X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack667
    • Jul 2007

B&W 700 S2 series quality control

Hey guys

I picked up a pair of B&W 705 S2s at the end of last year and I've been really impressed with the sound. Back in January I noticed one of the drivers had a bump on it - so I went back to the dealer and they replaced it without any issues. Fast forward two months, and I've just noticed that the opposite speaker has some really obvious indents from screws/bolts from the inside - holding the cabinet together I'd imagine. Has anyone else noticed this on the new series? To say I'm disappointed is an understatement - seems like they cut corners on this new series as I've never experienced anything like this in 15 years+ of owning B&W products. Maybe I just have bad luck?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iww6ew7.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	786.1 KB
ID:	935681

Name:	eEl0jyW.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	935682

Name:	3x6VvjG.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	935683
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 20:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
    B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Sadly, welcome to the world of Chinese quality control.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Weetabix
      • Nov 2009

Hi jack667,

This certainly doesn't look the usual Bowers & Wilkins quality.

I know it's a few months on, however, have you considered getting in direct contact with their customer support?

They have a freephone number: 0800 232 1513, if you raise the issues with them, they may well investigate a resolution.

It's worth a try. You'll never know unless you ask.

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

That is bad isn't it! It looks like the grille magnets I think (hole for them not drilled deep enough) but it definitely should be something picked up in QC. I'd be onto them in a flash about it, or back in the shop about it. If you don't get any responses share them photos on Facebook or whatever saying you are being ignored and tag B&W in it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Weetabix
          • Nov 2009

hi jack667,

How did you get on with speaking with B&W, any joy?

Noticed you'd also posted this in AV Forums.

regards
          Last edited by Weetabix; 29 March 2018, 04:26 Thursday.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Very late to reply, but Alaric is correct.
            I purchased the HTM-71 and HTM-72 and both of them had issues from the factory. The HTM-71 had a large dent in the wood. The HTM-72 had a crack in the back.
            I raised the issue with B&W the day I opened the box. And sadly, it was about 3 months of fighting back and forth with B&W about the issue. From the first day, they did not want to admit to fault at all. No matter what department I talked to.
            I've owned B&W since the 600 s3 came out. Then Nautilus series. Then 800S series. All made in UK. I've had issues twice, both were malfunctions during a move, and B&W helped me right away.
            The new B&W though, there is an issue from the factory and they did not want to budge at all. They made all kind of excuses.
            Unfortunately, today's B&W is not the same B&W that was great back then.
            I personally will not be going back to B&W for any of their newer products. I don't see the point of spending thousands on an item only to have the company not back up their word.
            Last edited by audioqueso; 24 May 2018, 22:18 Thursday.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Mikael
              • Aug 2007

It is the same with Rotel They wont acknowledge they have a faulty CD drive in their new cd players. Its very noisy on the first 1 or 2 tracks of all my cd's. I have been talking to a lot of people who has the new Rotel CD player and they have the same issues as I have. But Rotel denies that there is a problem.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"