X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parafan01
    • Jan 2011

Full Circle

Fellow Members,

Please forgive me. I've been following these forums for the past 4 or 5 years, but this is my first post. 3 years ago I sold off my C1, A21 and A51. I jumped on the HDMI, HD Audio bandwagon and thought I'd be able to live with a receiver as opposed to separates. Boy was I wrong. I should have known better. I then tried some other separates that I thought would sound just as good at a fraction of the price; wrong again. I then went on a quest to right my wrongs and meticulously searched for another A21 and A51 that had to be in mint condition. I finally found them. As for the pre-amp, I'm not sure if I should go with another Parasound or maybe an Integra. I wish Parasound were a little quicker at pushing out products, but at least their amps will never get out dated. Just thought I'd share this.

Parafan01
  • eduardw
    • May 2004

Parafan,
    Maybe you could try the marantz av7005. I do not have one but it is on my short list for replacing my parasound 7100.

Eduard

Comment

• blownrx7
      • Dec 2004

Welcome back

Hello Parafan,
      Welcome Back! arty:
      I still have my C1/A51 and resisted the urge, so far, to jump on the upgrade/video processing bandwagon. The video processing of my player is damn good and the latest audio processing formats hold no attraction for me.
      Getting another C1/C2 is an option if you want to save some serious money without sacrificing anything soncally. The sacrifice comes in the video switching/video processing (if you need/want it) and the latest audio processing formats and audio auto-calibration set-up. Audio auto-calibration (such as Audyssey) is the one feature that I wish I had right now. No matter how good you think your ears are, auto-calibration is at least a revelation (if not an improvement to some ears) AND is infinitely less time-consuming.

If I ever do replace the C1, The Anthem D2V is on my short list mainly because of the highly praised audio auto-calibration set-up capability. I could still do without the video processing but if I make the change, I might as well go all the way....

The other Anthems (AVM50, AVM50V, D2 etc) could also be on your short list depending on what other features you feel you may or may not want/need.
      I feel the best Anthem stuff is at least on par with the best Parasound sonically. The auto-calibration makes it a no-brainer.

I used to have an AVM20 before I upgraded to the C1.
      hth

Comment

• Parafan01
        • Jan 2011

Thanks for the suggestions!

I do have a followup question I was hoping someone could assist with. Its been a while since I had my original new units that I forget how the LEDs on power up are suppose to behave. With the units I picked up, on the A51, when I press the power button, it turns red. While its red, the 5 LEDs do not turn on. After about a second or two, they all turn blue and the power button goes from red to blue. On the A21, when I press the power button, it turns red, but the two LEDs turn blue right away with no delay. After about a second, the power button turns blue. I guess Im perplexed in that on the A51 the LEDS don’t turn blue right away like the A21. Or the fact that the A21 doesn’t delay like the A51. Is what I described above normal? Its driving me crazy.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Hey, Parafan, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana:

If you haven't seen it, you may be interested in a post of mine about how I'm still using my Halo C1, and have added HDMI audio processing to it using a HDMI receiver as an outboard decoder. It's from almost 3 YEARS ago, yet I'm still using this setup, and it's still giving me cutting edge performance in every way, other than 3D video. (which I'm not really interested in)

This is one option for you, that would give full Halo audio fidelity, and full video switching, but add modern HDMI audio capability.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Parafan01
            • Jan 2011

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I read your other post and had one question. I still have my Onkyo TX-NR905 and can use that in a similar fashion. Which unit are you using to control the volume? The Denon or the C1? Are both able to control the volume and if so, which do you use and what setting do you leave the other at?

Thanks!

P.S. Disregard my previous post. I sent a similar question to Parasound tech support last night regarding the power up sequence and got a reply from Richard Schram moments later stating it was normal. Last person I expected to reply to my question!

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yeah, I continue to be amazed by Richard and the way he takes customer service to heart. Great, great guy.

As for my setup, I have it configured so I use the C1 as the master volume, and do not touch any other volume settings. (i.e. the Denon receiver HDMI decoder) I'm trying to remember exactly how I did the particulars. (I'm not home right now to check my settings, so for all I remember, the line-level multichannel pre-outs from the Denon HDMI receiver may even be fixed in volume) But what I'm remembering is:

1. My C1 was already calibrated and configured for my setup, using the C1 calibration functions, and multiple prosumer and professional calibration discs. (I'm a sucker for those things) I have it set for THX reference volume at 0db, plus all correct channel distances and levels.

