X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

News from CEDIA

Spent a good hour or so with the Parasound guys at their CEDIA booth today. What a great bunch of guys--one of the few companies (much less the President of said company!) that took the time just to ask about personal stuff in life, how things were going, wanted to see pictures of my daughter, etc.

So here's some "news" and answers to questions that ya'll were asking in the frame of CEDIA:

1. Perhaps most interesting, I learned that Parasound has STOPPED shipping the MX-700 remote with the C1 and C2. Now, both Halo A/V processors AND the New Classic 7100 will be carrying the newer model "RF-30" from Universal Remote. First, this is partially because URC stopped supporting updates for the MX-700. So current Parasound MX-700 users need not fear, their remotes will still work fine and can use the Parasound MXEditor software. But new RF-30 owners will likely be using Universal Remote's new customizable programing software. (haven't nailed this down for sure yet)

I only spent about 5 minutes with the new remote, so I don't know too much about what its capabilities are, and if/how it differs from the MX-700. Appearance-wise, it's dark grey, and thinner than the MX-700. Should be similar in capabilities and custom programming features.

2. I met some very "interesting" people around the Parasound booth, who I let know about tthis discussion forum. I'll be very interested to see if anybody new pops their head in here soon.

3. NO, there are no planned firmware or hardware upgrades to the C1/C2/7100 at this time. It looks like instead of an upgrade, the next new thing we'll likely see is an all-new A/V processor. (Halo C3 perhaps? Who knows) There are no releasable plans for this right now, so don't count on anything anytime soon.

4. We will not see any BD or HD-DVD product from Parasound until the war's over, it looks like. And when that happens, if we get BD/HD-DVD support from Parasound, expect it to be an all-new player, and NOT an upgrade to the D3 like some have been guessing.

5. Parasound does not have a JC-2 on display, but word is that a speaker manufacturer in the show is using it for a pre-amp. I'll see if I can go take a look.

6. Saw a very, very interesting picture today of a very "custom" Parasound Halo install. I'm going to see if I can track down a copy of the pic to post for ya'll.

Let me know if you have any other questions, there's still another couple of days left.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

Thank you Chris!

I'm interested in reading your follow ups!
    Tony

Comment

• hamtor
      • Sep 2004

Can you ask them of any plans for a CD player in the "JC" series?

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yes, I sure will.

Thanks for reminding me, though! I almost forgot--the Parasound guys there DID say that they had been actively pursuing a CD/DVD player that would fit in the Z-series. I think that would be AWESOME--truly a great product for a small office with a "Zetup" or something.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Here's the new remote that's packaged with Parasound A/V controllers:

URC (Universal Remote Control) offers luxury home automation & commercial automation systems. Experience premium control & automation for your home or business.

The RF-30 universal and learning remote control was designed for A/V enthusiasts who want to "customize" all aspects of home theater operation. The RF-30's touch screen LCD panel can be edited based on consumer device and function label preferences. The RF-30 sends both IR and RF signals, making whole-house operation (indoors and outdoors, through cabinets, walls and doors) possible with the addition of the optional MRF-100 RF receiver base station. The RF-30 can be programmed to execute "macros" including hundreds of A/V operation commands by pressing one button.

Features and Benefits

Transmits both IR and RF signals

Touch screen LCD for simple direct operation

Replaces up to 15 remote controls

Instantly access up to 40 favorite channels with the press of one button

Pre-programmed and learning remote with 647 macro buttons, each with up to 190 commands

Automate activities with advanced features: favorite channel, punch through and more

Retains programming without batteries up to 10 years

Works indoors or outdoors with the optional MRF-100 RF receiver

Specifications
          LCD Size: 1.375" x 1.875"
          Size: 8.5" x 2.5" x 1" (L x W x H)
          Weight: 8 oz (with batteries)
          Learning Capabilities: 720 IR commands at standard frequencies (15 kHz to 100 kHz)
          Macro Capabilities: 687 macro and favorite channel buttons (up to 190 steps each)
          Range: RF - 50 to 100 feet / IR - 50 to 60 feet. Approximate range will vary depending upon operational and environmental conditions
          Power Supply: 4 AAA alkaline batteries (included)
          Warranty: One year parts & labor
          MSRP: $149.99
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mikepinkerton
            • Jun 2004

So that doesn't really make me feel good about buying a C1/C2 now, with no upgrades planned and no dates on when the replacement will be available. Doesn't it sorta seem like the Halo has been abandoned?

-Mike

Comment

• jkscherk
              • Aug 2003

And what about the P7? All the new items on their site have been sighted with the exception of this one. What's the deal?

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mikepinkerton
                So that doesn't really make me feel good about buying a C1/C2 now, with no upgrades planned and no dates on when the replacement will be available. Doesn't it sorta seem like the Halo has been abandoned?
                Halo has not been abandoned, for sure. Eventually, there will be a successor for the C1/C2, but we already knew that.

I am not the least surprised. The features needed in the next generation processor, most importantly HDMI 1.3 support, requires major hardware changes.

If you have the patience to stand by and wait, sure that's what you should do. Technology moves forward all the time. However, if you need a processor right now, the C2 is still an excellent choice and a good buy.

Eventually a replacement for the C2 will be around. It may take a year or two, but we know it will come sooner or later (probably later :B ). Unless the C2 is missing the features you need, get the C2 now and be happy. You can always upgrade later...

BTW, when it comes to audio gear, I've learned that most manufacturers only provide updates as long as the product has flaws (i.e. to fix things that are wrong in units already sold). Thus, no planned updates is actually a good thing. The current C1/C2 is rock solid IMHO. If you buy the latest and greatest, be prepared to struggle with glitches, bugs, and stuff that may sour your experience. Maybe the worst that can happen is that you end up struggling with it alone, as there are only a few units sold and no other owners are around to discuss or help you (other than the manufacturer).

The C1/C2 is well proven, and this forum probably has at least a hundred C2 owners that can help you should you have any problems or questions.

Buying high end is not the same as buying a super-mass produced receiver of brand XXX (Sony, Denon, etc) that has already been mass beta tested. When buying brands like Parasound, Rotel, Lexicon, Theta, Krell beta testing is usually severely limited (in comparison to the Japanese mass products) and new products inevitably have bugs and problems that the first owners may have to struggle through...

Makes me remember the fact that early C1/C2 owners had to bring or ship their units to a service center to replace a faulty capacitor in the power supply...

Peter

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

I did ask about the P7 being at the show, and Richard Schram was a bit sheepish that it hasn't been released yet. But I was also surprised that they didn't have a JC-2 on display at least, if not being demo'd. Parasound was oriented towards the custom installer at this show, though, being CEDIA, and not so much an audiophile end-user.

HOWEVER... another company (PMC speakers) did have a JC-2 used in a demo during the show, which I got to hear. Simply freakin' unbelievable. I'll post my thoughts and pictures in another dedicated thread.

I did get permission to track down another treat for you guys, so when I get it in, I'll post it for the club. (cool new pictures, really, not news... don't want to get hopes up)

Oh, and rumor has it, that Stereophile may review the JC-2. We can only hope! I can certainly guess what the result is.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"