X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSonicSmith
    • Feb 2005

Need help with RSX-1056 in stereo mode

I have a brand new 1056 running B&W 603s in front, 602s in back, and a HTM7 in center. DVD/CD player is a Denon 2910. My HT room in 98% done but I don't yet have my front projector and screen mounted and hooked up. In the meantime, I dieing to hear the system in simple stereo mode and I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to break in the speakers.
    I'm not getting any bass out of the front speakers. Doesn't matter if I use the coaxial digital audio out or the analogue RCA interconnects into the CD source inputs. Doesn't matter if I push the "stereo" button on the front panel. Doesn't matter if push the "CD" button on the front panel of the receiver or the "direct" button. Tried to read the manual and use the remote to change the settings in the service menu but can't seem to get into the service menu. I suspect from reading the manual that my lack of bass is due to the pre-sets and that I need to get into the service menu and re-set the front speakers for "large". However, I'm having no success at all getting into the service menu. Do I need to have my video hooked up for this? I wouldn't think it would make any difference. Help, please.
  • FSonicSmith
    • Feb 2005

I've tried to research this issue and found this in the archives:

"Bill unfortunatly you can't set speakers on or off for each mode its a global setting.

Andrew,
    That's a shame. 2-CH Direct should mean just that, NOT 2.1!! I know of $500 receivers that don't force the user to adopt a "global" setting. In a $1500 piece from a 40 yr old company, I'd expect even more flexibility regarding bass-managament and speaker setup. Rotel's really let us music lovers with full-range mains down."

That's a fair assessment of what I've run into more than a year later after the above post and with the 1056 rather than the 1055-it wants to run in 2.1 mode even in stereo with all bass directed to LFE. Please tell me there's a simple fix!

Comment

• NonSense
      • Nov 2003

FSONIC

I will pass along my experience with the RSX-1055 with BM fix.

To access the setup menu, you will need some sort of video display device. You don't need your projector, just use a cheap TV with the single composite video out from the receiver. This will dispay the OSD on a black background so that you can complete the setup. Then you may select the speaker type as desired. This will also allow you to properly assign the correct input to the desired source device.

Alternatively, I have found on the 1055 that the speaker type (large or small) has no effect when using the External Analog Inputs (the 5.1 inputs for SACD or DVDA). Which seem to operate as true analog inputs. (Closest that the 1055 comes to a true bypass) No A/D - D/A process which is required to strip the LF. I have my mains set to small for 5.1 operation (ie: movies) and just use the EXT inputs for my 2-CH listening which give me the full range to the MAINs without having to change the global setting. (The BM fix removed the unwanted LFE channel when using this input) I have tested the EXT with both Small and Large settings and to me there was no audible difference, so I leave the global setting as Small.

The 1056 is supposed to offer a greater variety of inputs which operate under the bypass mode. Maybe someone else can comment. There have been a couple of threads on this very discussion recently.

Hopefully, you will find that what Rotel lacks in SW features they make up with in audio performance. Now that I have the sytem configured as I like, I never enter the config menu's.
      Bruce

Comment

• soundhound
        • Mar 2004

You need a video monitor to get you're menu, then set up as you are thinking, should solve you're problem

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

There's nothing wrong with the software. Just turn the sub off in the 2-channel mode. Rotel has one of the most flexible (and best IMO) bass management out there allowing you to set different sub levels or to turn the sub completely off for every sound format.
          Jason

Comment

• Kens1
            • Mar 2005

Something doesn't sound right here. When I push the 2 channel button twice on my 1056 it shows bypass on the reciever screen and only th L & R speakers light up with no sub - which it is supposed to do. It doesn't matter what you have the speakers set to in the OSD because when you get bypass mode it will automatically send all the sound to the mains. I get full sound from my mains in this mode and it sounds incredible.
            Maybe there is something wrong with your firmware that won't let you enter bypass mode properly?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"