X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

B&W 685 grilles on vs grilles off?

Do you use your B&W 685 with grilles on or off?

A few minutes ago,I have removed the grilles,I feel like the sound has become more clear but I am not sure and also it is a possibility that maybe I am just dreaming it.

Does removing the grills make a real difference?I remember that in an expert review,it was said that using B&W 685 with grilles on makes the sound a bit veiled.
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I believe that Speakers are designed to be used with their grills on. There will definitely be a difference in sound when you remove them. If you look at the 'ribs' on the inside on the grill, you will see that they are designed to 'disperse' the sound in a specific way for the drivers. Many people here seem to play theirs with the grills off and that is of course, a personal choice.

So long as you don't have little children around that will pop your speaker cones in or damage them, I would play them with the grills on and off and decide for yourself what sounds better. You will probably notice the sound to be 'clearer' on the treble side of things but at the end of the day, that treble could end up being too much since without the grills on, the treble will be more direct at the listener and less dispersed by the grills, which were designed into the speakers.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• stuofsci02
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by madmac
      I believe that Speakers are designed to be used with their grills on. There will definitely be a difference in sound when you remove them. If you look at the 'ribs' on the inside on the grill, you will see that they are designed to 'disperse' the sound in a specific way for the drivers. Many people here seem to play theirs with the grills off and that is of course, a personal choice.

So long as you don't have little children around that will pop your speaker cones in or damage them, I would play them with the grills on and off and decide for yourself what sounds better. You will probably notice the sound to be 'clearer' on the treble side of things but at the end of the day, that treble could end up being too much since without the grills on, the treble will be more direct at the listener and less dispersed by the grills, which were designed into the speakers.
      Yep .......... +1
      Main System:
      B&W 801D
      Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
      Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
      Oppo BDP-105
      Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
      B&W CM7
      Emotiva UMC-1
      Emotiva UPA-2
      Oppo BDP-83SE
      Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
        • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answers
        The universe arises from definitionless awareness.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

I go for speaker grills off, to me they seem to sound better that way...but it's probably all a placebo.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Most mid and high-end speakers are designed using a basic process.

First comes the establishment of the basic goals (two way, three way, bookshelf, monitor, tower, etc.) and the price point. Then the design is created, analyzed and revised via mathematical simulation. Then physical prototypes are constructed and measured. Once the basic design is chosen, the last step is what is referred to as voicing. This is when the engineers and designers sit and listen to the speaker. Minor changes to things like crossover components and values, and construction materials are analyzed and tweaked. At this time in the development process the speaker’s performance and ‘house sound’ are judge by the ears of the design group typically without the grills.

There are exceptions, as always. And your room will always have an effect.

As Madmac stated, try both options. Let your own ears decide.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

When one wants to remove the grills , it's usually so one can stare at ones speakers and feel good about ownership. Yeah we all do it as most speakers look so much better with grills off then on (IMO anyway).

As far as better sound quality , it's so small if any in most cases even in the 685's are concerned. But most will claim better sound results off then on. I for one much prefer grills off as I fully enjoy looking at the beautiful drivers. Even if it's not a measurable difference , I feel better listening so it must be better .

I like grills on for protection only. If I was the only one in my house my grills would never be on.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Most of the ladies in our lives would prefer you left the grills on!!! Just sayin'!!! :lol:

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Most of the ladies in our lives would prefer you left the grills on!!! Just sayin'!!! :lol:
                  ...And this is what's wrong with women. :rofl:
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Sigh!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

If they could just see it through our eyes.....

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Most women prefer to NOT see audio components at all!!. That's why mankind invented the dreaded "Wall unit" and other such horrible storage cases !!!!. I've helped many people to hook up and adjust their audio gear and I absolutely hate those damn things!!. As a matter of fact, I now refuse to do audio installations for people that use wall units.

That's one of the reasons that the new 'Ikea audio' concept will likely be very popular!!. Hehehe!!!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"