X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mutley
    • May 2003

Rotel RCD-1072??

Heard that Rotel was releasing a Cd player next month called RCD-1072 in substitution to the RCD-1070.

Anyone know anything about it? I was about to buy a 1070 but if it's true i'll wait for it (if it's in same price range)

Thanks

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true!
    Gus

• Scarp
    • Mar 2003

I looked it up on google and only found something from a Eastern European audio shop. There is a pricelist there and states it being more expensive than the 1070

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Ola. Meu nome Keith.

Welcome to Club Rotel. :^x

Haven't heard of it being in the pipeline, but that doesn't mean very much.

Here's how I'd make a decision personally (in no particular order)

Performance: I'm assuming it will have different DAC's, but if you are the type (I'm not) that uses the digital out to take advantage of the receivers DAC's, this really shouldn't matter much. The transports, I suspect, might be similar in performance. I've heard very nice things about the 1070's performance.

Features: Usually pretty similar with most DVD players, except for things like HDCD, which, if I recall, has been included in all of the most recent Rotel line. I guess the ability to read different types of discs might matter too.

Appearance: Love the look of the silver Rotel components.

Price: Here's where I might lean heavily toward the 1070. If it's more expensive, as Scarp's post suggests it might be, then I'm the type that's always looking to save some money, especially as the 1070 might have some sort of close out pricing going on.

All said, I'd wait until the pricing, features, performance of the 1072 were documented (especially with a review or two) before I bought the 1070, unless it's going to be too long a wait. But, I bet a new Rotel would be a winner and would include nice DAC's, etc.

You have great patience to wait. I don't have the will power. That's why you probably end up making better decisions than I do.

Let us all know what you find out and what you decide to do.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Rotel needs to make a killer version of the 991AE soon, especially with the new looks of the current series. I doubt the 1072 is that though. Anyway, lets wait and see.

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
          • Dec 2002

can't wait, someone need a 991AE?

------------------------------------------------------
          Never drive faster than your Angel can fly!

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

According to that slovakian website that has it for sale the 1072 is about 930 euro against 700 for the 1070. So its quite a bit more expensive.

Comment

• Blue-Eyes
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Scarp
              According to that slovakian website that has it for sale the 1072 is about 930 euro against 700 for the 1070. So its quite a bit more expensive.
              The 991 AE is still 1299 euro in the Netherlands, so its quite a bit more expensive then the 1072. I suppose also a quite bit more better than.

Comment

• simonb68
                • Jan 2003

Hi-Fi News mag this month has a small article on the RCD-1072 CD player and corresponding amp.

Quote 'In the RCD-1072 a toroidal transformer feeds separate power supply sections for transport, decoder, display and analogue output stages. A solidly built transport is allied with a 'musical' Burr Brown PCM1732 HDCD-compatible DAC'.

Both CD player and amp are priced at £600. A quick web search shows the RCD-1070 retailing at about £500, so a little pricier.

Simon

Comment

• simonb68
                  • Jan 2003

Double post, sorry

Comment

• suske67
                    • Jul 2003

Some information from Rotel about the RCD1072 :LOL:

The RCD-1072 is the evolution of Rotel’s highly regarded RCD-1070, and is set to build upon Rotel’s enviable reputation as a designer and manufacturer of Award Winning CD players.
                    In terms of function you will be immediately struck by the cosmetic appeal and “balance” to the front panel layout and cosmetic.
                    In terms of performance we have spent literally 100’s of hours evaluating changes to components in various
                    circuit areas. For the more technical the resulting changes can be summarized as…..
                    Revised Burr-Brown line output / filter stage IC’s.
                    New “instrument grade” components used throughout the analogue stages.
                    Revised power supply and regulator components for both the DAC and analogue stages.
                    Revised and upgraded clock oscillator components.
                    Revised and upgraded PSU decoupling components for the DAC.
                    Sonically this has resulted in an improved sound-stage, better bass extension and a more dynamic, detailed, “clean” and musical portrayal.

