X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taxiarhis
    • Jan 2017

About b&w 683s2 question for Amp

Hi.
    I have the amplifier <yamaha as-701... 2x100wrms in 8 Ohm>. The question is... is the powerful amplifier enough for this speakers?
    This speakers is in my budget and I want to buy for this.
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

I have 683S1's and have went through 3 different forms of amplification. Rotel:

RSX-1058 2x100 watts (surround receiver)

RB-1080 2x200 watts (stand alone amplifier)

RB-1090 2x385 watts (stand alone amplifier)

With each upgrade everything improved. I would get something as powerful as possible. B&W speakers love power. The RB-1090 effortlessly drives my 683's to ear splitting levels and it only gets moderately warm. The 1080 and the 1058 (while very good at normal levels) would eventually get to hot and shut down if I had it running very loud.

Power. Get as much as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Power. Get as much as you can.
      *insert Tim Taylor noises here*

Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• taxiarhis
        • Jan 2017

Thanks for your answers.
        I know that they want more power but for now I want to ride with the as-701 and if they have good results.
        Later I would do some upgrading possibly Rotel 1570 or Yamaha as-1100.
        The question is if it's okay now with no problem to the speakers and as-701

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by taxiarhis
          The question is if it's okay now with no problem to the speakers and as-701
          Sure. It is fine for now.
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• taxiarhis
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            Sure. It is fine for now.
            Thanks for your answer Kal...

I'm covered by the response of all of you ... thanks.

Comment

• taxiarhis
              • Jan 2017

Hello again after a few months.

Well, the as-701 does not have the power to drive the 683 s2. I want to upgrate the amplifier.

The speakers want a lot more power and that's why I want to buy the ra-1592 to get 100% of them. Is this speakers ok with that power ... 2x200 into 8ohm?

What is your opinion, going for ra-1592 οr something else?

I've read a lot of comments for Parasound, Hegel and some still but I think the rotel is above from them.

Sorry my bad English
              Last edited by taxiarhis; 31 August 2017, 06:29 Thursday.

Comment

• BWLover
                • Jan 2009

About b&amp;amp;w 683s2 question for Amp

I had a Rotel RSX-1058 (100 watts in 2 channel) then an RB-1080 (200 watts), and now an RB-1090 (385 watts). This is with B&W 683S1. 200 watts would be good, but I'd throw as much power as you can get at the speakers.

Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
                Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
                Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
                Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
                Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
                Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
                Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
                Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
                Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
                Playstation 3
                Shaw HD PVR
                Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• taxiarhis
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BWLover
                  I had a Rotel RSX-1058 (100 watts in 2 channel) then an RB-1080 (200 watts), and now an RB-1090 (385 watts). This is with B&W 683S1. 200 watts would be good, but I'd throw as much power as you can get at the speakers.

Hi BWLover...

Yes I believe the amplifier is fitting with the power it has for my speakers.
                  It's the upgrading I'll make soon without the wrong choice again.

200 watt i think is ok, RB-1090 yes ... it's a monster ... i'm jealous.

Comment

• Alaric
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

You'll notice the difference between your Yamaha and the Rotel. B&W speakers love current and the Rotel will provide. Enjoy!
                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                    Schiit Modi 3
                    Marantz CD5005
                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• taxiarhis
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Alaric
                      You'll notice the difference between your Yamaha and the Rotel. B&W speakers love current and the Rotel will provide. Enjoy!
                      Yes, the current is really what the speakers need ... that's missing from the yamaha.

After the purchase I will come back for impressions. tnx :T

Comment

• taxiarhis
                        • Jan 2017

Hello everyone, back again.

Now I've bought the Rotel but there's a problem with their sound.
                        The sound I have seems to me poor, without power, the bass sounds as if they are coming out in front of the speakers, medium / treble not enough.
                        As if you have set to - (minus) bass / treble. This is where I play cd / pc / bth / tv
                        The speakers I played with yamaha as-701 (100wrms) for one year very satisfying but... what I wanted it more !!!

Anyone knows where the problem let's help find a solution.

Well the system now is:

rotel rc-1572
                        rotel rb-1582 mk2
                        b&w 683 s2
                        cd teac
                        qed xt40 tube

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

What do you mean "the bass sounds as if they are coming out in front of the speakers"... as oppose to what??

Have you checked and double-checked all the basic things like speaker connections, phase inverted, the jumper between the high/low drivers, etc?
                          Does it sound this way with all sources? CD, pc, bth?, tv.. all of them have the same problem?
                          What Teac cd player do you have?
                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• taxiarhis
                            • Jan 2017

audioqueso tnx for your answer.

All basic things it's ok and the cd player is Teac cd 3 (it,s for upgrate). I thought of a speaker jumper on the speakers and pull out the metal. It will be better?

I do not know if I say it right or not. The loudspeakers first with the yamaha were playing more full with the bass/treble at 0 when the volume is 9-12-14 o'clock. Now with Rotel (4 times the value above) the bass on +1 and the treble +3 for bit better.

I called a technician in my house and told me the sound is flat with the measurements he made afterwards in the audio system.

I do not know if it's right in this audio system that bass / treble climb +1 or +2 or+3 ... to i have good sound

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Sorry for the late reply.

"I thought of a speaker jumper on the speakers and pull out the metal. It will be better?"
                              Do you know what that's for? If you are running one speaker cable (with one black/one red connector), then you NEED that jumper. You can replace the metal jumper with something else (like after market jumpers).
                              If you remove the jumper and not use double-run of cable, you will not be hearing either the tweeter or the lower frequency speakers.

What you are describing between the Yamaha and the Rotel does not seem like anything wrong.
                              Quite frankly, the technician telling you that it sounds flat... is probably accurate. Rotel make their products to be as transparent and flat as possible. That is the desired outcome from most Rotel customers. Hence why people buy Rotel.
                              Yamaha (not all products, but most) do adjust the freq curves for a more mainstream sound. Stronger bass and treble. Because the majority of their customers desire that "more fuller" sound. Audiophiles will tell you that a flat frequency range is actually the most accurate. Technically, that is true.
                              However, it may be that YOU like the sound of the Yamaha more.

Do you still have the Yamaha?
                              I suggest you try this.
                              See if the Yamaha has a "pure audio" type of mode that bypasses all processing (meaning no EQ adjustments, sound enhancements, etc).
                              Compare Yamaha's "pure audio" mode vs Rotel's "pure audio" mode. That should be the closet real comparison between the two.
                              With absolutely no adjustments (speaker distance, EQ, etc), what you would be hearing is how good the Yamaha's internal components + amplification section is versus Rotel's internal components + amplification section.

At that point, see if you hear the difference. See which one you like more.
                              Again, just from what you wrote, it doesn't really sound like something is wrong with the Rotel. It sounds like you may be use to the Yamaha sound and prefer that sound.

Comment

• taxiarhis
                                • Jan 2017

I've changed the speakers jumber and I think, I see a difference for the better.
                                You are right, Rotel makes their products as transparent and flat as possible. and with yamaha have a more common sound with stronger bass and treble.
                                After a lot of reviews I realized that it is really so right. This change of amplifiers is great with each other and I rather have been I had learned differently
                                All I need to upgrade quickly is the pre/end power cables and a good mains conditioners (Supra, GigaWatt...)
                                Some suggestion ??

The yamaha has been sold.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

That's a whole new other set of questions. lol
                                  You should probably read and do a search for those particular questions.
                                  You will probably find more answers compared to the number of replies you might receive to this thread.
                                  If you don't find what you're looking for, then start a new thread with that question.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"