X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

RB 1080 runs hot

I added a new 1080 to my system about two weeks ago to drive my RF & LF speakers which are Klipsch RF7s. The amp seems to run pretty hot, much hotter than my 1075 ever did when it was driving the same speakers at similar SPL.

Has anyone else experienced this out of a 1080?

Thanks
    Jerry Rappaport
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

I own both the RB-1080 and RMB-1075 and can confirm that the RB-1080 seems to run hotter. However it isn't that hot that I would feel concerned about. Just make sure you have it in a location with adequate ventilation.
    Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• NMG
      • Oct 2004

I would say that my 1080 usually runs "warm". I don't think I've ever seen it operate at temps that I would consider "hot". When I say warm I mean that I can certainly tell that there is some heat built up when I put my hand overtop of the amp. It's never so hot that it was uncomfortable to touch or even close to that.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Dr Jerry Rapp,

I too have the RMB-1075 and the RB-1080. The RB-1080 runs much hotter at idle or in use than the 1075 - I spoke to the dealers service section re this - bottom line the RB-1080 is a class A/B set-up and is biased to run in class A for the first 10-15 or so watts per channel - hence the heat / warmth when turned on while the 1075 has a much lower bias setting...

Geoff

Comment

• mpauline
          • Dec 2003

Normal for RB1080 to run hot?

Hi,

My 1080 also ran very warm, almost hot, to the touch. It worked flawlessly until two days ago. Now the left channel is not working. I am not sure if the warm/hot operating temperature had anything to do with it. Certainly my 1095 amp does not operate at this warm a temperature.

Good luck,

Mark

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mpauline
            Hi,

My 1080 also ran very warm, almost hot, to the touch. It worked flawlessly until two days ago. Now the left channel is not working. I am not sure if the warm/hot operating temperature had anything to do with it. Certainly my 1095 amp does not operate at this warm a temperature.

Good luck,

Mark
            Mark,

That is definitely not normal operational temperature for the 1080, mine is simply warm to the touch. Ensure that you have enough ventilation. I actually had my 1080 on top of my 1095 and it still was not hot to the touch, although it was warmer than normal. Needless to say, I have isolated the 1080 and yesterday tested the temperature and it was just a little warm.

I would speak with Rotel and my dealer in reference to this issue.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"