X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Acoustics

I have moved into a new apartment. My stereo is still in storage in another city.

My new apartment is a concrete building so...

My living room is carpeted over a concrete floor. And the walls are textured drywall over concrete.

What effects do you think the concrete floor/wall/ceiling will have on my rig?
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

My apartment, too, is reinforced concrete and I predict you will have very well defined primary room modes due to the rigid boundaries. You will need lots of bass trapping as well as the other usual recommendations.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• azazel
      • Dec 2010

My listening room is the opposite. I have soft walls, ceiling and floors. I have rather a dead sound and its surprising how quiet my system sounds. You can hear very low level details, almost annoyingly so, but on the upside it’s very tuneful and not harsh to the ear. It’s very directional though. I plan to add some hard surfaces to the ceilings and walls to experiment. I thought it easier to make a dead room and add ambience than deaden a lively room.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Those leather sofas should add some zip. ;-)

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
          • May 2005

Speaking of leather sofas Kal......I just replaced my fabric sofas with a big heavy 8 foot leather sofa and 2 leather chairs and I have noticed quite a difference in the acoustics of the room. With the 18 foot ceilings and big room, I have found the music from my 804's a little thin but with these new leather sofa's the highs definitely seem to be tamed and not so bright. The sofas also must be absorbing more of the sound because I have to turn the volume louder now to get the same volume from the speakers.....
          Attached Files
          Last edited by SPACEMANRICK; 15 February 2011, 02:20 Tuesday.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
            Speaking of leather sofas Kal......I just replaced my fabric sofas with a big heavy 8 foot leather sofa and 2 leather chairs and I have noticed quite a difference in the acoustics of the room. With the 18 foot ceilings and big room, I have found the music from my 804's a little thin but with these new leather sofa's the highs definitely seem to be tamed and not so bright. The sofas also must be absorbing more of the sound because I have to turn the volume louder now to get the same volume from the speakers.....
            That runs counter to expectations. Fabric upholstery will absorb more high frequencies which would be reflected by the leather. Consequently, one would expect such a change as you have made to result in a brighter sound.

There are, of course, other factors including the additional chair between the speakers and some changes behind it. Surprising, nonetheless.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• BWLover
              • Jan 2009

I'll upload pictures of the walls
              Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
              Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
              Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
              Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
              Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
              Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
              Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
              Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
              Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
              Playstation 3
              Shaw HD PVR
              Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

Oh you guys are so silly... acoustics don't mean much of anything... a room is a room. :lol:

Seriously, good luck in your new listening room. I just moved my system into a new room I just remodeled over the past month and I'm still in a state of shock and awe at how many steps backwards I did in the sound quality department. I kissed my precious headphone level detail and clarity goodbye and if it wasn't for movie watching, I would just give it all up and go back to 100% headphone listening where you're free of all this BS, hehe.

I was going to order ATS panels but I lack so much confidence in my acoustic skills and this room at this point I've totally shied away from potentially wasting my money on the panels. Even after watching all of Ethan Winer's acoustic videos I still feel somewhat clueless.... Yea they gave me a lot of insight, but, every room is different and those videos won't tell you exactly what to do in your own room and I'm afraid I might make it even worse than better...

Headphones... You just can't beat the simplicity of getting true hi-fi without the rigmarole of room setup not to mention it's exponentially cheaper. :

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
                  I was going to order ATS panels but I lack so much confidence in my acoustic skills and this room at this point I've totally shied away from potentially wasting my money on the panels. Even after watching all of Ethan Winer's acoustic videos I still feel somewhat clueless.... Yea they gave me a lot of insight, but, every room is different and those videos won't tell you exactly what to do in your own room and I'm afraid I might make it even worse than better...
                  So use him. Ethan will advise you about exactly what to use and where to put it if you email him with all the details and your goals.

And, just to be fair, so will many of his competitors. You don't have to go it alone.
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

That's right a lot of good free advice when t come to room design and acoustics and you don't have to sell your first born to hire a design firm

Once all is done get some one to calibrate the system :T
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      That runs counter to expectations. Fabric upholstery will absorb more high frequencies which would be reflected by the leather. Consequently, one would expect such a change as you have made to result in a brighter sound.

There are, of course, other factors including the additional chair between the speakers and some changes behind it. Surprising, nonetheless.
                      Kal I kind of expected more reflection also with the leather.

I had read on a website that leather has a sound absorption rate of 50%, cloth fabric of 70%, and carpet on a pad of 55% (the higher the number the less sound is reflected....hardwood floor for example is 8% and concrete floor is 1%). My guess is the new leather couch is much larger than the last couch and also as you have alluded to, the new leather chair between the speakers.

Interesting how the sound can be affected so much by the furniture placement and composition of the materials. When we first moved in to our house the floor had no carpet and the room was too bright with my 804'S. The carpet made a huge difference :T

Comment

• BassThatHz
                        • Jul 2006

I recommend you focus on treating the areas between the speakers and the listening positions first (mid points), corners second, rear wall third and everything else last.

If you have an external microphone you can measure the acoustics with REW 5.0

My room is 3900 cubic feet / 1700 square feet of surface area...
                        and it took 64 cubic feet / 112 square feet of material.
                        Roughly 2% of the total air volume. (I'd almost recommend 40% more than that.)

It wasn't until I got above 0.5%/0.9% that I began to hear any significant difference from untreated.

Don't expect to treat frequencies below 200hz, short of anechoic it just ain't happenin'. (Everything above 200hz is fair game.)

Comment

• emig5m
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                          If you have an external microphone you can measure the acoustics with REW 5.0
                          Do you do your measuring with absolutely no EQ'ing (i.e. Audyssey for example) in direct mode? Will any MIC work? Would even the Audyssey MIC from an AVR work? Can you also measure using Audysseys results just for comparisons sake? Honestly, I like Audyssey for movies, but not so much for music.... I thought Yamaha's YPAO sounded much better than Audyssey for music. But I'm getting side-tracked here... I'm definitely interested in doing some proper measurements before tackling room treatments. I'm not looking for flat down to 11hz per-se, but optimize what my system should be capable of.

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                          So use him. Ethan will advise you about exactly what to use and where to put it if you email him with all the details and your goals.

And, just to be fair, so will many of his competitors. You don't have to go it alone.
                          Unfortunately I'm laid off work until march/april so RealTraps prices is out of the question right now. I would use them if I could just out of principle that they're videos are so informative.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"