X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleeper_red
    • Sep 2004

I need your opinion

I'm using a $129 Sony CD/DVD player for my 2 channel using the RCA jacks going to CD input on my Rotel RSX-1056. My question is, how much of a differece can a Rotel RCD-1072 make? Is it really worth the money? Thanks guys.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Is that to say you aren't using a digital connection to the 1056? If not that's a good place to start to improve the sound as Sony DVD players aren't generally known for good sounding DACs (ES model are a bit better though)

Comment

• benny
      • Jan 2005

Night and day difference. I've got a cheap little Sony that I use to toy around with SACD. Sounds super-thin with little detail compared to RCD-1070. Don't waste the cash if your speakers and rca's aren't up to snuff.

Comment

• sleeper_red
        • Sep 2004

I'm a die hard fan of 2 channel stereo. I have 705 mains, Monster M850 rca cables, Monster M1.4 bi-wire cables for my mains and center, SVS 20-39 subwoofer and Monster HTS3600 power center. The rest of the system (for surround) are HTM-7 center channel and B&W 600s3 rears. I know how much more expensive the RCD-702 is that's why I'm asking your opinion. Any more inputs? Please. Thanks. By the way, I only use the optical cable when watching movies.
        Last edited by sleeper_red; 07 March 2005, 20:02 Monday. Reason: additional information

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

You should try using the optical cable for stereo as well and let the Rotel's DAC's do the work. That will significantly improve the sound you hear for the time being but yes upgrading to the CD player will be a big jump as well.

Comment

• ajpoe
            • Jul 2004

or don't get a better cd player and get a DAC1 and then you can use it on any player that has an optical output. but, if you did so you'd have to switch your 5.1 out to the coax and run the optical to the DAC1 for 2 channel. but, if you truly love 2 channel as I do, the DAC1 is amazing.
            AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• DrJRapp
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2003

The RCD 1072 is a good choice. I know this is a Rotel forum and I really enjoy the overall sound of Rotel, but the rest of you will have to forgive me if I recommend another brand. If you want some truely amazing 2 channel audio I have found that the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C fills the bill for less than $500. The 640Cs specs trounce the 1072 in all but one area. As a matter of fact I replaced a Sony CD changer with The CA running analog to my 1098 and the sound and detail without a doubt on the level of a $2000 CD player from the more esoteric brands. This is mostly the result of it's Wolfson 24-bit/192kHz DACs that are also often used in many of the aforementioned high end players, along with very solid build quality and a custom designed transport with extremely low jitter. The 1072 uses excellent, but somewhat more pedestrian Burr-Brown 18 bit DACs.

I was so impressed that I bought a second Azur 640C for my 2 channel only setup in my library.
              Last edited by DrJRapp; 08 March 2005, 21:58 Tuesday.
              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Jerry, thanks for pointing out the CA Azur 640c, I have been reading a lot of reviews and am liking what I hear about this player. I was going to get the Rotel RCD-1072, but from what I read, I like what the CA 640c has to offer (and at a lower price). I'm thinking I might take the jump with this player here soon...

I also appreciate a forum that can respect that other manufacturers can produce quality (sometimes exceeding that which the forum is about). And respect people's opinions. If you had not mentioned this player I probably would never have considered it. Now I'm looking really hard into it. I just wish I could find a local dealer that has one to really listen to.

Thanks!

-Dan
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• ds22030
                  • Sep 2004

Another product getting great reviews is Music Hall cd player.....just picked one up used....

Comment

• audiofan
                    • May 2004

CA Azur 640c does not have HDCD , i think. The price is much cheaper than rcd-1072. However, i have never heard of 640c . So i can't compare., but i do like the sound and built quality of rcd-1072.

Comment

• thyname
                      • Jan 2005

Guys!! If you have a Rotel receiver or amp + Pre-amp, isn't it a great idea to have a Rotel CD player? First, rotel sounds best with rotel, second, you may want your cd player remote to control your Rotel receiver (or amp+pre-amp), third, esthetically, they look great together!!!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by audiofan
                        CA Azur 640c does not have HDCD , i think. The price is much cheaper than rcd-1072. However, i have never heard of 640c . So i can't compare., but i do like the sound and built quality of rcd-1072.
                        That is very true, and I considered that for about a second when I chose it. How many people have a vast collection of HDCDs? I think I have one. The 640C is as good as it is because it is a tightly focused product specializing on 2 channel conventional CDs and a very appealing price. It never tries to be a jack of all trades and a master of none.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• ds22030
                          • Sep 2004

Jerry, so did you keep your Rotel equip?
                          I just got the Music Hall and am listening to it....I have my initial impressions but plan to listen a bit longer before blindly recommending it.....

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

thyname,

I think it's more about quality than sticking to one "brand name." Why would you pass up on a great (if not better) product that you could get for cheaper, but doesn't have the same name as all the rest? Granted it is nice to have all the gear look the same, the CA is not out of place with the Rotel gear, it actually fits decent into the system. I'm about function over form. I want a great CD player even if it doesn't fit into "the asthetics" of my system, over a mediocre one that does fit in. I'm not saying the Rotel RCD-1072 is mediocre, just making a point...

As for the HDCD, I'm like Jerry, I think I MIGHT have one?! If even that. Everything I listen to, nothing is availabe in HDCD. Besides, you don't NEED an HDCD player to listen to an HDCD disc. As long as it has a digital out to your receiver and it plays HDCD (which my 1098 does) then I'm all good.

So far from the reviews I've read, there's been nothing but positive stuff said about the CA Azur 640c. Few minor things in the way of noise of the transport, but other have confirmed for me that this isn't the case with the 640c.

I'm the first one to say I'd love to stick with Rotel and get it all matching and working together (12v and all), but if I can get a CD player that has better DACs/Transports/almost everything... and get it a cheaper price... Why wouldn't I.

It's the same principle that I use to justify my getting the Chevrolet C6 Z06 Corvette over a higher priced Dodge Viper SRT-10. I'd rather take that extra $20K and put it into doing a nice twin turbo setup for the Vette....then see where the base Viper is in my rear view mirror.
                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                            -Dan

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"