X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amdan
    • Sep 2006

B&W 802N - Any advice on positioning

Is there anything I should know about positioning these speakers. I currently have them about 60 inches from the back wall and 68 inches from the side walls. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by amdan
    Is there anything I should know about positioning these speakers. I currently have them about 60 inches from the back wall and 68 inches from the side walls. Any advice would be appreciated.
    How do they sound? Try listening to source material you are very familiar with and moving them around.

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

Here is how I do it for my rectangular room :

1.use the following formula for INITIAL positioning relative to your room walls :
      speaker to side wall = Room width x 0.276
      speaker to rear wall = room width x 0.447
      speaker to opposite side wall = room width x 0.724
      speaker to speaker = room width x 0.447

2.make sure your sitting position is at similar distance to that of the distance between the speakers

3. fine tune your sitting position and toe-in as per your ears, whichever gives you the best imaging etc.

hope it helps
      Eliav
      :T Socrat

Comment

• amdan
        • Sep 2006

I have tried this method and it doesn't work in my room. I don't get enough bass.

However thanks for the suggestion Eliav. This exactly the sort of thing I am looking for - starting point and guidance on how to adjust from there. The alternative is to try the infinite number of positioning possibilities!

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

I have tried this method and it doesn't work in my room. I don't get enough bass.

However thanks for the suggestion Eliav. This exactly the sort of thing I am looking for - starting point and guidance on how to adjust from there. The alternative is to try the infinite number of positioning possibilities!
          Amdan
          The lack of bass is normally secondary to standing waves rather than speaker positioning, I am sure that appropriate room treatment will IMPROVE your lower ends.
          Eliav

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

What are your room dimensions?
            Danish

Comment

• DryLan
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Eliav
              Here is how I do it for my rectangular room :

1.use the following formula for INITIAL positioning relative to your room walls :
              speaker to side wall = Room width x 0.276
              speaker to rear wall = room width x 0.447
              speaker to opposite side wall = room width x 0.724
              speaker to speaker = room width x 0.447

2.make sure your sitting position is at similar distance to that of the distance between the speakers

3. fine tune your sitting position and toe-in as per your ears, whichever gives you the best imaging etc.

hope it helps
              Eliav
              Room width for positioning the speaker to the rear wall ? I don't understand that. the standing wave in this direction depend of lenght of the room.

''We go always too far for people who go nowhere''

Comment

• amdan
                • Sep 2006

The room dimensions are 5.58m (18' 4") by 5.86m (19' 3") by 2.886m 9' 6" (height). The speakers are on the long wall. They are currently 60 inches from the back wall and 68 inches from the side wall.

Comment

• chowhwk
                  • Jun 2006

The room dimensions are 5.58m (18' 4") by 5.86m (19' 3") by 2.886m 9' 6" (height). The speakers are on the long wall. They are currently 60 inches from the back wall and 68 inches from the side wall.
                  you have a almost square room and will make positioning challenging.
                  If you start with the positioning suggested and find not sufficient bass, you can move the speaker towrards the front (facing you) wall and will have an improvement in bass. There may be some trade-off on soundstage and depth.

I am using N802 in a room of 6.6M X 4.9M.
                  At this moment in time, the speakers are 1.72M from the front wall and 1.32M from the sidewall. The distance between the speakers is around 2.3M and I sit 2.3M from the line joining the woofers of the speakers.

Comment

• Eliav
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DryLan
                    Room width for positioning the speaker to the rear wall ? I don't understand that. the standing wave in this direction depend of lenght of the room.

This formula takes care of "active nodes" = the frequency where speakers and parallel wall interacts.
                    these frequencies are proportional to the distance between the walls (rear and side) and the speakers.
                    by following this formula, the three 'nodes" frequencies progress differently thus minimizing unison resonance in the nodes.
                    Eliav
                    Attached Files

Comment

• chowhwk
                      • Jun 2006

This formula takes care of "active nodes" = the frequency where speakers and parallel wall interacts.
                      these frequencies are proportional to the distance between the walls (rear and side) and the speakers.
                      by following this formula, the three 'nodes" frequencies progress differently thus minimizing unison resonance in the nodes.
                      Eliav
                      This is a very effective method, athough you will find you have to put the speaker very much forward. The alternative you can try is to use the length of the room divide into odd numbers, same five and use this as the starting position to try.

Comment

• Eliav
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by chowhwk
                        This is a very effective method, athough you will find you have to put the speaker very much forward. The alternative you can try is to use the length of the room divide into odd numbers, same five and use this as the starting position to try.
                        hi
                        how do you practically do this ?
                        Eliav

Comment

• chowhwk
                          • Jun 2006

hi
                          how do you practically do this ?
                          Eliav
                          you start with one position, say 1/5 of the length of the room. Listen to the bass and see if it is coherent. Try it for a week before you move it towards you or towards the wall.
                          Only by trial and error you can get the position best for you.

Alternatively you can use the Wilson method, where you determine first the zone where the room effect is the least and then do the trial and error.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"