X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sickman
    • Aug 2003

CD players for 1055

I need to upgrade my CD player. Here's my question: If I use the digital out from the CD player, then all the processing work is being done by my Rotel RSX 1055, right? If so, then won't a mass market CD player in, say, the $200 range sound just as good as a high-end, say, $1,000 player? I know some think "build quality" may be worth several hundred dollars more, but I don't. Let's assume the question is based strictly on sound.

thanks.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That's mostly true but the DAC's in the 1055 can be bettered with some stand alone players. check the used market and you should be able to find something suitable...though with the $200 price point you might find there's little diverence in which case just use your DVD player as a transport.

Comment

• Sickman
      • Aug 2003

Well, since I know nothing about DACs, what are some players (and their prices) with DACs better than those in the 1055? I guess my question was based on the assumption that to beat the 1055's DACs, I would have to spend some serious cash.

As for my DVD player, it also needs replacing and I'm overwhelmed with what's out there. The reason I don't want to use the DVD player as a transport is (though I hesitate to say it here) I kinda like the 5-CD changer thing. I know those are dirty words in the mid-high end world, but what can I say? I've gotten used to random play.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I haven't yet tried to many dedicated CD players other then my CD jukebox whch has a horrible DAC so its always connected digitally to the pre amp. I do find I prefer the DAC's in my Denon 1600 DVD player over the Rotels though but since you want a 5 disc unit you'll have to look at a 5 disc CD changer as well as the DVD player if you want to get the best of both worlds since there isn't a 5 disc DVD player that has great audio and DVD capabilities that I know off.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I haven't yet tried to many dedicated CD players other then my CD jukebox whch has a horrible DAC so its always connected digitally to the pre amp. I do find I prefer the DAC's in my Denon 1600 DVD player over the Rotels though but since you want a 5 disc unit you'll have to look at a 5 disc CD changer as well as the DVD player if you want to get the best of both worlds since there isn't a 5 disc DVD player that has great audio and DVD capabilities that I know off.

Comment

• dave
            • Aug 2003

My experience has been with my 1066 that if I use my sacd player & run it through the fiber optic input on the pre. the audio is really thin & compressed. If I switch to my pionier pdr04 cd recorder the audio improves quite a bit. Through the dvd player the audio is about the same as the sacd player. My point being that the cd recorder has what is called a stable platter mechinism it actually looks like a small turntable. I believe that this is the reason for the audio improvement. I want to say that there are alot of really good bargins on the web. For example I purchased a used $2400 cd player for 695 this player plays as good as alot of high end players do for a fraction of the cost. For maybe a little more money you can get something that possibly will make your walls disappear. I hope this has helped.

dave
            Dave...

Comment

• simonb68
              • Jan 2003

I don't think it's possible to discount build quality, since if you have effectively a transport and a DAC, which is what is being suggested then you have the not insignificant issue of jitter in the signal between transport and 1055. It is here that build quality comes into effect, particuarly in terms of the physical transport mechanism itself.
              I read an interesting thread on another forum about this whole issue of 'surely its just 1s and 0s', and whether a £200 transport with separate DAC could sound as good as a dedicated £1000 transport with a separate DAC. I think most would say that yes there is a difference, the question is whether its worth it. The choice and quality of outbaord DAC also makes a big difference, depending in whether it includes reclocking etc, I would expect a £1000 CD player to better the 1055. What that equates to in $$s I'm not sure, but higher end Arcam, Cyrus, Roksan etc

So I suppose it comes down to the individual to decide on what 'sounds just as good as', 'better quality' really means in terms of the cost/performance ratio. Some are willing to pay alot more for the 5-10% extra 'quality'.

If you're considering a multi changer then I would think the Rotel's DACs would sound better than the changer, but only way to find out is listen. If you prefer the changer then does that make the DACs better, even if they're cheaper, or just different. I think all would agree that more expensive does not necessarily mean better, but its all subjective anyway.

Simon

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

This week I bought a second hand Rotel RCD991, which one of their best cd players. It doesn't have the look of the 10 series, but sounds great and for a few hundred euro/dollar's its a good buy even 2nd hand.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Good find the 991's a great player:T

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

I'm very happy with the 991. Its unfortunate that it doesn't look pretty compared to the rest of my silver/black Rotel equipment, but its sounds great.

I know have it hooked up analogue through a Nordost red dawn interconnect to my RSP1066 (soon to be replaced by a 1098). The 1066 is connected through nordost blue heaven interconnect to the RB1090 and then through again Nordost blue heaven speakercable to the B&W N804's.

The sound is incredible ... the detail is great, the bass is not boomy but not too little and very tight.

The Rotel cd player was an incredible improvement to my Onkyo DV-SP800 dvd/sacd/cd/dvd-a player (based on a pioneer 747).

So, when looking at good cd players, please take second hand into account, bcoz i only paid 400 euro for this very very good player In that price range there is no new player for sale that can beat it.

Comment

• gd
                      • Jan 2003

Even at this late date, the retailers I've talked to still discourage the 5-disc DVD players in their stores, based on quality / reliability (although my brother has a Pioneer which works well connected digitally to a Marantz receiver).

To get the sound improvement you seek, you might try a Marantz 5-CD changer ($200-250), or open up the budget some and go for a Rotel or a Sony C222ES SACD changer ($3-500 if you can find one), but only you can determine whether that's a step up by trying them out... in any event, you'll not likely improve on the 1055's DACs for $200, especially if a changer is a must... there just aren't that many of them.

Otherwise, get a separate DVD player for movies only... go as cheap as possible, and base your choice on picture quality... "Secrets" is a good place to research that particular factor: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi
                      greg (gd to you)
                      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• eelco74
                        • Dec 2002

Rolf (or Scarp)

I would be very interested in purchasing your rsp-1066 if you upgrade to your 1098. Please keep me informed about this...

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Scarp
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by eelco74
                          Scarp

I would be very interested in purchasing your rsp-1066 if you upgrade to your 1098. Please keep me informed about this...
                          Its already sold to someone

Comment

• Scarp
                            • Mar 2003

Rotel Galore ... including now the RCD991

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Hey where did that THX logo come from?

Comment

• Scarp
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                Hey where did that THX logo come from?
                                The THX logo came from the online store of THX itself. I bought it somewhere at the beginning of this year and was only for sale for one or two months before being completely sold out. I was one of the last ones to receive it. Took a month to come here because there was such enormous amounts of demand on it.

Its a really neat one, from wood and a lot better than those plastic things from Dolby or DTS

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Damn i'd love one of those in my room :twisted:

Comment

• Scarp
                                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                    Damn i'd love one of those in my room :twisted:
                                    Maybe send them an email (thx or brandlocker who runs their online store) and ask them if there are new ones coming.

Comment

• Sickman
                                      • Aug 2003

How about trying the question this way: How do the DACs on Rotel's RCC-1055 compare to the DACs on my RSX-1055 (and what's with the model number)? Would having both be a big waste of money? Does anyone know street price on the Rotel cd player?

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"