Specifications
                    Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise .........................0.0045% @ 1kHz
                    Intermodulation Distortion.........................0.0045%@ 1kHz
                    Frequency Response (_ 0.5 dB) ...............20-20,000Hz
                    Channel Balance ................................................._ 0.5 dB
                    Phase Linearity .................................................. ......._ 0.5degree
                    Channel Separation......................................> 98 dB @ 1kHz
                    Signal to Noise Ratio ......................................> 100dB
                    Dynamic Range............................................. ............> 96 dB
                    Digital to Analog Converters ...................................18 bit equivalent, multi-level Delta-Sigma DAC with 8x oversampling digital filter and HDCD
                    Speed Accuracy, Wow & Flutter .............................Quartz Crystal Precision
                    Output Impedance .................................................. ..100 Ohms
                    Digital Output .................................................. ..........0.5 Volt, Peak to Peak
                    Load Impedance .................................................. .....75 Ohms

General
                    European Version:.......................................... ..........AC 230V, 50 Hz
                    Power Consumption....................................... ..........20 Watts
                    Dimensions (W, H, D) ...............................................432 x 93 x 337 mm
                    Front Panel Height (for rack mount) .......................80 mm
                    Weight (net) .................................................. .............5.8 kg.

Price will be around 900 euro
                    Go and ask your dealer, they should be available in europe now, i have heard one in Antwerp and it sounded great 8)

listen and you'll buy
                    listen and you'll buy

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Not sure if I'm allowed to say this or not but it should be here this fall.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Came across this tidbit posted on a european hi-fi site

"Award-winning 02 Series formulae applied to10 Series models

The Rotel 02 Series marked a new level of performance for cost-effective 2-channel audio
                        equipment. Spurned by that success, Rotel has applied the same critical process to the mid-price
                        market and is pleased to announce the RCD 1072 CD player and RA 1062 integrated
                        amplifier at £595 each.

At heart, the RCD 1072 features an uncommonly good power supply system based around
                        Rotel’s own designed and manufactured toroidal transformer. It features four separate supplies
                        for transport, decoder, display and analogue output stages, ensuring that each part of the CD
                        player is provided with an optimal working environment.

To ensure accurate data reading, the RCD 1072 uses an advanced ‘over scan’ transport
                        mechanism made a from low resonant, carbon impregnated polymer. This is allied to a Burr
                        Brown PCM1732 (HDCD compatible) D/A converter, chosen for its remarkable musical
                        performance.

All aspects of the RCD1072 circuit have been optimised through maximising component quality
                        and understanding how specific components affect sound quality. This has resulted in the use of
                        ‘Slit-foil capacitors‘) and ‘instrument grade’ components being used throughout.

Sonically, the RCD1072 is the most dynamic, clean and musically persuasive CD player yet
                        from Rotel."

Comment

• Akprimroses
                          • Aug 2003

Andrew,

Do you know if there will be a RA1072 released?

Thanks,

Robert

Comment

• jc
                            • Aug 2003

by the way the changes from 1070 to 1072 is really very little , some capacitors are changed , base design is identical , the transport used is simmilar to the one used in NAD 521i ' it's a SONY' . And it costed me $100 more kinda regret buying

Comment

• Scarp
                              • Mar 2003

The "its a sony" remark is a bit out of place. There are not many companies that can afford development of certain key components and therefore buy those components from another company. However most will put in some more effort and make the rest of the machine to their own liking.

Otherwise you can call all cd-players "its a Philips (and partly Sony)" since all cd players play according to the standard that Philips (and a bit of Sony) invented.

Comment

• Danbry39
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Sep 2002

Welcome to Club Rotel JC.

First off, Sony makes extremely good CD players, so I don't see it as a problem if Rotel uses the same or a similar transport. That said, the end result of a CD player's performance is a combination of many different things, the transport being one of them. As you mentioned, there are the capacitors, but also things like digital filters, post conversion analog filters, DACs, etc. The layout of ground currents and things like the proximity of the clock to the DAC's are also important.

As Scarp said, many companies share components, yet strive for their own unique sonic signature.

Keith
                                Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

There's very few CD players out there that don't use either a Sony or Philips transport including some the best made.

Comment

• mutley
                                    • May 2003

I end up deciding for the 1072.

But it hasn't arrived yet. this week though. As soon as it arrives i'll post a review.

this is the first (of many i hope) Rotel piece of gear! 8)

pre/pro then, when i win the lottery... :LOL:

Gus

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"