What do you want to see in the B3 Halo Blu-Ray Player?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

What do you want to see in the B3 Halo Blu-Ray Player?

Let's get some input going to the Parasound guys, as far as what we as end users would like to see from a Parasound Blu-Ray player. As you know, the Halo B3 player is actually in development for an unknown future release. Since it's not finalized, there's an opporunity for us to influence what we'd like to see.

Please chime in and give your input. We've had great success in the past, with suggestions we've had being reviewed by Parasound staff and incorporated into products. You never know if you might help form the next model!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

How about a BDP that is universal. Can play SACD, HDCD, XRCD (reference quality). Also, can play HDDVD (some have manage to buy alot of hddvd).

Comment

• Le Caribou
      • Jun 2009

So there is no New Classic bd player in product? :-(

Comment

• blownrx7
        • Dec 2004

Definitely a multi-format player!

Digital IN and OUT,
        Balanced outputs too.

Put it in the SQ level of Esoteric, Wadia, Audio Aero etc etc.
        It has to undercut the price of Denon and Lexicon BY A LOT though.
        I'm not saying Oppo prices but over two grand would NOT be good for it's success.
        Last edited by blownrx7; 16 September 2009, 10:56 Wednesday.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Subtitle shift!!! (Philips does this, but they are withdrawing from the US market, so we are not likely to see any Region A players with this capability).

Comment

• hamtor
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Peter Nielsen
            Subtitle shift!!! (Philips does this, but they are withdrawing from the US market, so we are not likely to see any Region A players with this capability).
            +1

and multi-region for both BD and DVD.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

My input:

1. Very importantly, I want Ethernet/network capability. This should be for BD-Live, (which I use, albeit rarely) but also for firmware updates and any future capabilities that Blu-Ray dreams up beyond BD 2.0.

2. I'd like a truly universal player. In order of importance to me, this would include Blu-Ray, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, XRCD, and MP3. (note that this would NOT include HD-DVD... dead format) Some would like DIVX... not important to me personally.

3. Gotta be in a standardized Halo casing, rackmountable of course. (not sure if we would need a second New Classic model too) Display and other visual appearance should blend fully with existing Halo models.

4. Must be capable of passing ALL audio formats over HDMI. (note: please make sure that the C3 and new processors can receive and decode them as well, including SACD and such!)

5. Yes, need 7.1 analog outputs as well, for those that don't have HDMI 1.3+. Would like to see these simultaneously active with HDMI audio streaming, not selectable for one or the other.

6. Needs to upscale DVD to 1080p.

7. Would like at least one pair of stereo XLR outputs with top-quality audio for reference 2-channel listening.

8. Down-rezzed composite video outputs simultaneously in operation with HDMI output. (for use with video monitors in addition to an HD display)

9. Don't care about the remote control.

10. BUT... (and this is important) I want the B3 (and on that note, the C3 and new processors also) to have available 2-WAY MODULES FOR UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROLS. Parasound is already a "Complete Control Partner" with URC for remotes. But Parasound needs to have 2-way modules, meaning that URC's remotes can not only communicate and control Parasound units, but select Parasound products would also output feedback data BACK to the remote control. This means that you could turn up the volume, and the remote control screen would show the pre/pro's actual volume as it changes, with the level displayed. (i.e. -25db, or whatever) For the B3, this means that you could see metadata displayed on your remote control screen for the disc you're watching/hearing, such as disc info, as well as your current place in the disc playback, etc. Exciting options. And yes... I'll pay extra for this if needed.

11. I want unparalleled audio and video quality, obviously. If I have to choose, though, an area of emphasis, I'll take audio quality, thank you very much.

12. I know many people will want a region-free player. (this comes up a lot) personally, not important to me.

13. Lastly, HDMI 1.4. We might as well talk about it. By the time the B3 comes out, HDMI 1.4 will be the "standard", with features that aren't essential to cutting-edge operations, but are nice-to-have or forward-looking. So I think the B3, C3, and other upcoming models should have pertinent features from HDMI 1.4 to make them current technology and enable some future capabilities that will shortly follow. See my thread below for the thread info I just posted about HDMI 1.4:

Features I think should be incorporated are:
              - HDMI ethernet
              - 3D capability
              - Resolution beyond 1080p
              - Further enhanced color
              Last edited by Chris D; 17 September 2009, 14:59 Thursday.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Q-Man
                • Mar 2004

I'm waiting for the C3 to come out, because I like the sound of my C1.
                Once I get the C3 then I'll be buying a Blu-Ray Universal Player.
                I may wait to buy a Blu-Ray player from Parasound, but only if it is a Universal
                player that does DVD-Audio, SACD, & DVD.

