• May 2003

A52 vs HCA-2205AT

how do they compare with each other?

the halo is more expensive but:

has less power
    2205 has independent power supllies for each channel
    1,4 kva power tranformer in A52 Vs 2 Kva power transformer in the 2205

has anyone heard them both?

where does the halo win over the classic?

thanks,

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true!
    Gus

• Scarp
    • Mar 2003

Hi,

Also take a look in http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1 which poses a similar question.

If you can get a 2205 in a good condition and don't care for its looks, then certainly get the 2205.

The original newprice of the 2205 is higher than that of the current A52 and its a not a fair comparison, since the A52 is the successor of the 1205 and not the 2205 (its successor is the A51).

Since these amps are build like tanks, they will last a long time and a 2205 is certainly a fine machine.

However the 2205 is difficult to get new (at least in europe), so 2nd hand is the best option.

ps. removed your duplicate thread

Comment

• mutley
      • May 2003

the thing is i have the opportunity to buy either one for the same price.

2205 ex-demo a little less than the A52 new.

should i go with the 2205?

Gus

Comment

• Scarp
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mutley
        the thing is i have the opportunity to buy either one for the same price.

2205 ex-demo a little less than the A52 new.

should i go with the 2205?
        Yup go for the 2205 if its in good condition. You will certainly appreciate the extra power it has compared to the A52. And if you dont care for the looks, then its a very very good amp

Comment

• mutley
          • May 2003

realised another thing:

my speakers:
          B&W 602; LCR600; Sonance RS1 Rate at a maximun 120w at 8ohm

2205 has 220w at 8 ohm...

won't it blow my speakers?

i will eventually replace my speakers, but not so soon. ops:

what to do?

thanks.

Gus

Comment

• Scarp
            • Mar 2003

You amp will deliver what is asked and nothing more. Also it will be very rare that you actually send 220 watt to your speakers. Normal operation is more in the range of 5 to 15 watts. In a few cases higher.

As long as you do not turn up the volume very high, then its no problem. I used a Rotel RB1090, rated 2x 330 watts on my B&W N804's, which are rated lower than 330 watts. I even used that amp on B&W 604's without a problem.

You will immediatly hear when the volume is too loud and your speakers can't handle it

Comment

• mutley
              • May 2003

glad to hear that.

i don't use the volume much high.
              higher isn't synonimus of quality...

Gus

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Indeed, some stores put up the volume real high and tell the customer "see how loud it can get?", but most people play at moderate levels. At those levels a good amp still gets more out of the speaker, since it usually has a lot better control. It will deliver anything the speaker needs.

Comment

• Jariten
                  • Jun 2000

Hello Scarp and Mutley
                  It's great to see a big Variety of countries on this forum ^_^

Anyway....let's get back to the topic...
                  Putting a 220W amp on lower specc'ed speakers is NOT a problem as long as you aren't volume knob happy.

A52 vs 2205AT ...
                  I'd get the 2205AT
                  more impressive with those handles in front!..

I have a 2205A (different facelplate that the 2205AT)
                  Paired with a C1 controller and M&K speakers all around...
                  just love it ^_^v

the only thing I didn't like and I quickly modified are the small connectors that parasound has been using in those amps (input signal and output signal) I was starting to have some weird noise especially in the High frequencies ....so I did a small mod (removed the connectors and soldered directly to the PCB)
                  We have a major problem of High humidity here in Japan...

Hope to post more often ^_^V

Hi Lex!
                  *grin*

Comment

• mutley
                    • May 2003

considering my speakers, would i loose too much if i went for a 1205 for half the price the other 2?

wouldn't be a good option (much better than the rotel 1075?) so i could upgrade my source or add a video processor?

thanks

Gus

Comment

• Jariten
                      • Jun 2000

I would still go with the 2205

T.

Comment

• mutley
                        • May 2003

I finally went for a new 1205.

It sounds really wonderful, and has plenty of power.
                        I got a little Humm but it desapears if i change the ground switch. Can it be harmful?

That thing is HUGE, it doesnt fit my rack (face place is a little off).

For now i'm amazed. What's the volume on the back and for each channel for? THX reference level is on max as it states on back panel...

Cheers!

Gus

Comment

• nicholtl
                          • Aug 2003

Congrats! Where did you end up getting the amp from? I dunno if it's the sound or the thought of pure power, but an AMP is like (to me at least) the coolest and most desirable component in a system, more so than a TV or preamp or speakers...maybe I'm just weird. But amps are so damn awesome.

Comment

• nicholtl
                            • Aug 2003

Double damn post.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Congrats, Mutley! :banana:

CHRIS
                              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• mutley
                                • May 2003

i got the last one at crtprojectors.co.uk

They were getting rid of their stock and i almost lost the deal cause they went really fast at 850GBP...

It's an amazing amp, and i really think it's much better than Rotel's 1075.

I would only like to know if there's a problem at having the ground switch up? :?:

Gus

Comment

• mutley
                                  • May 2003

Anyone? :?:

Gus

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"