X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhotoRobot
    • Feb 2005

B&W Setup Questions

My current setup is a pair of B&W 804S, HTM4 and for the rear a pair of beautiful 805D all in black.

In our new house the 805D's will not fit in the new room, so I am looking at selling them. Wondering what market value would be?

I am looking and installing CWM8.5 in wall speakers or CCM 8.5. Does anybody have any experience with this at all? Are these suitable replacements.

Also, I am thinking of getting rid of my Rotel RSP 1098 to a Marantz AV7701. Looking to drive multi-zones for in wall speakers of which I am looking at CI800 B&W along with the in wall subwoofer for the main level of the house.

Any insight or help on this project will be of appreciation.

Thank-you
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

Instead of in wall speakers would SCM1s or SCMSs work? Would probably sound better if you can find them? In the UK the 805s would be worth about 2250 GBP out of 3750 new price.
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• PhotoRobot
      • Feb 2005

Those SCM1s and SCMSs are pretty rare these days? They no longer make them. I also thought of making some custom brackets to hold the 805D's the problem is the room is very open and this would break that up. Nobody here has experimented with the ceiling installed speakers?

Regards

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

Yes they are rare. Shame really as they do their job well.
        Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• PhotoRobot
          • Feb 2005

I think audio in general may be at risk, replaced with bookshelf speakers and iAccessories. It's like a graveyard in here. No B&W people have installed ceiling speakers? Either professional or general audio?

Tom-> How is your Marantz AV8801, I am thinking of getting rid of my Rotel for this. How does it sound with your speakers?

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

Good, although I doubt it's abilities as a stereo pre it does sound good from HDMI etc. If audyssey is your thing then pro is definitely worthwhile

Comment

• PhotoRobot
              • Feb 2005

Interesting. I just don't see why you can't have it all. Are you saying your MR AV8801 is not a good stereo pre but more theatre based? You have an amazing amp. Your 803's are KA (canada talk for kick ass).

The marantz feature set is amazing, but the rotel power supply, simplistic clean audio productions is why I bought my RSP 1098, but it's ancient and I've still never felt my speakers sing! My local audio store says it is the pre-pro and is pushing me for the RSP-1572.

Not happy to go down the rotel path again, because, a) my B&W have yet to sing, b) Lots of problems with the pre-pro, replaced twice at least. c) Volume switch doesn't function.

However, still need to know whether to spend the $$ in the in-wall speakers and bass for our new house, or just look elsewhere.

Comment

• TomScrut
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Nov 2013

I use my majik ds straight into the unbalanced connections on the amp and it sounds loads better. I also used to have a Classe CP500 and it sounded better too. Long term I am going to buy a stereo pre with HT bypass and have the best of both worlds. But all in all I am happy with the performance of the marantz. I can't expect it to outperform a 3000gbp stereo pre or do a 1900gbp source justice considering what it costs (2500 gbp) and all the other stuff it has to do!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"