Comment

• brodricj
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Q-Man
                  I'm waiting for the C3 to come out..
                  Do these people know something we don't:

Scroll down to "New from Parasound"

Getting back to the topic. I would like to see a Halo BR player/server combo that communicates over IP, where the BR player can write a back up copy of the disc to the server, with cover art, search functions, on-line movie dbase and all that. Similar to a Kaleidescape system. OK, make it the same as a Kaleidescape system but at a Parasound price.

Yeah I know I'm dreaming and there will be issues with the DVD CCA people and all that. Just wave the white flag at them now and down rez any HD video content to 480/576i but keep the HD audio at uncompressed lossless.

And everything else that Chris D says in his post as well, plus 2-way modules for other OEM remotes like ProntoPro and Crestron and AMX and the like (Do the Pronto module first :B ) and give it a 100-240V 50/60Hz universal power supply.
                  Last edited by brodricj; 22 September 2009, 14:21 Tuesday.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Just 1-4 weeks away for the new HDMI processors? Mmmm.... not likely.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• TommyV
                      • Feb 2007

Here is my wish list:
                      • SACD, DVD-A, and maybe HDCD
                      • Decoding of all new audio codecs
                      • Top of the line video processing/scaling for DVD (I vote QDEO they are way underrated)
                      • Please no layer change pauses (make it a bad @ss DVD player!)
                      • Respectable power on and disc load times
                      • BD 2.0
                      • Dedicated 2ch outputs with specific high end DAC for great Stereo sound
                      • More attention to 2ch playback with an anti-jitter clock (should be able to hold its own with nice CD players)
                      • A Night Surround Mode (love this feature in my Panasonic for night time movie watching)
                      • A commitment to fw updates when fox decides to throw some new experimental disc out on the market

If they did all those things I may have to buy two (well maybe one first). I really think they should try and keep it in the $1k range but just call me crazy. If they go over $1.5k they better come with guns blazin' cause the Pioneer Elite 09 is a machine to contend with and can be bought for $1.7k last I checked.

I think they should decide if they want to make this an end all be all player or not. IMO a company should have two players, one with all the features and another more scaled down (less expensive) version for those people who just plan on hooking it to an HDMI pre/pro and be done with it.

Right now I have a cheap Panasonic BD60 and an Oppo 970 in my HT. I use HDMI and they both work great but a nice player that could replace both would be sweet. I have thought about the Oppo but I am holding off until some more companies come out with their products.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Ah yes, disc load times. Forgot about that. Some players are pretty bad about that, so that's one of the "negative issues" that I hope we don't need to mention, stating any bad features that we do NOT want included.

Regarding audio formats, I also supposed that would be assumed at this stage, but you're right, might as well make it clear--want it to bitstream ALL audio formats up to full 7.1 Dolby TruHD and 7.1 DTS-MA, over HDMI. (and the potential capability of future as well, like 9.1 discrete if/when it comes out)

On the note of BD 2.0, it's going to keep marching on. Since BD is now well established, but still early in the technology and developing rapidly, it is CERTAIN that BD features like BD 2.0 will upgrade steadily. So I'd like to have any player not only networked, but able to receive and install updates via ethernet as well. (I think this is also becoming more important for AVR/processors, so I hope the new ones get ethernet added as well!)
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Le Caribou
                          • Jun 2009

I Want a B3 with 2 HDMI 1.4:
                          -One connected on the C3 for Audio, and switched to the TV.
                          -And Another one Connected to a Projector 3D.

Or Only one if the C3 is HDMI 1.4 (3D) compatible.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Le Caribou
                            I Want a B3 with 2 HDMI 1.4:
                            -One connected on the C3 for Audio, and switched to the TV.
                            -And Another one Connected to a Projector 3D.

Or Only one if the C3 is HDMI 1.4 (3D) compatible.
                            Huh... so that would be for setups with multiple displays, like a TV for watching broadcast television, and a separate projector for fine movie watching?

Totally understand what you're talking about though, that all components need to have the same HDMI features for them to work. (like HDMI 1.4 3D video like you mention) So if the B3 has any HDMI 1.4 features, but the C3 does not, the C3 most likely will not pass that feature through, and you'll lose the 3D video capability, or whatever the feature is.

As we've talked about before, HDMI 1.4 is fully an issue now. HDMI 1.4 is in full release as the current specification, and Parasound needs to decide if and how it will implement any of the HDMI 1.4 features into the B3 and C3 before release!

