X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mave
    • Dec 2004

RB-1080 repair and change in sound

I've had my RB-1080 repaired. This time not a fuse but a "resistance" (translated from Dutch - hope I'm right..) needed to be changed.
    Can that result in a different sound ? It is as if the bass is less tight and the sound stays more inside the speakers...
    Or will some more hours of using it solve the problem ??

Thanks
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mave
    I've had my RB-1080 repaired. This time not a fuse but a "resistance" (translated from Dutch - hope I'm right..) needed to be changed.
    Can that result in a different sound ? It is as if the bass is less tight and the sound stays more inside the speakers...
    Or will some more hours of using it solve the problem ??

Thanks
    I had the Fuse/Resistor/Capacitor modification to hopefully fix the left channel fuse failure problem, I didn't notice any change in sound quality, however for what ever reason I notice that it runs considerably cooler than the two unmodified RB-1080 power amps I had originally prior to their exchanged for a new modified unit.
    Last edited by JDH; 13 June 2005, 07:56 Monday.
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• DrJRapp
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2003

The whole fix of the 1080 consists of changing a resistor, a capacitor, the fuses and readjusting the bias for optimum. When my 1080 repair was done, I too noticed a sound quality change similar to what you describe. The explanation from Rotel was that the bias adjustment caused the shift in sound at lower levels.
      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• mave
        • Dec 2004

DRJRapp, meaning I have to live with it or have them "undo" the modification ??

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

Do you find the sound less pleasing? I didn't. I found the 1080 to have more bottom end at lower volumes. Perhaps you may call this "less tight"...to me there was just more there.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• mave
            • Dec 2004

Yes, I like the bass to sound strong and tight and not a bit "zooming" like it does now. I'll contact them to see what can be done. Maybe they used different resistors or something....

Comment

• Cowanrg
              • Feb 2004

some parts take time to break in. not sure of that mod would apply though...

you could always readjust the bias

Comment

• gianni
                • Nov 2002

Does anyone know if the problem requiring this fix to the rb-1080 affects the rb-1070 or is this specific to the 1080?

Thanks

Comment

• Mitchell
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by gianni
                  Does anyone know if the problem requiring this fix to the rb-1080 affects the rb-1070 or is this specific to the 1080?

Thanks
                  The problem to the 1080 is unique to the 1080 as I understand it.
                  Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"