X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigmoney
    • Jun 2008

685 or cm1

Hello, I am a college student with a limited budget. I am trying to decide whther to get the 65 or the cm1 which is 300 bucks more. I am loking for the speaker with less treble harshness, more refined, and true to the source. I am not sure I can spring for a subwoofer at the moment, so I am worried he cm1 cant keep up in the lower frequencies with the 685. If it helps, I will be driving the speaker I choose with a audio reifinement integrated amp which only has 50 watts of power, although I must say it is pure, clean, beefy power. The cdp I use is a marantz dv7600 universal player, and I have blue jeans audio interconnects. I will demo both speakers in store, so please dont respond with jsut telling me to listen. I understand my preferences and ears will dictate my decision but I would just like to know what you all have found to be different between the two speakers. I also worry the cm1, at 84db sensitivity, cannot be properly driven by my 50 watt amp. What I am looking for in the speaker I choose, is the more refined, hifi, less treble harshness, and most musical rather than analytical speaker. Has anyone compared the two, and if so which would you choose for a strickly 2 channel hifi set up?
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hallo,

I will be say CM1, but if the budget is important the 685 will be great!

The ampli power don't make so much different but the CM1 will be shure better.

In the future (wenn you have your study termined ops: ) another CM7 for front and a center make a good setup in 5.1

Omar

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

This is a hard one. When I was auditioning the two of them, I first powered them with the Rotel 1062 amp, which has 60wpc. In this setup, I actually liked the 685 much better than the CM1. The CM1 really sounded lacking in dynamics and without life. But then the dealer replaced the amp with a Cambridge Audio 840, then a Rotel Rb-1080 , and subsequently a Krell 400xi. On those three different setups, the CM1 sounded much more capable, more open, and with much better details than the 685 was.

I think it boils down to whether and how soon you might consider upgrading your amp. If the answer is never or more than three years from now, then I would go for the 685. They are awesome speakers and will give you endless hours of joy during your college years.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"