Originally posted by brodricj
                            plus 2-way modules for other OEM remotes like ProntoPro and Crestron and AMX and the like (Do the Pronto module first :B )
                            I agree with this as well. I've been STRONGLY advocating that Parasound develop 2-way modules for the upcoming C3, and definitely want one for the B3 as well. Parasound is a Complete Control partner with URC--I've talked to URC about this, and they are ready and strongly want to do the modules. If Parasound goes for it, we'll have some AMAZING control and feature interactivity with these upcoming products!

Can you imagine having the cover art of the movie you're watching, showing on your remote control? Press "pause", and the remote control shows that you're paused on its screen, with the run-time displayed of how far you are into the movie? Press the "volume up" button, and it not only turns up the volume, but shows you on your remote control screen the volume LEVEL you changing it to? (i.e. -22 db or whatever) These and a LOT more are all possible with 2-way modules!
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                              Can you imagine having the cover art of the movie you're watching, showing on your remote control? Press "pause", and the remote control shows that you're paused on its screen, with the run-time displayed of how far you are into the movie? Press the "volume up" button, and it not only turns up the volume, but shows you on your remote control screen the volume LEVEL you changing it to? (i.e. -22 db or whatever) These and a LOT more are all possible with 2-way modules!
                              Already doing all of this with my Oppo BDP-83, TacT TCS and Pronto...

BTW, once you've gotten used to an RF remote, you will never want to go back to IR....

Comment

• Le Caribou
                                • Jun 2009

Huh... so that would be for setups with multiple displays, like a TV for watching broadcast television, and a separate projector for fine movie watching?
                                Yes, for example. because C3 not have 2 HDMI.

Totally understand what you're talking about though, that all components need to have the same HDMI features for them to work. (like HDMI 1.4 3D video like you mention) So if the B3 has any HDMI 1.4 features, but the C3 does not, the C3 most likely will not pass that feature through, and you'll lose the 3D video capability, or whatever the feature is.

As we've talked about before, HDMI 1.4 is fully an issue now. HDMI 1.4 is in full release as the current specification, and Parasound needs to decide if and how it will implement any of the HDMI 1.4 features into the B3 and C3 before release!
                                Yes exactly what I'm thinking.
                                I don't want to change My Lexicon MC-8 for a HD Processor and finally plug my blu-ray player in Coax or Optique if I want to use the 3D.
                                I'm waiting since 1 years now the new New Classic or Halo Product, and I can wait 6 months if Parasound want to add HDMI 1.4 on new Processor...

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Peter THE MAN Nielsen
                                  Already doing all of this with my Oppo BDP-83, TacT TCS and Pronto...

BTW, once you've gotten used to an RF remote, you will never want to go back to IR....
                                  SWEET, Peter. I've really been pushing URC on their ventures there. Did Oppo develop 2-way modules?

And yes, I agree on the RF remotes. All my remotes are now IR/RF, and I've even been migrating over to IP network control capability as well. I assume you've been doing the same, if you're doing 2-way control!

Originally posted by Le Caribou
                                  I'm waiting since 1 years now the new New Classic or Halo Product, and I can wait 6 months if Parasound want to add HDMI 1.4 on new Processor...
                                  I think I'd have to agree with you on this one. Of course, at some point, you have to just bite the bullet and release the product. But when you use the strategy of taking an extended time to release products to get them perfect (which I appreciate about Parasound) in today's world, you've got to either deal with new technologies that come along in the meantime, like HDMI 1.4, or release products that are no longer cutting edge.

As always, I'm taking the idealistic approach at first, and hoping that we get it ALL, in both the C3 and B3.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

SWEET, Peter. I've really been pushing URC on their ventures there. Did Oppo develop 2-way modules?
                                    No there's no ready made module, but the Pronto can be programmed with ProntoScript (=JavaScript with a few quirks). For a skilled (Java) programmer this makes things really "easy" once you've managed to overcome the learning threshold of the remotes and ProntoScript tools (ProntoEdit).

I'm actually using *both* the RS-232 and IR inputs on my Oppo. The IR is used for the few things that can't be done via RS-232. (There's a new command in the latest firmware for Subtitle Shift that is not yet in the RS-232 command set, and Blu-Ray region switching can only be done via IR since the region-free-modification hardware only taps the IR signal and won't see any RS-232 comm.)

And yes, I agree on the RF remotes. All my remotes are now IR/RF, and I've even been migrating over to IP network control capability as well. I assume you've been doing the same, if you're doing 2-way control!
                                    Yes, the Pronto Extender (RFX9600) I'm using has 4xRS232 and 4xIR outputs and is hooked up to the wired network. The Pronto does IP communication over Wifi with the Pronto Extender.

I'm also doing IP communication with my Lutron RadioRA-SR gear. The RadioRA controller also is hooked up on wired Ethernet. Oh, and the SlimDevices Transporter is of course controlled over Ethernet too..

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"