is working.

Comment

• Hyenna
              • Sep 2003

Edit : Another edit as I redid the tests and came up with more conclusive results.

My setup consist of 4 speakers and a subwoofer, I don't use a center channel, which may be why I found out this little discrepancy. Let me explain my latest findings.

Setting Center : Small
              -------------------------
              * Dynamic compression option works as asvertized.
              *No problem at all on the different Dolby tracks I tested

Setting Center : None
              -------------------------
              This is where it gets interesting...
              * Dynamic range option not working anymore, SPL meter levels stays the same during the plane crash scene in "Fight Club" while engaging the different levels of compression (while they changed with Center : small)
              * Levels are 3-5dB lower then with Center : small during that same scene (taken from the 2 front speakers running only and at Dynamic Range Compression : Max. i.e. at off)

I've taken the care to recalibrate using the Rotel's internal tones when I switched from Center : small setting to Center : none. The levels were the same, so I didn't have to do much (still speaking only for the 2 front speakers).

Conclusion:
              -------------
              I don't think I have a faulty unit. I think there is something weird going on when you set the center to none. I'm betting this is fixable through firmware upload.

I would appreciate if someone could validate my findings... If not, then I truly have a weird/defective unit, although I would find this strange.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"