X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leo2498
    • Feb 2012

true terror history II

some time ago I read a history of terror of one member of this forum that his little child did damage to one of his tweeter, in that time I thought that is very difficult that could be happen if you have the grill over the tweeter all the time but sadly this weekend happened to me too, I don't know how did my nephew but he pushed his finger in my tweeter and sank the diaphragm, look how is looked below.

is very sadly that a tweeter have this final but I posted this because with very carefully I tried to pull back the dent with good result (phisically) but if you are wondering if they will sound the same this never will happen, although phisically they look almost good the final sound changed immediately in bad way, you can listen how the highs sound distorted, you can hear the plates in the drum ethereal and unreal, all instruments sounds like distorted noise, the only positive thing that I can learn about this experience is never left your speaker to reach of any children even a twelve years boy.

so if you are thinking that if your aluminum tweeter was damaged, it will look bad but will sound the same, not fool yourself and prepare to get one new right away because the sound will be affected, hugely.
    Attached Files
    Leo,
    Saludos
    My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Man, that's tough luck, but thanks for posting your experience.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

What a shame!
      A sad story.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• HedgeHog
        • Dec 2008

Ouch...sorry about the bad news. DIY inverted domes never sound good. At least it was the aluminum tweeter, which isn't that costly to replace. If it was your diamond tweeter, that would have been 10x the cost! ZOIKS!!!!
        Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
        Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
        B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
        Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Hopefully it won't be too expensive for you.

That's one of my fears as soon as or if I ever do have kids.... those diamond tweeters won't like that AT ALL.

I'm surprised though I damaged the tweeter on my old 600LCR center when I had my 600 series... and when I took it apart and smoothed the dome back out (pushed it from the back and made it smooth again) I noticed no real effects of the damage. Initially I thought I did and was about to order a new one (until I realized that I couldn't find a new one) and after sitting down and listening more, I realized that the speaker itself was a little off timbre wise and using some polyfil fixed that.

Hope you get it fixed and not too expensive!
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• leo2498
            • Feb 2012

thanks guys, well fortunately my diamond tweeters was in dedicated room and locked so they are safe for now, pewterta I thought that sound was not affected but sadly it is. I did the same, I disassembled the damaged tweeter and with a hyssop carefully smoothed it, but when I listening any input(cd, apple tv, bluray) it is a bad sound, if I put very close my ear to the damaged tweeter and compare this with the good one I can listen a huge hiss in the damaged one. I hope my dealer could give me a new one soon but he said that it will be not so fast because he need to wait for a bigger order, if I buy only the tweeter the shipping cost is more expensive that the tweeter itself.
            Leo,
            Saludos
            My HT: B&W 804D fronts, HTM4D center, 805D rears, Classe CA-2300 Main amp, Preamp Stereo CLASSE CP800, Preamp Multi Marantz AV8801, Parasound A31 center and Surround Amp, Source Oppo BDP-95 screen Samsung 55" UE55d8000 SVS SB12-NSD

Stereo: B&W 804S fronts, Pre: Denon AVR-2809 Amp: Rotel 1582, Source Marantz CD5004.

Comment

• stevek
              • Oct 2011

I feel your pain,i have cm5's set up in my kids little theater room and the 1st tweeter was hit about a year ago with similar damage to yours then last month another kid destroyed the other one.I didn't notice much difference with the first one but the second was terminal.I was able to get it pushed out and the sound is still good but not the same.I have been trying to sell them and the damage has cost me not only value but I haven't been able to get rid of them.To make it worse I am using them in my main room until I come up with the balance I owe on a set of 804's and they are not that fun to listen to.oh well

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

I put the fear of God into my daughter and her friends when she was young. The deal was that NO ONE touches the speakers or equipment or else!!. That worked. Plus, I always left the speaker grills on so there was nothing to see, 'poke', or prod.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by madmac
                  I put the fear of God into my daughter and her friends when she was young. The deal was that NO ONE touches the speakers or equipment or else!!. That worked. Plus, I always left the speaker grills on so there was nothing to see, 'poke', or prod.
                  Indeed it does. Likewise my son learned young and quick no touching. And as you say grills on (when not in use) helps keep the curiosity factor down.
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• leo2498
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    Indeed it does. Likewise my son learned young and quick no touching. And as you say grills on (when not in use) helps keep the curiosity factor down.
                    the funny thing is that my two years old son never have interest in any of my speakers, since he learned to walk I always teached him to not mess with them. BTW I always had the grill on the tweeter that is the unusual thing; how this kid could damaged in that way with the grill on?, my guess is that he removed it.
                    Leo,
                    Saludos

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by leo2498
                      the funny thing is that my two years old son never have interest in any of my speakers, since he learned to walk I always teached him to not mess with them. BTW I always had the grill on the tweeter that is the unusual thing; how this kid could damaged in that way with the grill on?, my guess is that he removed it.
                      Oh my !!! That little devil !! Hehehe!!

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by leo2498
                        Oh my !!! That little devil !! Hehehe!!

Comment

• sgtjim57
                          • Dec 2008

$144.80 (N804) when I bought mine to replace the dented tweeter as it was sold to me. Looked at the other one more closely and it has the lines that tell me it has been dented also so I may just replace that one also in the future. Easy to do.
                          Sony Bravia OLED A1E 55"
                          SVS SB 2000 X 2
                          Denon X4000 (Looking to upgrade due to 4K, ATMOS, DTSX)
                          Oppo BDP 93
                          Apple TV 4K
                          B & W N804 Mains
                          B & W 603 Rear surrounds
                          B & W LCR 600 Center
                          B & W CDS6 (Not in use)
                          Sony TA N77ES (Not in use)

Comment

• Grasynoll
                            • Mar 2006

Silver buttons!!!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"