X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Speaker Placement question

Ok, as you may have read before, I am planning for my new apartment in march. My fiance wanted to do the design of the rooms, so I gave it to her, but first I made her read a couple articles on home theater so she would understand why I need things in certain places. It ended up being a great exercise in compromise and we both get what we want out of it.

There is one issue, and that is the back wall, and the surround speakers. I will do my best to try and draw what it looks like:
    This side is open to the kitchen and dining room
    |
    |
    | <Back wall
    | <----15'4"------------>
    |
    --
    this|
    is a -----------------------
    shelf that cant be moved (permanent fixture)

Sorry, I filled to make it look right. Hope you guys understand.

Ok, Due to the need for space, the couch will be close to the back wall, but not entirely pushed against it, to allow for rear speakers. There will be a loveseat along the right wall, about 6 inches from the sliding glass door.

Now, the dilemma, if you havent figured it out already.

How to setup the surround speakers? If I put them along the back wall, and angle them in, I believe those on the couch will be fine, but what about those on the loveseat?

After speaking to my fiance about the CDMSNT's and the SCM1's, she prefers I get the SCM1's, because they are the ones I want, and she doesnt want me to regret not getting them, as it will be awhile before I buy new speakers again.

Here is an alternative I was thinking about:

I am highly on the fence about upgrading my 804's to 803's. Since this will be my last upgrade for some time, I think I might have a better long term enjoyment out of the 803's. The 804's are great though.

If I stuck with the 804's, I could potentially buy a second pair of SCM1's and attach them to the ceiling along both sides of the room, and put the other pair on the back wall. Now this would help with the seating positions that would be in front of the couch, but since the calibrated spot will be on the couch, will side speakers sound bad being about 6 inches in front instead of behind the listening position?

Or,

Should I upgrade my 804's to 803's and not worry about people's experience if they are sitting on the loveseat with the right rear a little obstructed, because it should still sound fine on the prime listening position (understood it is not optimal)?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

It's your system... optimize it for you, not your friends... who will likely not appreciate all the subtle nuances like you. Besides, the audience that hears it most often will be you and your fiance and not a whole group of people. That is my opinion.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Thanks for your opinion. I know I have 'flip-flopped' on what I want to do, and you guys are probably tired of it, but I appreciate different viewpoints.

Im curious, would it be a bad thing to put side speakers somewhere between 6 inches to a foot and half in front of you?
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Mitchell
        • Sep 2004

I have a printing /graphic arts company and whenever I have to buy equipment - computers/ presses etc. the inevitable question on where to draw the line and compromise comes up.
        I have alwas gone by the rule that suggests you buy what will work for you 80% of the time and either outsource or make do the other 20%.
        Very little in this world is perfect and can do it all.
        Unless money is no object buy what will work for you and your fiance on a daily basis.
        Mitchell

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"