X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

My C2 Review...

Well I finally have the Halo C2 set up and running properly.

I have spent the past 2 years getting my previous Sony ES (TA-E9000ES/2 TAN-9000ES) system fine tuned to sound it’s best, and just a few weeks ago I felt I had finally had achieved this goal. I was thoroughly convinced that there would be little if no difference in just switching out Processors, especially in the short run, as it took so long to get the Sony tweaked (software updates. Power cord ect..) for optimum performance, so I was reserved to spend a lot of time making the Halo integrate to the best of it’s ability.

What I wasn’t prepared for is the immediate change in dynamics, separation and clarity. Without even setting up the levels and distance, I noticed these attributes, and there were not at all subtle. I now have the settings done right thanks to the excellent Auto-Level and Auto-Distance calibration modes, everything is jelling perfectly. Man was I blown away last night while watching Master and Commander. The cannon fire had such impact and concussion that it was downright hard to breath during these battle scenes, the shockwave from the blast compressed my chest cavity to an uncomfortable feeling. This thing makes action movies scary, and I can play my system at above reference levels without bottoming out my drivers, the Sony would not play nearly as loud and the drivers would clip right at ref levels, I truly didn’t know what I was missing. . I haven’t even hooked up my tactile transducers yet and the presentation already has more impact then it did with 4 Aura Bass Shakers in my couch fed by a 400 watt amp.

Music sounds much better as well, and had me going through all of my old favorites that I had given up on because of recording quality. Even with sub par recording quality I have found many of my discs sound so much better then I ever remember them sounding thanks to “DPLII” and “Natural Mode” these are great for music and adds ambiance for much better off-axis listening

The only drawback I have found is the lack of movie and music DSP modes (I like to experiment) but with such good sound I doubt I will miss that much, in truth I only used “live House” and “VM Rear” on the Sony with an occasional “6.1 matrix”.

What surprises me even more is how far DSP engines and Power Supplies have evolved, the Halo is a only about half the weight of the Sony, and the PS (switching) is tiny in comparison to the Sony. It used to be a tell tell sign of a HQ component to be heavy and hot, but this lightweight and relatively cool running Halo just stomps the crap out of my old Sony brute. Now im so happy with this new upgrade I can’t help but think of replacing my Sony ES amps with the Halo A-52’s, the only problem is I will have some very expensive paperweights laying around as the going used price for these units (Sony ES 9K) are shamefully low and hardly worth the trouble of selling.

BTW I read a professional review about the “Level Auto-Cal” where the author explains that the distance and level settings were very close to his manual settings except for the subwoofer distance which was way off. After reading the manual is has became clear that the author didn’t know what he was talking about, he should have just tried leaving these auto settings alone, it sounds better, even though it said my subs were 17 feet away and they are actually 7 feet away from the mic position. The manual explains that the auto cal does not go by physical distance but Acoustic distance, which accounts for the better delay settings that you cannot achieve with a tape measure. Anyway, the cannon balls bouncing through the ships hull were so believable I was jaw-dropped and riveted as I have never been before in an action scene. I would have never believed such an improvement in sound by just cleaning up the input signal, and better logic steering.

Bravo Parasound, great product, and thanks to Brent Huskins of Media Design in Fort Worth I was able to try in home without any obligation and got a great price on a b-stock unit with all the latest software, thanks Brent!
    My Center Channel Project
  • ralniv
    • Apr 2004

Sounds like you had quite a memorable Parasound moment last night Kingdaddy. I bet your experience would be even better if you had a Parasound A51 or A52 amp to demo your C2 with.

I'm hoping that my experience is right up there with yours. I'm in the midst of building a listening/theater room in my house and I got antsy and bought my audio gear (C2 and A51 amp) prior to finishing the room. Now the gear is just sitting in its box taunting me daily. Oh well, it provides motivation to get up off my arse and finish the room.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of speakers did you have your demo unit hooked up to? What did you do for amplification? Did you have any power conditioning (EMI/RFI filtering, voltage regulation, balanced power)?

Comment

• Kingdaddy
      • Jan 2004

ralniv:

the demo was in my home, I just swapped out my SOny TA-E9000ES with the Halo C2 with no changes in anything else. All the speakers are DIY including 2 Maelstrom Sonosubs. No Power Conditioning or anything really fancy, in fact all cables and interconnects are DIY as well.

2-Sony TA-N9000ES 5-ch amps 130W per channel. (Main monitors, center and surround all Bi-Amp)
      1-Adcom GFA-555 200W per ch amp (main woofers)
      1-Mackie 1400i 700w per ch amp for the subs.
      2- Marchand Active crossovers, XM44-4 and XM9-3.

And just added a Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 disc DVD SACD changer interfaced with my computer using DVD Lobby to run all the DVD's.

Link to my DIY Site
      Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• ralniv
        • Apr 2004

Wow, those are interesting looking speakers. That must have been quite a project to build those puppies. Like yourself, I'm using DIY speakers and some grass roots wires. I am currently building BESL Series 5 surround speakers (MTs) and this summer when BESL releases their new models I will build the mains and center (these will be 2.5 way speakers based on the same Seas Excel woofer and Seas Millenium tweeter as the MTs that I'm building now).

Any way... I'm glad to hear that the C2 experience was 'knock your socks off' in magnitude. Good luck with your audio project and hopefully we'll see you around Club Parasound in the future.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ralniv
          I am currently building BESL Series 5 surround speakers (MTs) and this summer when BESL releases their new models I will build the mains and center (these will be 2.5 way speakers based on the same Seas Excel woofer and Seas Millenium tweeter as the MTs that I'm building now)

Hey those are some great drivers, I keep thinking I will do a project with the Millenium series someday, they should sound great, good luck.

Thanks
          KD

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"