X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cruxis
    • Feb 2007

Another comparison

Hi guys,
    In sticking with the recent theme, I'm strongly considering upgrading from the 803D to the 802Di or comparable speakers in that price range. (Wilson Sophia 3 and Vandersteen 5A). While I really love the 803D's, I knew when I bought them , that there was 1 more signpost up ahead that pointed to one more final upgrade in the speaker department. Age and finances has its limits..sigh. Anyway, while I will obviously demo these speakers in the near future, I just wanted to get some feedback from those that have made that leap or have auditioned the 802's. What I really would like to know is, for those that have an informed opinion, is it a significant upgrade, or not so much. Some background: I have a smallish listening room, but it opens up to two other rooms. I listen to 100% 2 channel music. In current setup there is 76 inches separation between speakers and I sit about 91 inches
    from them. Plenty of power with 500w bel canto monoblocks. Really value your guys opinions, thanks.
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

They are all very good speakers. I had the 802di's and I thought they were great.

Things to note: They do take time to break in. 3 months or so. I think they sounded muchbetter at home than at the dealers place. Other owners thought so too. So get a home audition.

Also, as finances are limited (and when arent they), consider where in the world you are. Here in Denmark, a pair of Wilson Sophia 3 costs the same as a pair of 800di's. Ie. pricewise they are not competitors with the 802s at all due to import taxes. In your country the reverse situation might be the case.
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Cruxis
      • Feb 2007

Thank you for your thoughts, Sky. I live in the U.S. so pricewise they're in the same ballpark albeit more expensive. As far as the home audition, that would be ideal if its possible. I love the B&W sound so I'm already leaning that way, but I figure it would be kind of foolish not to at least compare a couple other brands, especially at this price point. The Vandersteens are intriguing to me because they can be upgraded. Uh-oh, did I just use that word?

Comment

• Antus
        • Apr 2008

u will definately hear a difference between 803D and 802Di. on 802D or Di, the speaker seems disappear from the room. on 803D, u will still feel the sound are from the speaker more or less. 802 will sound more effortless and relexing.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"