X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Agamemnon
    • Jun 2004

HCA 2205 - one channel running hot?

I just bought a used 2205 and the cooling-fins at it's back gets very warm.
    Almost to warm to touch.
    It's placed on the floor, well away from the wall and other components.

Should I be concerned, or is there a reason for it?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Agamemnon, are you reading Zoran's post on the same issue?

Welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound, too! :banana:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Agamemnon
      • Jun 2004

Thank you, Chris.
      I'm not new to the Guide, but this is my first Parasound and I really, really like it. :T

I did read Zoran's post, but the diffrence in temps in my case are probably more like 20 degrees (Celsius).
      The amp runs warm even if I dont use the channel, and it stays warm after turning the pre off.

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Agamemnon
        I did read Zoran's post, but the diffrence in temps in my case are probably more like 20 degrees (Celsius).
        That's too hot. Yes, you should be concerned. That amp needs to be serviced. (It could be as easy as adjusting the idle bias).

Peter

Comment

• Agamemnon
          • Jun 2004

Well, not really the answer I wanted.

I was hoping some mysterious Class A circuits were located there, giving of the heat.

Finding a servicecenter in Sweden wont be easy, since there aren't even any dealers here anymore.
          I'll just leave it with a local guy and hope for the best.
          He's been building amps for a few decades so checking the bias wont be a problem for him....

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I was hoping some mysterious Class A circuits were located there, giving of the heat.
            Sorry. All the channels are identical, and should behave that way. (My guess: The previous owner may have kept the amp in a closed rack that did not give the 5th amp on the middle panel enough air contitioning...)

Finding a servicecenter in Sweden wont be easy, since there aren't even any dealers here anymore.
            I'll just leave it with a local guy and hope for the best.
            He's been building amps for a few decades so checking the bias wont be a problem for him....
            Then it sounds like it's in good hands! Parasound amps have an excellent design that follows standard amplifier design criteria. There is nothing mysterious about Parasound amps. However, I would recommend that your service guy is using original Parasound replacement parts (if needed) instead of generic replacements. Tell him: "Om du måste byta ut någon komponent, vänligen beställ originaldelen från Parasound. Jag vill ha originaldelen, inte en substitution!"

Peter

Comment

• Agamemnon
              • Jun 2004

Some pretty good swedish there, Peter.
              Are you from around here, or did Babelfish just get a major overhaul?

I intend to use original parts, but hopefully there wont be any need for it.
              There's nothing else suggesting anything is seriously wrong with the amp.

Thinking about it, it's also very hard to determine how hot something gets by touch.
              50 degrees centigrade feels very warm, and 60 has almost a burning sensation to it.
              The diffrence in my case might be closer to 10 degrees than 20...

Comment

• hamtor
                • Sep 2004

Some pretty good swedish there, Peter.
                Are you from around here, or did Babelfish just get a major overhaul?
                He is from Finland

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by hamtor
                  He is from Finland
                  Yep... I'm of the 5% minority of Swedish-speakers from Finland. (Swedish is my mother tongue).

Peter

Comment

• Agamemnon
                    • Jun 2004

The name Nielsen had me guessing on Denmark, or maybe Norway.

Still no update on my problem, since the service guy is away on vacation.
                    He wont be back for at least another week....
                    Been thinking about disconnecting the channel for now, since I'm running a two-channel setup ATM.
                    Good or bad idea?

Comment

• blownrx7
                      • Dec 2004

Good idea!
                      Disconnectiong the suspect channel will present no problems until you can get it properly checked out.

Comment

• Agamemnon
                        • Jun 2004

Finally an answer I like.

But just to clarify: I'm talking about disconnecting it internally by pulling the connectors to that board.

Comment

• Agamemnon
                          • Jun 2004

It's done.
                          A bit tricky since I had to remove the back end to get to the power-connector.
                          I tried without disconnecting it at first, but it got just as hot.

I'm really hoping nothing else will go wrong with it now because of this

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"