Center channel HTM3S alternative. CMC2 S2???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Center channel HTM3S alternative. CMC2 S2???

Hey everyone! It's been a long long time.  I've been enjoying my 2-channel setup for a few years.

I'm am going to start building my 5.1 setup again.
    I currently have 804S as my fronts. I know the HTM3S is the ideal center channel, but it's too big.
    I'm wondering if the latest CM Centre2 S2 can be used as a center channel with 804S as mains.
    Any feedback?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

I'd say that's as good a match as you'll get to be honest. Or the HTM4S if the height isn't the limiting factor.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Height and design is the limiting factor.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

(I need to change my avatar. I sold my 805's a long time ago)

Comment

• aarsoe
          • May 2004

Could you get away with using one of the custom install versions? They have some really great ones that could be completely concealed and still have same driver setup?

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

The one I would think would be most compatible would be the CT7.3 but it's huge!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
            Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by aarsoe
              Could you get away with using one of the custom install versions? They have some really great ones that could be completely concealed and still have same driver setup?
              No, I can't. I rent.

Originally posted by TomScrut
              The one I would think would be most compatible would be the CT7.3 but it's huge!
              Height and design is the limiting factor.

Thank you though.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Cwm8.3 with back box. Paint the back box. It's a smooth mdf. Height is around 12", width is about 65", but it's so thin you could mount it to wall above TV.

Kevin D.

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  Cwm8.3 with back box. Paint the back box. It's a smooth mdf. Height is around 12", width is about 65", but it's so thin you could mount it to wall above TV.

Kevin D.
                  Thank you, Kevin.

Unfortunately, I can not mount anything to the wall. I rent and the wall is backdrop of small tiles.
                  The house has a media rack built in. I will post a picture tonight.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

This is my setup. Unfortunately, the TV board is hardmounted to the wall and I can't do anything to the wall.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

And I'm assuming you're trying to keep the height down to not raise the TV that much?

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

And I'm assuming you're trying to keep the height down to not raise the TV that much?
                        I can't raise it too high. Even though the current TV board is hard mounted to the wall, whenever we get earthquakes, the tv shakes A LOT.
                        I am planning on buying a new tv later this year. I will probably make some kind of stand to have the tv sit a little bit higher. But it can't be too high because of stability issues during earthquakes.
                        So maybe just tall enough to fit a center channel.

Comment

• aarsoe
                          • May 2004

I think no matter what you do you will be severely limited by getting the esthetics to work plus not to say your tile back wall. The super hard reflective surface is not something anybody with knowledge of acoustics would recommend.
                          So what to do? Maybe find one or two old fpm's. the series that were created for flat screens. They have an acceptable sound and should be cheap to find.
                          Then spend the rest of the budget on your subwoofer so it can compensate for the lacking size of the rest of your speakers.

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Aarsoe, thanks for your feedback.
                            It's not an esthetic issue though. I can build a small stand to have the center speaker (like the picture below) placed inside, and the tv standing on top of it.
                            The issue is that I am limited to what I can do.
                            The tv has to be stable because of the earthquakes here. (The tv moves a lot during earthquakes).
                            I can't secure it to the wall because of the tile backdrop.
                            I can't modify the wall because it's not my house.
                            The tv rack is built into the wall so I can't modify that either.

It's a tricky setup to work with.

I already have a sub (left side of the picture). It's very capable in that room. I have it at 50% power.

I will look into the FPM center speaker. I use to own a set as rears.Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	863084

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Ok, let's solve two problems. Cwm8.3, build a box with the correct airspace, but deeper (ie two backs). Find a tv mount that attaches to the back or the box can sit on top of like attached pic. Either way, bolt/screw mount to box.

Earthquake now required to move TV+mount+box.

Kevin D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Universal-Tabletop-TV-Stand-with-Swiwel-and-Height-Adjustment.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	863085

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

Find a tv mount that attaches to the back or the box can sit on top of like attached pic. Either way, bolt/screw mount to box.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]27616[/ATTACH]
                                THAT is the problem. I actually have a tv mount like that. I had previously purchased it and used it from my last home. I can't use it though.
                                That tv rack is built into the wall. I can't move it. I can't screw it down to secure it to the wall or the tv rack.
                                That is why I am looking for a center channel that is not too big much timber matches the 804S.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

I was saying bolt it to the box you build for the in wall. Set the box, mount, tv combo on rubber feet on the TV rack.

Kevin

Comment

• audioqueso
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

I was saying bolt it to the box you build for the in wall. Set the box, mount, tv combo on rubber feet on the TV rack.

Kevin
                                    You mean to use the speaker box as the base, correct?
                                    Build the box for the speaker, and attach the tv mount to the box, correct?
                                    The speaker box would be used as the foundation for the tv mount.
                                    If the box does not outweigh the tv mount+tv together, it will be unstable.
                                    Is that what you meant?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

Correct, b&w back box is 12"x65"x3.5". Speaker is only 35" wide.

Build a box/stand big enough give you all the stability you need (hell add weights if needed), just add a secondary wall to give you the airspace needed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                        • May 2004

Have you considered taking the glass door off the piece of furniture you have your tv on and see if you can fit a center speaker in there? It is not ideal but may work well and also look nice.
                                        In regards to the earthquakes you could secure things with wire. If you have a piece of wire attached to the back of your tv and then to the back of your furniture then it cannot fall off the stand- only lean/fall against the wall.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"