X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KMD
    • Apr 2003

What's behind your 802's

Here's a general question to anyone who has a pair of 802's. What's the Amp brand and size ,also did you have a smaller one before then "upgraded" to a bigger one or for that matter. Doing awful amount of dreaming lately.
  • Scarp
    • Mar 2003

I know two systems with 802's. Both powered by Parasound. One uses a HCA3500 for the 802's. The other system uses two JC1 monoblocks.

I know that before the HCA3500, the person uses other Parasound amps. Also for the JC1 owner, he used a Parasound A51 first.

Comment

• KMD
      • Apr 2003

Scarp rigt now I'm using Rotel 1075 and pretty happy with it. But would like to wake things up when I decide to go to 2 channel. I've had my speakers for about 6 weeks or so and they are certainly sounding better all the time.I was thinking of Bryston or krell. I'll have to do some more reseach to locate a parasound dealer in my area. (Iam trying to stay in the guidelines of topic)

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

Wow, you're going to get a huge upgrade from changing that 1075 to something a little more powerful and detailed.
        I just upgraded my RMB1075 to a Parasound HCA2205, and the results are amazing.
        I have 804's myself, so imagine what it will do for your 802's. 8O
        Using it with the RSP1098 as pre/pro, I've gained a huge amount of midrange detail, treble clarity and bass control.
        The 1075 was very dull-sounding, very little midrange detail, almost no highs, and verry sloppy bass.
        I'm not saying it isn't a good amp, but it just isn't good enough (imho) for the Nautilus series.
        It think it feels more at home with something like B&W 600 series, or KEF Q series, something in that range.
        I liked its sound way better with my old Yamaha speakers than I did with the 804's.
        The Parasound however is a completely different league, it's got really tight bass, midrange is much more detailed and present, and the highs are more sparkling.
        Bryston or Krell are obviously very good choices as well, never heard them myself though.

802's require nothing but the best amplification to get them going, I'm sure you'll agree with me after your upgrade

Comment

• Phil Rose
          • Aug 2000

I was using my ATI AT1505 5-channel 150 WPC amp before I was able to get my 500 W Bryston 7B-ST monoblocks. Actually, the factory measured the Brystons at well over 600 W.

Anyway, the big Brystons were quite an upgrade from the little ATI. The bass became very tight and the treble was much smoother. They are very neutral sounding and I've heard that the SST incarnations are smoother yet. The 7B-STs are fed by a Sonic Frontiers Line-3 SE which is a very nice combination.

The ATI now bi-amps the HTM1 and drives the N804 surrounds with one channel left unused.

Comment

• Dan Schulze
            • Jun 2003

I am currently using the Anthem AVM 20 processor and the Anthem MCA 50 amp (rated 180wpc into 8 ohms).

I am looking to upgrade to the Bryston amps (hopefully by year -end). I am undecided whether to go with two 7B-SST's (no bi-amping) or two 4B-SST's and bi-amp my 802's. Doing that I would also bi-amp my HTM1 with an extra channel I will have left over from my Anthem amp.

Does anyone have any experience bi-amping 802's and what difference it made in the sound? Or would I be better off to just use a monoblock amp for each speaker and not bother bi-amping them?

Thank-you,

Dan

I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!
            My Home Theater

Comment

• Phil Rose
              • Aug 2000

I would go for the big mono-blocks myself.

On my old speakers and a different amp I tried the bi-amping and didn't hear any real difference when compared to running a single amp per speaker. However, I did hear a big difference when I bridged two channels of that amp for each speaker. The sound was very relaxed and effortless with the bridged configuration vs. the staight or bi-amped configuration.

If you get a chance you might look at the current issue of Stereophile where Kieth Howard talks about measuring the different digital media ie, SACD, DVD-A and RBCD. In discussing the power envelope he states the following:

"... produces an average sound-pressure level of 100dB. The power output per channel required to achieve this is 75W. To achieve 16dB above this - about the largest 2ms dynamic power requirement identified by my measurements - means the amplifier must be able to deliver 2.26kW, albiet only over this short time span, in order to prevent clipping." ... "No wonder it is a common reaction to hugely powerful amplifiers that they impart a sense of ease and unfettered dynamic range that lesser amps fail to emulate."

Comment

• pf
                • Oct 2000

Hmmm... Phil, looks like it's time to trade up to those Musical Fidelity Kw mono's.

Seriously Dan, I think unless you're talking 'bout running some euphoric SET tube amps on the mid/high of the 802's I think one'd be better off giving it the whole 500w and let the built-in X-over decide instead of relying on an external X-over while limiting those woofers to no more than 250w max. Just my $ 0.02.

PF

Comment

• Phil Rose
                  • Aug 2000

Hi PF,

Still running those big Thetas? Aren't they 400W each? I'd agree with you to feed the 802 what they want, lots of power and plenty of current.

BTW, I got the Line 3 SE mod and think that it's much nicer that the standard. I'm looking long and hard at the new Sony SACD. Hope that the format doesn't go away.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Reminder to stay on focus, this is the B & W speaker forum, not the audio forum. equipment synergy issues involving other pieces of equipment belong in Audio. That's not to say they can't casually be mentioned in existing threads, but new threads specifically about amps for bw do not belong in this club.

Lex
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                      • Jun 2003

Phil & pf,

Thanks for your feedback on bi-amping the 802's.

Dan

My Home Theater

Comment

• pf
                        • Oct 2000

You're very welcome, Dan. Hope you enjoy the 802's and whatever amp you decide should work fine.

Phil, in order not to hijack the thread I'll PM you over @ the red forum where we talk PT stuff.

PF

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"