X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lmib
    • Jul 2004

Rotel RCD 991 AE

Hello Rotelians,

has anybody of you this CD-Player Modell?
    How does it sound and should I buy it?
    Or is it a better idea to by a RCD 1072 or
    to wait for the new SACD upcoming next year?

Any Comments are welcome and helpful.

Ciaó lmib
    lmib
  • spiffnme
    • Apr 2003

From everything I've ever heard, that's the best cd player Rotel ever made.

Comment

• lmib
      • Jul 2004

Hello spiffnme,

thanks for your reply.
      Do you mean that the CD 991 is also better than the CD's 1070 or 1072
      and also better than the DVD's 1050 or 1060 ?
      Or do you only wanted to say, that it is a real good CD Player ?

Which CD Player do you use ?
      lmib

Comment

• ozcal
        • Jan 2004

RCD991ae

Hi,
        I had 3 991s including 1 AE variant and while all 3 sounded great to begin with they all went faulty within a few months.The 991s were beautifully built but used a fairly inexpensive Sony transport.All 3 players I had, had problems playing cd-r and after a period of time developed problems playing bought cds.The 1072 is an excellent cd player and I would recomend going in that direction.

Comment

• eelco74
          • Dec 2002

There are actually a few versions. The first one had the Philips CDM-9 transport, you can tell the difference by the hight of the front of the tray. It looks like the RCD975 or 970 tray. I think this model was called the RCD-990. Only a few were made since Philips suddenly stopped producing this transport and Rotel had to get a different transport.

I think this is the 991 and later the 991ae.

It sure is the best player made by Rotel. Perhaps apart from the RHCD-10 from the Michi line, but they are impossible to find.

[edit]

well there is actually one here : http://www.retrohifi.co.uk/for_sale.html

And in Denmark, witch might not be too far from germany...
          Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
          Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
          Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• DJDREW
            • Dec 2004

Well the RHCD 10 was the first then the RCD990 based on the same topology and then finally the RCD991. The AE version was pretty much the same unit as the non AE version. there were no sound preformance differences They all sound really good but not as good as the original RHCD 10. I love to listen to it on my N804.
            Rotel For Life :T

Comment

• eelco74
              • Dec 2002

Why do you have two pre-ams. The 1090 as well as the rhc-10. It is nice to see you have got the who michi line. They are so difficult to get hold of...

If I ever find a michi rhb-10 poweramp, I will buy it for sure...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

DJDREW please remove those model's from your sig as it screws up the search engines..just list the gear you own in the profile instead.

From what Rotel's told me the 991 and 990 would be worth picking up if you found one...its what the VP uses in his personal system so they must be decent

Comment

• ZX 6R
                  • Jan 2003

Our store still regularily laments Rotel ceasing production of the 991. I'd certainly jump at the opportunity to get one, as it's definitely better than the current CD players. If the laser does go it's a very popular Sony model and any competent service department should be able to replace it quickly and inexpensively as it's used in tonnes of machines out there from many manufacturers.

Comment

• lmib
                    • Jul 2004

Prices

How much does a new RCD 991 AE cost ?
                    And how much does a used RHCD 10 cost ?
                    lmib

Comment

• eelco74
                      • Dec 2002

Both the 991 and the RHCD10 are out of production. I think the RHCD10 was around 1800 Euro's and the 991 was about 1300 Euro's. I will try to find out, since I have some older pricelists at home. But I have to look it up.

[update]

I was right about the 991. It was about 1350 Euro in '97

However the mighty RHCD10 was 6300 gulden, about 2850 Euro's.
                      Last edited by eelco74; 05 January 2005, 07:37 Wednesday. Reason: price update

Comment

• DJDREW
                        • Dec 2004

I will remove some of them but I do own all those peices. I have more than one system in my house. I even have more than I listed. Sorry for screwing up the search engine Mr. Pratt.
                        Rotel For Life :T

Comment

• polik71
                          • May 2006

RCD991 laser fault

Hi to everyone I have the same problem with my RCD991 , the laser seems faulted and the spin motor is a bit noisy. I found the Sony KSS-213B laser on the Net for about 15-20Euros (if asking to Sony local assistance center was 47Euros...). I think I will try to change it by myself.
                          Do anyone knows about the laser calibration procedure on the KSS-213B trimmer?
                          And what about the other KSS-213 family lasers? Is there any better quality/reliability compared to the B version? (compatibility issues?)

Thanks in advance for the interest :T

Marco

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"