How do you process the Stereo .1 subwoofer channel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brunsje
    • Jan 2009

How do you process the Stereo .1 subwoofer channel?

I have noted several threads about subwoofers with 802D and other B&W speakers.

How do you integrate the subwoofer output for music that is not 5.1 / 7.1?

Neo:6, PL II Music modes, Passive Xovers, etc

Your opinions would be appreciated as I have two F112 subwoofers that I am trying to integrate into my Bryston SP2 PrePro and B&W 802D / HTM2D and Rears.

Thanks
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

I never use any of those modes but I do use bass management with the 802Ds. In my room, I usually use bass management with a crossover at 40Hz but with only one sub.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• MikeFL52
      • Oct 2007

For stereo music I also do not use any "modes" but do play back in 2.1 using ARC room equalization and my Anthem D1 which directs low frequencies to the subs (two but not in stereo configuration). I have 803Ds not 802Ds. To redirect stereo information to the sub(s) you will have to set your mains to small to do it properly or use room eq. systems such as ARC or Audyssey which is really also setting speakers as small and redirecting bass. Also to get 2.1 out of a 2 channel signal you will very probably have to go through ADC->DSP->DAC which some (not me) are dead against.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

So, Brunsje, we need to know more about the rest of your system to offer help.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
          I never use any of those modes but I do use bass management with the 802Ds. In my room, I usually use bass management with a crossover at 40Hz but with only one sub.
          When are you getting 802Di for review?
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
            Cannot say. The listening room in my NYC apartment is currently in disarray as we are remodeling the den and storing the stuff in it. I expect that, in a few weeks, we will return to normal (chaos) and will probably get the 800Di first with the 802Di to follow.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

This has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• emig5m
                • Aug 2008

I set my speakers in the processor to small and then select the desired crossover for the sub (after painstakingly level matching and eq'ing). I agree with those above who said they don't use the fake surround modes (Neo:6 for example) as those sound so unnatural and gimmicky - I tried them all and they're all horrendous. The only sound processing I ever use is Yamaha's compressed music enhancer. It works real well for crappier recordings with no dynamics, bass, or good treble. It gives some life to them and makes them listenable (just never think about using it for a good recording as it will just make audible distortion). But that has nothing to do with the processing stereo .1 sub channel - just the only time I ever use a processing mode.

Comment

• ssabripo
                  • Dec 2005

mine is a little bit more complicated, but well worth the headach

look at the bottom portion of this schematic:

when listening to 2channel music I have the signal going thru the Pass Labs Pre X2.5...but notice also that I have the signal also going to the Pre/Pro, which handles all the bass via a very robuts bass management (pre/pro BM + DEQ2496 for EQ and Low end boost). Speakers are set as full range, so the mains get the entire kaboodle from the Pre side.

Thus, from the pre/pro, they are crossed at 40hz in music mode, and the signal above is discarded in the Pass Labs, at it is only analyzing the correct input for itself. Therefore, the mains get all the goodness of the high resolution transport + DAC + Pre X2.5, going directly to the Pass Labs Monoblocks, and the subs get their signal from teh Pre/pro

Nirvana my friend!

you have to hear it to really understand how great it sounds.
                  My simple HT setup
                  4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by ssabripo
                    mine is a little bit more complicated, but well worth the headach look at the bottom portion of this schematic:

when listening to 2channel music I have the signal going thru the Pass Labs Pre X2.5...but notice also that I have the signal also going to the Pre/Pro, which handles all the bass via a very robuts bass management (pre/pro BM + DEQ2496 for EQ and Low end boost). Speakers are set as full range, so the mains get the entire kaboodle from the Pre side.

Thus, from the pre/pro, they are crossed at 40hz in music mode, and the signal above is discarded in the Pass Labs, at it is only analyzing the correct input for itself. Therefore, the mains get all the goodness of the high resolution transport + DAC + Pre X2.5, going directly to the Pass Labs Monoblocks, and the subs get their signal from teh Pre/pro

Nirvana my friend! you have to hear it to really understand how great it sounds.
                    Love what you did how where you able to do these drawing like that?

Have you tried this method?
                    Attached Files
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ssabripo
                      • Dec 2005

Love what you did how where you able to do these drawing like that?
                      microsoft visio
                      My simple HT setup
                      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"