X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jariten
    • Jun 2000

Hints on positioning B&W 805s

Hi Everyone ^_^;;;

just went auditioning with my wife and we brought back a pair of these.
    N805's in Black.

Electronics behind them are : Accuphase P500L Amp and Denon CDC -S10 MKIII cd player

just looking for hints on best positioning of these speakers.
    they are on stands (NOT B&W stands)

so just wondering

:T
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

It really depends on your room, and the accustic within it.
    As a general rule you should be sitting farther away from the speakers than the distance between them. They should be placed about 30 degree of axis from a straight line.
    The closer you place them to the rear wall, the more output you will normally get in the deepest area (bass), but that is not alwayes true.
    Depending on your room size, placing them at least 3 feet (1 Meter) away from the side walls is also to be recommended.

One small tip - buy some painting tape (the paper stuff you use to cover when you paint)and mark the different positions so that when you want to install you spikes, cones or what ever you use - it will be easier to get the speakers placed correctly.

Finally, remember to audition with at least two pieces of music that you know well, and that are very different.
    When I say different, then think of classic vs pop etc. Reason for this is that in my own experience it is almost alwayes a compromize that you have to make between position and different kinds of music.. But your ears should be the final judge..

Good luck with it...

Comment

• Jariten
      • Jun 2000

Ok!

will do that !

*scribble*

:B

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

The best sound is face down on the carpet. How else would you put a fine speaker?

Just kidding. I am sure they can be placement sensitive. Like anything else in life, trial and error.

Solid Answer Anders. I'm just messing with Tony. We go way back. :B

Lex
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

Yeah, it's really trial and error. No offense to aarsoe, but the equilateral triangle is regarded as the best way to position yourself and the speakers. Because of the way my living room works, my speakers and I are more to what aarsoe described, 10 ft away and the speakers are 7 ft apart. They are 2.5 feet away from the back wall. I like the sound of my speakers with almost no toe-in. With no toe-in, it seems I just positioned them arbitrarily when in fact, I came to that positioning after a ton of fiddling.

Also, IMO, B&Ws tend to be directional and finicky to the space around them. Speakers really benefit from open space around them, but with B&W, it's especially the fact. Be prepared for a lot of playing around to get the sound you like.

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by will1066
            Also, IMO, B&Ws tend to be directional and finicky to the space around them. Speakers really benefit from open space around them, but with B&W, it's especially the fact. Be prepared for a lot of playing around to get the sound you like.
            I've had mine for 2 years and I am still fiddling with them.

In his Stereophile review of the N805's, Larry Greenhill had them setup 62 inches out from the back wall and 44 inches in from the side walls. For most of us using them for HT that would be in someone’s lap!

Unfortunately in my room, my screen is 8 feet wide and the room is 12 feet wide so they get forced closer to the side wall than I would have liked. Soon I will be experimenting with some sound treatments on the side walls in an attempt to make the walls "disappear".
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

Will1066 - No offense taken.. :W

Forgot one more tip - sometime toing the speakers in so that they meet up in front of your position can help in widening the image.
              I love a good sound, but hate speakers that will only please one single person sitting with his/her head tied into the same position..

But - thats not the 805's.. so dont worry they are great little speakers.. :T

Comment

• Jariten
                • Jun 2000

Doug !

I always thought your system sounded muffled....
                I mean....why do all your drivers touch the floor?
                Unless you are looking to have the cabinets resonate the sound...you might want to pull up your SF's from the floor...

*grin*

Right now I don't have much space to play...the speakers are on my stands and one side is just too close to the wall...it sounds weird...

AND there are boxes all over the place!
                Soon we will be living on the floor....as all our stuff will be shipped to NY...
                Ah well...

Greggz thanks for the tips.....*scribble*

These are all things I'll toy with once we are settled in...

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"