X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

MC-12, an interesting pitfall

I was reading about the MC-12 in November SGHT, and while it certainly seems like the real deal, one thing rather much stood out in the article.

Ok, it does component switching, but what it doesn't do is give you on screen menu capability in component without going to a blue screen background. So, you got it, if you increase the volume while watching component video, the video goes blue, and you get the text until it defaults back to the image and the text goes away. (after you release the button).

Lexicon's solution is, you simply disable the on screen menu for component video daily viewing. Anybody else see fault to this on an 8000 processor?

does any other processor on the market put on screen up on component video? Why is this so difficult, and can't it be done?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • greynolds
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I'm not sure if any other processor on the market does this, but Lexicon's answer to the question on the SMR forums was that it would have been prohibitively expensive to do. I don't really get why it's so much more difficult than it is for composite and S Video either.

Despite that, the MC-12 seems to be the processor to beat at the moment with the possible exception of the Meridian 861 and the (not yet available...) Mark Levinson No. 40 at a more affordable price than either.

I have now sold off my Proceed AVP and am deciding what path to follow. In the meantime, I have a borrowed Lexicon DC-1 from a friend at work who has a MC-1 and just picked up a MC-12B last night (must get a demo...). He got a special price on these Lexicon processors, but doesn't think he can help me out . Time to call in a few favors elsewhere...

The choices I'm considering (in no particular order), depending on what sort of a deal I can get, are:

Meridian 861
    Lexicon MC-12
    TAG 192R (or whatever the model number is to be...)
    Proceed AVP2

Obviously, some of these choices would require waiting, but I can use the DC-1 for as long as I need it and it's not half bad . I'd say it at least equals the AVP on surround (with Logic7, I think it betters the AVP on surround), but definitely falls short on 2 channel (especially analog sources).

Geoffrey Reynolds
    Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Geoff, goodluck with that decision. So, you would actually consider an AVP2 given Proceed's track record of support?

Why is the Casablanca not in the running? Just because the MC-12 is the better unit all the way around?

I have to keep telling myself the MC-12 isn't the cure all to home theater, it really isn't! Why? because I can't afford to do the deal, that's why. I should probably have investigated the trade deal, when it was available, but I knew I really shouldn't anyway, lol.

Well, S-video is split 2 ways. Technically, it doesn't seem it would be that much more difficult, but then I am not a tech in such areas...

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• greynolds
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Thanks - it's a tough decision.

- After the Proceed Logic7 debate from not too long ago, the AVP2 isn't really seriously being considered. I really loved my AVP, but I don't think Proceed is the best long term choice for surround sound duty as they just move too slowly and their focus really isn't on the DSP side of the equation.

- The Casablanca doesn't seem like the best choice for surround sound use, especially when compared to the MC-12B and the 861.

My plan is to get a (used) Mark Levinson 380S for 2 channel duty and use the Lexicon (hint - I've made my mind up) for surround duty. I may find that the MC-12B is good enough on 2 channel bypass that I don't need the 380S, but we'll see. I currently have a Mark Levinson No. 37 and No. 36, so I need to complete the trio (yes, it's a sickness).

Geoffrey Reynolds
        Geoffrey Reynolds

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Geoff, sounds like an awesome setup either way, with or without the analog pass through Levinson. The Lex may be hard pressed to top a Levinson-

Myself, I think I found the right solution is completely separating my systems, except that the amp has dual inputs. (RCA and XLR). With the Proceed amp, though somewhat annoying at times, I control the switchover with manual switches for each channel. I thought about seeing if someone could retrofit my amp with a remote driven switch for each channel, but not sure who could do that sort of thing.

You certainly will be very happy with the Lexicon setup, and logic 7 I think.

lex
          Doug

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"