X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Should I be concerned?

My receiver (Integra DTR 6.4) has a blue LED to indicate when it is in "PURE AUDIO" mode. Lately, when I engage that mode, the LED is often dimmer than it was or is off completely. There has been no other problem--SQ is excellent as usual--and no functions are working improperly but I don't want a latent electrical problem to rear its ugly head. Am I being paranoid (I was under the impression that LEDs lasted decades)? It doesn't keep me awake at night, but I really like my receiver and I don't want to have to replace it anytime soon. I just want to know if a failing LED is a sign of more serious problems to come.
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

When you select "Pure Audio", in the DTR-6.4, the display indication and the power of the video circuit are turned off to eliminate the possible cause for noise. However, if the LED was not dimming when you selected "Pure Audio" in the past, that is probably not the cause of the dimming now. Is it possible that you are accidentally hitting the "Dimmer" button on the remote control (middle button bottom row) which has three settings -- normal, dark, and very dark?

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
      When you select "Pure Audio", in the DTR-6.4, the display indication and the power of the video circuit are turned off to eliminate the possible cause for noise. However, if the LED was not dimming when you selected "Pure Audio" in the past, that is probably not the cause of the dimming now. Is it possible that you are accidentally hitting the "Dimmer" button on the remote control (middle button bottom row) which has three settings -- normal, dark, and very dark?
      I will check with the dimmer button, but it's unlikely. In the past, I've tried the dimmer button but I've not noticed it had any effect on the LED, just on the display. And until the recent dimming, the LED was always at the same intensity.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I tried the dimmer button on the remote--has NO EFFECT on the blue LED. The LED is still alternating from full on, to dim, to off--seemingly at random.

My DVD player has a very similar LED (also blue). When the player is ON, the LED is bright. When it is in STANDBY/OFF, the LED is dimmer. It doesn't go out entirely unless I unplug it.

My receiver's blue LED, when it isn't off entirely, varies in intensity similarly to the DVD player--except the DVD player is consistent with regard to the behaviour of the LED, whereas the receiver is not.

I realize I must sound excessively paranoid, but my previous receiver (which I only had for a few days--two of them, actually, with the same electrical failure) made me a bit gunshy about anything that smacks of electrical issues. My warranty is over and I'd rather not have to replace my receiver should something go wrong (at the moment, I'd have to downgrade--don't want to do that) so I'm hoping for some clue as to whether this is a minor issue to be ignored (I don't NEED the LED to tell me it is in PURE AUDIO mode) or if it is a precursor to more trouble.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Well, nothing else seems to be wrong (and the LED seems to be "back") so I'll just pretend like nothing happened and not worry about it.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Paul,

Glad it is working for you again, whatever the explanation for its previous behavior.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Some months later update:

Works like a charm. The blue LED problem is no longer an issue (though, to be honest, since August, I haven't seen the LED as I have my screen for my front projector mounted in such a way as to block 2/3 of the front of the receiver--long story, but an uninteresting one). Whether the LED is on or not when it should be, the unit is otherwise outstanding in everything I ask it to do. I am quite certain that any future upgrade for me in the receiver/pre-pro domain will be in the Onkyo/Integra line. (I may add some other brand power amps, but as a pre-pro, I think Onkyo/Integra are among the best "bang for the buck", as well as in their own right, options out there).

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"