X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thxthx
    • Nov 2011

McIntosh MX121

Hi guys... Am I too early to ask or has anyone had any experience with the new McIntosh MX121 processor? Other than the room correction, is it very different to the MX150 for general home theatre use?
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I have an MX-121 on order, to replace my current MX-120.

The MX-121 has not shipped yet, but should shortly (I talked to McIntosh today).

So I don't think there will be real world experience until they arrive and are installed.

As for differences between the MX-150 and the MX-121 for HT use, you've hit on the the biggest difference. Room Perfect in the 150 and Audyssey on the 121.

However, both do the HD Audio formats, via HDMI. So all current formats are covered.

One thing to note about the 121 is that it has unbalanced pre-outs for an 11.2 system.

The main differences are on the feature set of the MX-121. It does internet radio (Pandora is standard), Airplay, and can interfact with the the standard Apple products.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• thxthx
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by htsteve
      I have an MX-121 on order, to replace my current MX-120.

The MX-121 has not shipped yet, but should shortly (I talked to McIntosh today).

So I don't think there will be real world experience until they arrive and are installed.

As for differences between the MX-150 and the MX-121 for HT use, you've hit on the the biggest difference. Room Perfect in the 150 and Audyssey on the 121.

However, both do the HD Audio formats, via HDMI. So all current formats are covered.

One thing to note about the 121 is that it has unbalanced pre-outs for an 11.2 system.

The main differences are on the feature set of the MX-121. It does internet radio (Pandora is standard), Airplay, and can interfact with the the standard Apple products.

Hope this helps.
      Thanks... I look forward to some reviews from you guys once it ships. I had to sell my MX135 and replaced it with the Anthem 50v which is terrible. Can't wait to get McIntosh back but couldn't afford the MX150!

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I recieved confirmation from McIntosh that all licensing issues are complete and the units will begin shipping within a week or so.

I would expect the 121 to be a pretty nice jump from even the 135 that you had. The chips are brand new, room correction, plus modern multimedia, etc.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

My MX-121 is at my dealer. install is next Tuesday. I'll post impressions of it after that.

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

Nice curious what your feedback is on this unit! I just bought a new left over MC402 at Audioclassics and looking for a preamp/processor.
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

My MX-121 was set up yesterday. Some very quick impressions are below.
              I'll be giving it a more thorough workout today, and over the next few days.

Some items to remember. Previous pre-amp was the MX120. It did not decode the HD audio formats on BR. My BR player (Denon 4010) did that.

* The HT is definitely better in two ways. First, the onboard HD audio decoding was noticeably nicer that the the BR decoding.

* Secondly, the Audyssey worked nicely in my room. Most notably, the bass integration is better. A very integrated sound is presented. More in the middle of the action.

* The Audyssey can be turned off. You can also choose Audyssey flat, or even bypass Front L/R. Several flavors.

* The internet radio and Pandora work very nicely.

* Airplay worked quite well. My installer whipped out his iPhone, I logged him into my NW, and we could select the MX-121. Still need to test that iTunes on a PC works.

Initial impression is that this is a pretty nice jump from the MX-120. A modern, full featured processor.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• thxthx
                • Nov 2011

Thanks Steve... Just have to get rid of my Anthem AVM 50v and I'll be all over the MX121. The Anthem is a huge disappointment. Let us know more about the MX121 as you keep playing with it.

Comment

• cyisone01
                  • Feb 2012

Mx121

Well it has been months since you purchased the MX121. How do you like it. I currently have a denon receiver and I am considering the jump to the 121. I am not only hopeful for better HT but am curious on how the system sounds musically. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"