X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleddogg
    • Mar 2008

Zeppelin problem

Well I've had my Zeppelin for just about 2 years now and it has been flawless up until this last week when I upgraded to an Ipod Touch 64 Gig. A couple of times last week when I docked the new Ipod, I got a flashing red light. I overcame this by turning on the Zeppelin before docking the Ipod. Only happened twice and hasn't happened since then. Today when I docked the new Ipod I got a background hum/buzz that goes away only when I either disconnect the Ipod or turn off the Zeppelin. As soon as I play a song, the buzz returns.

It seems to come from either the HF or MF drivers or both but mostly seems to come from the HF. I have discovered that I can slightly lift the right corner away from the 30 pin connector and make it stop while maintaining playback, however the charging capability is lost when I do this. When I connect my original Ipod nano, same symtoms... It has to go in for service I feel. I hope I am within warranty, can't remember exactly when I got it. Have to call Apple store online for a copy of my invoice. Don't remember if I registered it, pretty sure I did though.

I filled out a contact form to support via B&W website and await a response. I have all the confidence in B&W based on prior experience and have absolutely loved the product(s) so far. Just sharing for sake of awareness.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I did download and install the current settings only after discovering the problem and resetting Ipod and Zeppelin. This is the first update I have installed on the Zeppelin serial number beginning with Z-0.
    B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610
    Rotel RSP985/Rotel RMB1095/Rotel RCD1072
  • KyaDawn
    • Mar 2008

I had the same problem recently. It basically happened after I had some friends over and we had a BBQ on the roof of my house. I usually use the Zeppelin as our entertainment system for these get-togethers. Well I'm not sure if it's because one of my joker friends put the Zeppelin on full-blast for short period, or if it's because when trying to pull the plug on one of the outdoor flood lights, I accidentally pulled the plug of the Zeppelin instead while it was playing, or just because of normal wear-and-tear, but the very next day, my Zeppelin displayed the very same symptoms that yours has now.

Thankfully my Zeppelin was still under warranty as it turned out to be a fried amp, which was fixed for free by B&W. Best thing for you to do is to take it in to your dealer and hope your warranty is still valid. Even if it isn't, it's worth fixing now before the thing dies altogether. Plus the humming noise, to me, made it unlistenable. :evil:

Comment

• sleddogg
      • Mar 2008

Got ahold of a very helpfull young man in tech via phone number on B&W website and he sent me (e-mail) a return invoice. Zeppelin is on it's way to North Reading MA. You never really want to be in the situation of finding out how a company's service and support is but now that I am, I'm really confident once again that I have chosen a company like B&W. So far very pleased, and looking forward to a solution. Makes me wonder about the 30 pin connector on the Ipod though. I'm sure it leaves room for expandable functionality but if the manufacturer changes something and fails to tell all the companies involved, well I wouldn't want to be the one fixing all the problems that could bring.
      B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• sleddogg
        • Mar 2008

Well I haven't heard a thing on my Zeppelin and BWGroup recieved it eleven days ago. I checked the support web site and it shows it in queue, not yet serviced, estimate not yet prepared and states a quoted turnaround of zero days. Confused and concerned over the wrong e-mail address being listed on my return invoice, I e-mailed them several days ago. No contact on their part as of yet. Meanwhile I have found more than just a few instances of people on the web stating the same symptoms. I'm starting to wonder where this is going. A little disappointed with the lack of communication. Guess it all depends on how many they are getting back and if newly designed parts are required. I hope it's not over...I really liked that thing.
        B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• sleddogg
          • Mar 2008

Nineteen days!!!
          B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• sleddogg
            • Mar 2008

Got the Zeppelin back today. Invoice says the service performed was a modified powerboard. I will have to e-mail them regarding future updates. I haven't powered it up yet as it is still quite cold from being on the trucks from MA to WI.

How long should I let this thing "thaw out" before I test the repair?

Thanks
            Lance
            B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

You shouldn't have to wait to long. Just let it get close to room temp and you're good.

Eric

Comment

• davethepom
                • Jul 2010

Me too - exactly the same problem

I've recently started having issues with my Zeppelin when my ipod classic is docked via the docking point. The problems come & go but are essentially a really loud low frequency beat / humming sound which changes frequency and often disappears, until I change my current ipod track, then it comes back. Sometimes the unit goes to FULL volume & then the red light on the front of the unit flashed RED.

I have installed the latest firmware from the B&W site & this has not resolved the issue. If I connect my ipod via the auxilary jack connection at the rear of the Zeppelin, there are no issues, hence I don't think that the issue is associated with an amplification problem. The sound seems to be associated with a digital signal. It sounds like it's trying to lock onto a specific frequency of something. Turning the unit off & back on again can sometimes get rid of the noise, but it returns as soon as I change the currently playing track.

Regds davethepom

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"