X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garrison
    • Oct 2010

800 series pairing with what sub & system

Well I have been doing a lot of research over the past week as I revamp my system. New processor, amp, 2 subs so far. I just purchased 2 JL audio gothams yesterday to go along with what I have.

Thought I would list everything to get some feed back on what everyone thinks. Everything is supposed to be installed next week and I'm stoked!

I have 803D's and HTM2D up front, 4 805S on side and rear, and now 2 huge JL audio gotham subs.

I have just purchased the new SSP-800 HDMI 1.4 and CA-5300 to run front 5, I have an existing CA-5100 I am going to bi-wire to the rear. I purchase a shunyate python power conditioner, and a new creston programmer to operate everything.

Money willing I'm going to upgrade my existing speakers to the DI series B&W in the next few months to 802DI, HTM2DI. not sure if it's necessary to upgrade the 805S side and rears to the DI series. Can I get some thoughts from everyone if that might be overkill?....

I would be interested in hearing from everyone/anyone what they think about this set up and if I made the right decision on the 2 JL audio gotham subs? :T
  • HedgeHog
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garrison
    ... I just purchased 2 JL audio gothams yesterday to go along with what I have...
    WOW...am I ever envious! Congrats and pics when you get them. I run a single Fathom 113 and it's a really good blend with the 802D. If your space is big enough, the G213 is going to be quite impressive.

-H
    Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
    Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
    B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
    Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
    Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by HedgeHog
      WOW...am I ever envious! Congrats and pics when you get them. I run a single Fathom 113 and it's a really good blend with the 802D. If your space is big enough, the G213 is going to be quite impressive. -H
      Yes the second F113 really makes the bass more uniform in large rooms :T
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• garrison
        • Oct 2010

well my room is narrow and long 11' X 31". So I'm going to try and separate the subs one in the front and one in the rear. It's a dedicated room but only 330 square feet. The two subs should move plenty of air! I just hope they sound great with the 803D's

Comment

• garrison
          • Oct 2010

Hedge, I'm jealous because I want the 802D's.. made a mistake for not stepping up into them when I bought the 803D's

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

well my room is narrow and long 11' X 31". So I'm going to try and separate the subs one in the front and one in the rear. It's a dedicated room but only 330 square feet. The two subs should move plenty of air! I just hope they sound great with the 803D's
            I have a room that is similar in shape and size, and after much trial and error, I ended up placing a sub next to each of my 803Ds. The problem is that we are not sitting that far from the system (it's in the middle of the long wall), and you can localize the bass too easily with just one sub in front.

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Hedge, I'm jealous because I want the 802D's.. made a mistake for not stepping up into them when I bought the 803D's
              The 803Ds actually sound better in our large rooms than the 802Ds. I tried them both and stayed with the 803Ds with the dual subs.

Comment

• garrison
                • Oct 2010

Well these JL audio subs are supposed to be great. If it's to much for my room I can always dial it down. It's good to know if you want more bass it's there for the taking....

that's interesting on the 803's sounding better in certain circumstances...Hadn't thought about that. I haven't had the 802DI's at the house. Maybe prior to upgrading to these I should have the store I'm dealing with bring them in for a demo. As much as I've spent recently.... I would hope they would do that if I'm considering the upgrade???? You never know.....

Comment

• boarder1995
                  • Sep 2009

Having two subs works well when they're both up front near the mains. First, you'll gain a little more headroom in overall output, but mostly smoother overall room response. Multiple subs also allows a higher crossover if you wish for movies to give a much greater impact than the towers can give. I'm running my mains full range, but also allow my subs to play up to ~120Hz. Nothing against the 803D's 3x7" drivers, but they won't compete with a properly placed pair of 13" (or whatever) single purpose drivers. This also allows better placement of the mains for greater depth and imaging, versus also trying to optimize mains' placement for bass too.

I'm personally running SVS's Ultras with my setup but would like to try SVS's new sealed 16" sub or a JL at some point. I'm happy with how things blend for now though. I'm likely more interested in trying 802D in my setting, but the more traditional narrower 803D does benefit from a smaller footprint thus more placement options in my setting. I first considered the 802D, but at the shop they had them bi-amped with Classe and to me it was horrible, versus the 803D running off a McIntosh. That made me turned off of the 802D from then on. Now I've got the 803D and in the store the 802D are now on the Mac - they sound glorious too! I was amazed at the significant difference it made. Even my wife originally was totally turned off, but now admits they sound good (the 802D). Regardless, I'm also very happy with the 803D at home...must resist the urge to upgrade.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                    • Oct 2007

Have you considered bi-amping l&r off the new 5300 plus 5th channel for centre then use the 5100 for the 4x 805 speakers as alternative to your plan?

Eloise

Comment

• garrison
                      • Oct 2010

Eloise,

First thanks for mentioning something I haven't even considered concerning hooking up my two different amps!

I wonder pushing different power into the L and R (i.e, 600 watts each) compared to the center (300 watts) would do during movies. In addition, the front three would have so much more power running to them compared to only 100 watts a channel into the 4 805's might be a significant difference... It's a good thought and maybe I should try it each way and compare? Does anyone else have thought on this?

I just posted the question on the classe site to get some feedback. It should be interesting to hear everyones opinions...
                      Last edited by garrison; 25 October 2010, 00:57 Monday.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Well I have been doing a lot of research over the past week as I revamp my system. New processor, amp, 2 subs so far. I just purchased 2 JL audio gothams yesterday to go along with what I have.

Thought I would list everything to get some feed back on what everyone thinks. Everything is supposed to be installed next week and I'm stoked!

I have 803D's and HTM2D up front, 4 805S on side and rear, and now 2 huge JL audio gotham subs.

I have just purchased the new SSP-800 HDMI 1.4 and CA-5300 to run front 5, I have an existing CA-5100 I am going to bi-wire to the rear. I purchase a shunyate python power conditioner, and a new creston programmer to operate everything.

Money willing I'm going to upgrade my existing speakers to the DI series B&W in the next few months to 802DI, HTM2DI. not sure if it's necessary to upgrade the 805S side and rears to the DI series. Can I get some thoughts from everyone if that might be overkill?....

I would be interested in hearing from everyone/anyone what they think about this set up and if I made the right decision on the 2 JL audio gotham subs? :T
                        NICE 802D all the way in 5.2 :B
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"