X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wolf
    • May 2003

Happy new RDC-7 owner

Hi all, I recently found out about your forum thanks to Burke Strickland(whom I need to personally thank). I'm a happy new RDC-7 owner(I've had it for a week), and so far I am very impressed with it. The sound was a tad bright during the first 3 days of use, but it is really starting to warm up now. I have some questions for you fellow RDC-7 owners. First, are there any among you that are using Martin Logan speakers, if so how do you like the way they sound with the RDC-7? I have Aerius i for mains, Cinema center, and Scenario surrounds.

I currently use a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature II amp, and am considering purchasing the IR RDA-7 amp, do you all think this will be a good move? How do you think the RDA-7 will sound with the Martin Logans? Do any of you that own an RDA-7 amp have your speakers bi-wired or bi-amped? And one final question, do any of you use the digital upsampling feature? I don't have a lot of questions do I ?

Thanks in advance

SV
  • Leslie
    • Sep 2001

Hi Wolf,
    I have Martin Logan Odyssey's for my front two speakers, a ML Theater for the center and four ML Cinema's as my surrounds. Because the ML Descent was DOA out of its demo box, I purchased a REL Storm subwoofer which isn't cabled to either amp. The sound is just gorgeous - both for music (classical and jazz) and movies. I really love the way the MLs handle the midrange.

I have a California Audio Lab 2500 amp and I believe my speakers are bi-amped (but I honestly forget). I set the system up nearly two years ago. I got such a good deal on the CAL amp that I didn't get the RDA which I did audition. It had a great sound, but I heard it with another brand of speakers. I bought a Proceed BPA2 to handle the two side surrounds.

We've really enjoyed the sound produced by the MLs and the RDC-7. I have only the highest praise for the Integra. Before I demoed it, I'd wanted the big Theta, but it couldn't switch component signals which I had to have as my plasma screen only has one component input. I'd thought nothing could compare with the Theta's sound (coming out of another brand of speaker), but the RDC-7 satisfies my needs.

Hope this helps some.
    Leslie

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Hey Wolf --

Glad you've joined us! (And you're welcome.) You're asking good questions and you've already gotten a good answer about the MLs.

do any of you use the digital upsampling feature?
      I know that several folks around here have tried it and most who have tried it seem to end up using it regularly, although I recall one fellow who said he didn't hear a difference in his system, in which case it would make sense to leave it "off". I've had good results with it and use it most of the time.

The "upsampling" actually does more than just "repeat" bits -- it follows a sophisticated smoothing algorithm to avoid "bit aliasing" which might offend some Purists sensibilites, but has a remarkable effect on the music -- less "digital" sounding even though it is rendered by a digital process. The resulting sound stream is less fatiguiging to listen to than some originally harsh recordings can be without it and has other pleasing sonic characteristics usually described as virtues of DVD-A ad SACD (although without careful comparative listening I don't think anyone is going to assert that it actually sounds the same as either of those.)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• wolf
        • May 2003

Leslie and Burke,

Thanks guys for your input, It's really great to be on board here. And Leslie it's nice to know there's another ML owner here on this forum that uses an RDC-7.

One thing that I was pleasantly suprised to see when I first unboxed my RDC-7 is that it had all the new upgrade logos printed on the unit(not just on a sticker,very cool!).

Take care and happy listening.

SV

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hello Wolf,

Welcome to the Guide!

You have some great equipment there. I've not heard the RDC-7 but, have had the chance to hear the Martins and SunFire. They are very nice sounding when used together.

Glad you like the system.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wolf
            • May 2003

John Holmes,

Thanks for the welcome, it's nice to have a place to share our hobby. I am really enjoying my RDC-7, and it's sounding better with each listen. I have found myself changing my listening habits somewhat, as the RDC-7 teamed with the ML's are quite a revealing combo(very neutral). This system will show up any flaw in the source material. With well recorded stuff, the word WOW just doesn't describe the musicality of this system, very impressive indeed.

SV

Comment

• wolf
              • May 2003

Have any of you listened to the RDC-7 with Classe' amps? If so what did you think? I am seriously considering a Classe' CAV-180 or Integra Research RDA-7(which I can get new for $2,500). What are you thought's, should I go for either of these or stick with my Sunfire?

SV

Comment

• wolf
                • May 2003

Just a quick question for you all. When you register the RDC-7 are you supposed to receive something by mail letting you know that your product is registered? I did my registration online(approx 3 weeks ago), but never received an e-mail from them or anything via regular mail). I heard that they are supposed to give you an upgrade password(or something like that) that you need so they can notify you when new updates or upgrades become available. Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

SV

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

SV --

When I registered my RDC-7, I never rececived any acknowldegement from Integra Research of any kind. However, I have participated in both upgrade progams that depended on being a registered owner, so I know they have a record of my having purchased and registered the unit. They did send emails both times to let me know an upgrade program was pending, although I had to go to their seldom-updated web site to get the details.

With the first upgrade, the software password "key" was based on the unit's serial number, and it worked. With the second upgrade, they were supposed to acknowldege receipt of the upgrade request and payment by return mail, but the only "acknowldegement" I received from them was the UPS person knocking on my door to deliver the shipping carton required for sending the RDC-7 to the service center. :>)

I think Integra Research products are wonderful. But I shake my head in disbelief at their lackluster marketing and abysmal customer relations, such as not bothering to respond to informational inquiries. However, when it comes to upgrades, to a greater extent than most vendors, they have delivered on their promises.

So on balance, they "get away with it", because owners are more interested in the products themselves than in the company that supports them. But I can't help but believe if they'd be a bit more professional in the other areas, they'd entice a lot more people into being owners! (At times, it seems like they don't even care whether people know about or buy the products, despite the products' exeptional performance, features and value.)

So, enjoy the RDC-7, (it's a "keeper"), but don't expect to hear very much from Integra Research. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• wolf
                    • May 2003

Thank you Burke for the info regarding registering the RDC-7, I feel a lot better now. They are supposed to be offering an upgrade for an IEEE connection here in the coming months, let's see if I receive an e-mail letting me know about this(time will tell).

And you're right, Integra Research is kinda dropping the ball in getting customer awareness for their products, as not that many have ever heard of the Integra Research name(and the company has been around for over 3 yrs now). It's a great product that really deserves more exposure.

Thanks again for your help.

SV

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"