X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc1711
    • Mar 2012

Parasound A52 + Sonus faber Grand Piano Home

I like to upgrade to power amp Parasound A52.
    Does Parasound A52 has enough power for Sonus faber Grand Piano Home 6 ohm.

Any comments on these? Thanks
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, ctc, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

From doing a quick online search on those speakers, I found different specs, but I think the 2nd one might be the right model:

Sidebar 1: Specifications Description: Two-way, floorstanding loudspeaker: Drive-units: ¾" silk-dome tweeter, 7" acrylic-treated paper-cone woofer, 7" acrylate/"carbonium"-cone passive radiator. Crossover Frequency: 2.3kHz. Frequency response: 40Hz-20kHz, ±3dB. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal. Sensitivity: 87dB/1W/1m. Power requirements: 30-200W.Dimensions: 39½" H by 9½" W by 11½" D. Weight: 60 lbs each.Serial number of units reviewed: 752 (both).Price: $3500/pair. Optional stone isolation bases: $500/pair.

Looking at this, I'd say either the A51 or A52 would work for you. But with that nice of speakers, why skimp? Between the two, I'd personally definitely go for the higher-powered A51. Or, better yet, go for the better designed two-channel A21 for the Sonus Faber mains, and then maybe get an A51 or A31 for other channels. That will give you the best performance of those choices.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• ctc1711
      • Mar 2012

Hi, Chris,

Many thanks for your comment. but as I understand, the sound quality of A51 / A21 is the same. is it? the only difference is the number of the channel 5/2. am I right?

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Hey, ctc. Common topic. You're mostly right, in that the A51 and A21 (and the new A31) are all spec-matched, both with 250 wpc. However, the A21 (and it also appears the A31, from the looks of the innards) has a more robust construction better suited for two-channel use like your mains.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ctc1711
          Many thanks for your comment. but as I understand, the sound quality of A51 / A21 is the same. is it? the only difference is the number of the channel 5/2. am I right?
          No, they're not the same at all. While the power "on paper" is the same, they're quite different beasts in real life. The A21 has loads more power reserve and behaves nicely all the way to the clip limit. Not so the A51.
          Just think about it: The A21 has a power supply with 50,000uF/channel. The A51 has 32,000uF/channel. The A21 also is much more closely coupled than the A51 and can actually deliver the power all the way without internal loss.

If regular stereo listening is your priority, definitely go with the A21 and an A52 (or A31 if you have no wish to go to 7.1) for the rest of the channels. If movies is equally important, the A31+A23 is a good balance that saves you a few bucks.

Peter

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

6 ohm speakers generally are not that difficult to drive for decent electronics. 4 ohm loads now, begin to separate the amps for sure. Sonus faber don't have a reputation for being extremely difficult to drive. They are generally more of a finesse' type speaker. But of course, they are built well too, and will perform for you for home theater and music. As the guys advised here, power in reserve, and beefier build is always nice reserve to have if you can afford it. If you look at your purchase like many people do for amplifiers, buy once, buy right, and enjoy them for years.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"