X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capall
    • Mar 2014

speaker placement help

Hi all,
    I was hoping you could help me with speaker placement. I have just bought a pair of B&W 683's and set them up either side of my TV facing the couch, however they are a bit on the large side both physically and aesthetically (wrt to the room layout), although we may learn to live with them. They will be for 70% 2ch music, 30% TV, and possibly expanded to include 5.1 later TV later, most likely with in-wall rears, due to space requirements and it not being a dedicated HT room

However, with about half our time spent listening to music, in the kitchen/dining room area, I was wondering whether a different speaker location would be better. From my drawing, I was wondering if I should move them to either side of the patio door instead of either side of the TV. Granted I would really just be moving speaker 2, and rotating it directly towards the kitchen while also rotating speaker 1 also towards the kitchen. Both speakers being parallel to the walls. How strange will this feel when watching TV with the sound coming from the left.?..could we live with it?

Alternatively, in the future, I could get a pair of bookshelf's such as B&W 685's for the TV, and separate the TV sound from the music sound completely. Would that still work with in-wall rears as well?

thanks
    Derek

Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	871307
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

What is the problem with the sound at the moment? If it is too much bass, then try moving the speakers away from the wall and the couch away from the wall too if you can. Worked wonders in my room
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• capall
      • Mar 2014

not a bass issue,
      mostly from an aesthetic point of view, speaker 2 somewhat encroaches on the dining table, and partly sound is directed towards the couch when we would be in listening the kitchen/dining area

Comment

• Stoney
        • Dec 2004

How about swapping the TV and Couch position?
        Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
        Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
        B&W DM605 S2 Mains
        DM602 S2 Surrounds
        DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
        CC6 S2 Center.
        ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• capall
          • Mar 2014

no can do,

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

Why did you buy 683s if they are too big? 684s could have been better for where you have put them
            Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

A patio door is too reflective a surface to put speakers in front of. Having both speakers on the side wall (Door side) will produce a ridiculously wrong sound stage when watching TV or movies. Your original setup is best and you should have no problem hearing music while in the dining area. When dining, you are not critically listening to music anyway. Is there a female in the way of your current (Correct) setup??!!. Hehehe!!
              Dan Madden :T

Comment

• capall
                • Mar 2014

thanks guys
                TomScrut, ....wouldn't go so far as say impulse buy as I'd listened to them a couple of time in best buy, but found them on sale in a good store when researching Integrated Amps that I was hoping to buy in the next 3-6 months and had $k to spend. Got them for $1100

madmac...yes, your correct..the wife was suggesting they were possibly too big. I said, well they're speakers!
                yes, thought the right angle sound direction would be odd alright, good to hear from someone else. I'm SURE she'll come around to their SIZE.

thanks

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

Personally I would not sacrifice the prime seat on the couch and the speakers where there are just to bring more sound to the rest of the room. I think speaker placement 2 is a compromise for all since there is no sweet spot anymore.

I would keep them where they are. When you listen in the kitchen, it's more background music anyway.
                  Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                  Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"