X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

A stupid question regarding 802D

A metal disc on the back of the speaker which says "Remove before use. Replace disc for transportation". Does it have it be removed, if yes why and how does it affect the sound? A manual says absolutely nothing about it.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

It secures the middle section of the FST for shipping. It restricts movement and damage during shipping!
    Yes, you should remove it, B&W say so.

- Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Antonkk
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mjb
      It secures the middle section of the FST for shipping. It restricts movement and damage during shipping!
      Yes, you should remove it, B&W say so.

Should it stay open? A friend told me he screwed in the plastic bullet that came on the midrange driver and was then replaced by a metal one.

Comment

• windshear
        • Dec 2004

You are mixing up the bullet, in the front of the speaker with the transportation screw at the back of the midrange drive. As mentioned the screw in the back is for transportation. Not the large screw, but the plastic or aluminium cover with screw, that screws into the large tension bolt. It must be removed for normal usage.

The bullets in the front come in two varieties. The plastic one with a hole in it, if you want to use the grills and the solid version with no hole for grill less listening.

Comment

• Antonkk
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by windshear
          You are mixing up the bullet, in the front of the speaker with the transportation screw at the back of the midrange drive. As mentioned the screw in the back is for transportation. Not the large screw, but the plastic or aluminium cover with screw, that screws into the large tension bolt. It must be removed for normal usage.

The bullets in the front come in two varieties. The plastic one with a hole in it, if you want to use the grills and the solid version with no hole for grill less listening.
          So the normal variant is to let the back stay open after removing the small screw? Can you please post a picture of the way it should be?

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

- Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi Mike,

the new B&W serie (from the 804D and go up) have this "remove disc.."

that was not present in the "old2 serie".....

and other Great pictures:

the piano black have a "fashion" very impresive, the "wood colors", from Cherry to Rosenut is very good too .
              I think that the wood speaker/colors is also very beautiful :T and it's less delicate (black!)

A small scratch on the black can be seen immediately! -> wood is wood!!!!

!! scratches created by the rubbing cloth on the chest, small circular marks that are created very easily (not damage / scratches deep..)

Style

Comment

• sg2
                • Sep 2006

Hi,

The 80xD series also had exactly the same disc/paper.

Regards,
                --
                Stéphane
                Regards,
                --
                Stéphane

Comment

• iabyss
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mjb
                  Hi,

Just curious, would loosen or tightening the "big screw" affect the sound?
                  I
                  have noticed the "big screw" on my 804s are not of equal angle. Wonder if it apply to all.

cheers

Comment

• Relentless
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by iabyss
                    Hi,

Just curious, would loosen or tightening the "big screw" affect the sound?
                    I
                    have noticed the "big screw" on my 804s are not of equal angle. Wonder if it apply to all.

cheers
                    The "big screw" should be hand tight, they will not be all the same angle. Generally you should not mess with it unless it appears to be loose.
                    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                    Lou

Comment

• PavelL
                      • Sep 2005

I'm curious if I'm the only one who actually keeps the center plastic plug in the back of the speaker?!? It fits just fine with the aluminum disc in place.

Last edited by PavelL; 30 April 2010, 15:06 Friday.

Comment

• iabyss
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Relentless
                        The "big screw" should be hand tight, they will not be all the same angle. Generally you should not mess with it unless it appears to be loose.
                        Thanks for explanation.

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

Hallo iabyss,

on the 804,803... the "big screw" is only a protection.....

you can also remove large screw this ... has no influence on the sound.

below the large screw there lives a little more and this is important.

This should not be touched!

style

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                            and other Great pictures:

Style
                            Omar,

Nice shot of the 802D next to the 803D. I never saw a picture of them that close to one another. Now I can see why our 803Ds sound so good! :T

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by style

A small scratch on the black can be seen immediately! -> wood is wood!!!!

!! scratches created by the rubbing cloth on the chest, small circular marks that are created very easily (not damage / scratches deep..)

Style
                              You wont scratch the gloss finish if you use high quality automotive microfiber rags with a nice lubricative automotive quick detailer spray. If you do happen to get some fine scratching in the finish, Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 will take any light swirls from improper cleaning out with almost no effort..... I had to do this to the gloss finish on my Sunfire Signature EQ as the previous owner obviously was using paper towels to clean it and the finish was swirled up very badly (now it looks picture perfect after my care...)

It's all in the proper cleaning technique.... And even if you do get swirl marks in the finish, it's super easy to correct using the proper product...

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Hi Brooks,

yep, the 2 jewels side by side is a great picture.
                                the 80xDi in wood color is not so nice like the black.

Brooks I go replace the 803d with the 803d new?! :W well is not so a bad idea...if you can have a good price I can think serius over this option... :T
                                I love the rosenut but this new black is very special.

@emig5m: I agree at 50%. a sub is not so "manipulatet" like a speaker.
                                I can see the pictures ..

here this new 805D have a litle scratch...Ok, ok I very ossessiv but with a Rosenut or cherry will be not so ...

Style

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

Sorry,

Brook I had listen the 802 and the 803d.
                                  the 802 are powerfull but in the bass fq. the 803D with the 3 woofer is more
                                  "agressiv" vs. the 802d!
                                  with te 803D must be place and very good controlled.
                                  I don't know if pay make a mdf speaker support for have more controll with the 803d lf.
                                  I have see (but i dont remenber where) a box support, not expensive that can be a good solution.
                                  (in the forum was a thread from member with a new Htm2D but was not happy for the sound not clear and this support was ofert like solution..)

do you know what for products was?

You have you 803d with spyke or what?

Style

Comment

• kking168
                                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by emig5m
                                    You wont scratch the gloss finish if you use high quality automotive microfiber rags with a nice lubricative automotive quick detailer spray. If you do happen to get some fine scratching in the finish, Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 will take any light swirls from improper cleaning out with almost no effort..... I had to do this to the gloss finish on my Sunfire Signature EQ as the previous owner obviously was using paper towels to clean it and the finish was swirled up very badly (now it looks picture perfect after my care...)

It's all in the proper cleaning technique.... And even if you do get swirl marks in the finish, it's super easy to correct using the proper product...
                                    The glossy tweeter housing on my 803Ds are lightly scratched from cleaning using microfiber without a lubricant. Would Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 really work well in removing the scratches?

Comment

• emig5m
                                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kking168
                                      The glossy tweeter housing on my 803Ds are lightly scratched from cleaning using microfiber without a lubricant. Would Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 really work well in removing the scratches?
                                      What type of finish is it? Paint? If so, the answer is yes... Different paints can have different hardness so your mileage may vary on ease of use (might have to do a couple passes).

Comment

• kking168
                                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by emig5m
                                        What type of finish is it? Paint? If so, the answer is yes... Different paints can have different hardness so your mileage may vary on ease of use (might have to do a couple passes).
                                        There's only one type of finish. Glossy black. Is that just paint? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"