X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

question on power wattage on rsx-1056

Hi,
    my listening/ht room is 12ft x 14ft. Do you think 75w/ch from rsx-1056 is enough for both ht(20%) and music (80%)? eventually, i will move this to bigger room but not larger than 14 x 20 .

thanks.
  • basementjack
    • Dec 2004

Audiofan,

Most likely, the 1056 will be fine, but we would need to know more about your speakers.

Tell us what kind of speakers you have, and if you know, the impedance and efficiency of your speakers.

Impedence is usually 8 ohms, but some speakers are rated at 4 ohms. 4 ohm speakers place greater demands on the receiver. Most receivers are not designed to take 4 ohm speakers.

Efficiency tells us how loud the speaker will play with one watt of power.
    Most speakers are around 90db or so - some are louder 100db for example, and many high end ones are lower, usually 87, but sometimes as low as 84.

I could go on and on, but instead I'll try and keep things simple, let us know what speakers you have and we'll help you out with a yes or now on the 1056.

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

Very good points,
      The rsx1056 is a wonderful sounding and very powerful receiver despite it's 75 watt rating. The real factor is current and the rsx1056 has plenty of it for all 5 channels.
      In that room it should be fine.In the new room it still should be fine depending on your speaker package.Please post your speaker package.

Dan

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

Sorry.... My speaker is Axiom (www.axiomaudio.com)
        Here is the spec:
        Millennia M60ti Specifications (FL/FR speaker)
        Max Amp Power 250 Watts
        Min Amp Power 10 Watts
        Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 37-22K
        Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz) 27-22K
        SPL in Room 1w/1m 93 dB
        Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 89 dB
        Impedance 8 Ohms
        Woofer Dual 6.5"
        Midrange 5.25"
        Tweeter 1"
        Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 37.5x9.25x15
        Weight 47 lbs per

VP150 Specifications (Center speaker)
        Max Amp Power 400 Watts
        Min Amp Power 10 Watts
        Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 85-22K
        Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz) 50-22K
        SPL in Room 1w/1m 95 dB
        Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 91 dB
        Impedance 6 Ohms
        Woofer Triple 5.25"
        Tweeter Dual 1"
        Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 7.5x26.5x7.5
        Weight 17 lbs per

Millennia M3ti Specifications (SL/SR speaker)
        Max Amp Power 175 Watts
        Min Amp Power 10 Watts
        Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz) 60-22K
        Freq Resp +3dB/-9dB (Hz) 50-22K
        SPL in Room 1w/1m 92 dB
        Anechoic SPL 1w/1m 88 dB
        Impedance 8 Ohms
        Woofer 6.5"
        Tweeter 1"
        Dimens. (in.)(HxWxD) 13.5x8.5x8.5
        Weight 12.8 lbs per

I really like separate, but my budget is limited. Currently, i have denon avr-3805, rotel RB-1080, and rotel rcd-1072
        Thanks.

Comment

• audiofan
          • May 2004

Also, another question related to speaker efficiency:

Why all high-end speaker has low db such as 88 - 89 db ,while mid range speaker has higher efficiency ? Does it mean that higher efficiency is not good?

thanks.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

No there's examples of high and low effieceny speakers at all price points...its just a design choice...not better or worse.

Given the speakers you're running the 1056 will likely please you...but as always adding a true power amp would help open them up a lot for music.

Comment

• audiofan
              • May 2004

Thanks , Andrew.

I have RB-1080. Looks like i'm good to go with rsx-1056 for music. The only thing to do now is to test 1056 . Since rb-1080 has 200WPC, will the sonic is not good when watching movie as 1056 has only 75 WPC?

Comment

• rick c
                • Aug 2004

i have the 1056 w/603s3 and lcr600 in a 22.5 x 19.5 and it does fine with room to spare.But i will eventually add an amp to open up even more but there's no hurry.

Comment

• audiofan
                  • May 2004

I just read the rsx-1056 manual. I like the way that rsx-1056 allowed to set crossover frequency for each individual channel beside the master crossover to subwoofer. My denon avr-3805 only allows one master crossover to all speakers!

Comment

• basementjack
                    • Dec 2004

Audiofan,

To follow up, your speakers would be ideal for the 1056. I had a Denon 3805 at home for a month.

I could have been happy with either the denon or the rotel for movies. The Rotel was better for music.

I felt the video up-conversion of the rotel looked better than the Denon.

Using the 1056 as a preamp, and your 1080 for the mains, your 2 channel listening should be exceptional.

I have a 1056 as a preamp, and a 1075 as the amp for my 5 channel system. The sound is stunning for both movies and music.

- Jack

Comment

• audiofan
                      • May 2004

i wonder if there is difference in sonic (day and night) when connecting rcd-1072 ananlog out to either avr-3805 and rsx-1056? If there is, then pre-amp from 3805 is not better than 1056?

thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"