2. I turned the C1 input to the multichannel analog inputs that are connected to the Denon HDMI decoder receiver, left the C1 at reference volume, and then did a full calibration with the Denon receiver, including Audyssey for all desired primary listening locations, speaker levels and distances, etc, leaving the Denon volume at whatever level also delivers a THX reference level. (like I said, this could be fixed, or 0db, for all I remember)

3. Once calibrated and set, I leave the Denon alone, and don't ever touch it physically. The only thing I do with the remote is switch the HDMI inputs (or multichannel analog inputs for my Halo D3 player when I'm listening to DVD-A or SACD) using my universal remote control.

4. Finally, I have my URC universal remote programmed with macros and everything to be the master remote. One push of the button changes all inputs at once, so all components (C1, Zhd, and Denon HDMI receiver) change seamlessly and invisibly to the user. Macros and automation are COOL.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• HDBLU
                • Jul 2008

I bought a A23 to run my Center Channel in Bi-amped off a Pioneer Receiver LX73 and I have done A/B Test with using the A23 and then the LX73 and the Pioneer comes very close to the A23 I was expecting a bigger difference the A23 is smoother but now am thinking I should of saved my money. Is it me or has Receivers come a long way from my Old Onkyo 803.

How long does the Parasound gear normally take to break in it only been used for a Center channel and it only vocals might take longer to break in.
                2ch Setup
                Krix Neupohonix
                Musical Fidelity M6i
                Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                MIT

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by HDBLU
                  Is it me or has Receivers come a long way
                  It very much depends on what speakers you have. Some speakers are less demanding than others.

Comment

• HDBLU
                    • Jul 2008

My Center Channel is this KRIX it a 4ohm Speaker, off my old onkyo receiver it sounded poor then I got the A23 and open up the sound and then I bought the LX73 and did some test with the Amp in the LX73 and they both sound similar the Pioneer is more forward where the A23 is smoother and has a bit better body, I do like a smoother sound over a forward sound so it not a complete waste of money then.
                    2ch Setup
                    Krix Neupohonix
                    Musical Fidelity M6i
                    Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                    MIT

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

It took a couple hundred hours, I think, with my previous Klipsch speakers to break in my Halo amps, but those were very efficient speakers. I don't run them anymore, but my amps are already broken in now.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Chris, what speakers are you using now?

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I'm using a matched 7.1 setup of M&K's 150 THX Ultra system. Three S-150 LCR's up front, and four SS-150 surrounds around the room. A bit interesting of a story--they actually were part of a package deal when I bought my current house which came with an existing theater room, whereas in my previous house I constructed my own private theater room from bare stud walls and built my entire system from scratch. My new system uses a composite of the gear and equipment that came with my new house, and my previous stuff. I originally had the matching system MX-350 subwoofer in there, but have replaced it with my dual SVS PC-Ultra subs.

I'm liking the system. I'm driving it with my Parasound Halo A21 and A51 amps, but would love to upgrade with a few JC-1's. My source and house gear are a completely other discussion. (I discuss most of it here: http://htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=29731 )

This is one of my PC-Ultras:

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• HDBLU
                            • Jul 2008

Hi all.

Am trying to learn about wattage. I picked a Pioneer SC-LX73 Receiver but a week before I bought a A23 Parasound to run my Center Channel in Bi-amped of my old onkyo Receiver. My Question is the Pioneer is Class D that has a 140w x2 at 8ohm by 20hz to 20khz but the Halo Parasound A23 has only 125 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 ohms, both channels driven. now is the Pioneer really pulling out 140w at 8ohms or should I just sell my Halo A23. or am a missing some think. Thanks for any help.
                            2ch Setup
                            Krix Neupohonix
                            Musical Fidelity M6i
                            Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                            MIT

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

HDBlu, there's more to amps than just pure wattage, just like there's more to cars than just pure horsepower. Unless all you want in a car is pure muscle, a better quality car with a more finely crafted engine and all other components will give you much better overall performance. Same with amps--unless all you want is dirty, raw power, a quality amp will give you much cleaner, smoother, noise-free sound than one that shoots out gigawatts of power at all costs. Otherwise, you might as well sell that Pioneer, too, and just buy a $500 loudspeaker amp that has a rating of 1,500 watts per channel. As for the wattage rating, that's the max peak capable, if you were to drive your speakers to the loudest setting that demanded the most power from the amps. You'll never actually use 100% of the amount.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• HDBLU
                                • Jul 2008

Thanks Chris.

I have been doing some more testing. at louder levers and the A23 is miles ahead bass is better more detail sound and a lot smoother. The Pioneer has a louder sound at the same lever but it a more in your face sound. But I hook the A23 up to my new Musical Fidelity M6PRE and theirs a world of different in sound vs the Pre that in the Pioneer Receiver. In a year or two I might get a Pre-Pro and move the Pioneer in to one of my Bed rooms. Thanks again. Cheers Kris
                                2ch Setup
                                Krix Neupohonix
                                Musical Fidelity M6i
                                Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                MIT

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"