X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickp
    • Jul 2003

DVD A and SACD input settings

I have just tried my firsta DVD A and I am not sure everything is set properly. I would appreciate if someone could advise what all the various menu settings should be in the RDC 7.

When I tried to do the level settings from the player, I could only get outputs from FR and FL, but it also played the respective surr channels at the same time. I could not get a center, sub, or surr to play on their own.

If you should accept this mission of mercy, please be specific and complete as you can.
    (The speakers are all working on playback of the DVD. ) It sounds good but I don't know if I am all the way there or not.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Rick –

First, it is hard to know how the test tones should be handled from the DVD-A player without knowing which DVD-A player you are using. Using the test tones generated from my DVD-A player was kind of tricky until I got the hang of how its remote’s directional selection buttons worked. Since you got sound from the surrounds at the same time as the front speakers, I wonder if you had the RDC-7’s DSP mode set to All Channel Stereo and were using digital inputs instead of the multichannel input while running the test tones?

To confirm that your system is set up for DVD and/or SACD playback, the first thing you need to do with the RDC-7 is double check the sequence of connections from the player to the 6-RCA-to-DB25 adaptor. (I had to re-check mine – in dim light it is easy to confuse the colors that identify the channels.) Page 16 of the RDC-7 user guide illustrates the connections. Here’s how they line up:

Left Front - Blue
    Right Front - Red
    Center - Green
    Left (Side) Surround - Black
    Right (Side) Surround - Yellow
    Subwoofer - Brown

Of course, those color codes assume you are using the provided adaptor. If those are not hooked up correctly, you will get some strange-sounding results. :>)

After you have the cables connected correctly and securely, you will need to set the input for multichannel.

• Select the input you plan to use for “multichannel” playback. (Even though it is my DVD player, I set up a different one for multichannel, so I don’t have to remember which settings to change each time I play a SACD or DVD-A).
    • Press “OSD Menu” You will need to go to the menu area 2, Input Setup. Item 2-2 is Multichannel Setup. Change that to “Yes” and then quit (press “OSD Menu” on the remote).
    • Then press the “Audio” button on the remote, which is about halfway along the far left edge under the directional circle of buttons (just left of the “Exit Return” button.) It will toggle through a couple or three choices. The one you want is “Multichannel”. (If you change the player’s output to a digital output -- which would NOT be DVD-A or SACD -- then you would need to use the “Audio” button again to select a coax or optical digital input, since Multichannel is analog only.)

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• rickp
      • Jul 2003

Burke,
      Thanks for the help. I may have had the D/A input in the wrong position yesterday, though I was aware of that little buttons function. I just was playing it again before I read this, so I will have to check about the surrounds playing at the test tone for the fronts again. I did try resetting volumes though and still got no output from the surrounds alone, but from the center worked this time and not yesterday.
      The player is Toshiba 4700. i think. The set up menu in it shows the speakers highlighted as they produce test tones, still no sound though it shows they are getting a signal. Visually anyway!! And they do work on playback.

I had already double checked the connections in the back. They are ok.

Thats a great tip on the separate input for the analog. I was dreading forgetting to reset someday and then not knowing what the heck is wrong a few days later for a flick.

Were you aware of being able to adjust levels of the channels on the fly in this analog mode? I just read about it yesterday but haven't figured out how to actualy incorporate that and the players levels.

It sure would be nice to have the digital input for this stuff.

Thanks,
      Rick

Comment

• rickp
        • Jul 2003

Well. Still the same situation. Doing the channel levels alone I still cannot get the fronts to do their test tone without the rear of the same side, and I cannot get the rear to go by itself. I do have sub and center ok.

Seperately, the multi channel cables I did check and all is tight. If I am getting a signal to all speakers at some point in time, then it must not be a connection but a setting. Right?

I suspect there must be some easily missed setting that is causing this but I am stumped so far. Back to the manual again. Is there anyone in particular at Integ Res. to call or a particvular phone number?

Thanks,
        Rick

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

If the six cables from your DVD player are connected to the correct color-coded jacks on the multichannel adaptor, then the problem you are describing (where the surrounds play in unison with the front speaker on the same side) is most likely either a setting inadvertantly out of whack somewhere along the line or a defective multichannel adaptor (with "wires crossed" or whatever). If your dealer or someone you know has one you could borrow for a test, that would be a good way to narrow it down before contacting Integra Research.

To contact Integra Research for support, you can ask questions by submitting a feedback form on their site at http://www.integraresearch.com/contact_form.cfm and expect to wait at least a couple of days for a response. The feedback form is most effective for general queries, so they will probably not be real helpful with an elusive problem requiring trouble shooting via that mechanism.

Or call their toll free number, 1-800-225-1946 and tell them you need product support for the RDC-7. As far as asking for anyone in particular, frankly, in my experience, it has been hit-or-miss -- someone who might be helpful one time could well give you the brush off (polite, but lacking any real helpfulness) the next time you get in touch with them. So you might as well give the generic number a call and hope that the person they connect you with 1) is having a good day and 2) knows enough about the product to be able to help you trouble shoot.

In the mean time, perhaps some of our other members might have some suggestions regarding your multichannel situation? Please feel free to chime in here...

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• rickp
            • Jul 2003

Burke,
            Leslie, on Feb 2 of '02' posted with the same problem. Its the third page of this forum. Seems she got it resolved but didn't know how or what someone did. I may try to reach her and/or call Integra.

Rick

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"