X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JargonGR
    • Feb 2009

Hmmm

I all this talk and no review yet. I wonder how they sound compared to the old series and if they would match my HTM1D which has passed to history from now on! For people that use their system for both music and movies upgrading kinda gets hard.

Let's say I want to upgrade my 800Ds how will the new ones match my HTM1D and the other four 803Ds I use for surround? Will they stand out a lot? This is actually a HUGE problem and since there is no NEW HTM1D I am stuck as well as other users.

Now in case that upgrading drivers and crossovers is feasible this would change things on the positive side but I don't see that happening.

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by style
      ...the new will sound so better like the price difference? I don't think. ...
      Style
      Omar, I think that you make a valid point. This hobby/passion of ours is sometimes fraught with great psychological battles as we strive for audio perfection. It is sometimes best to take stock of where we are, realise that there will always be improvements (and heaps of marketing) as time passes and rather focus on enjoying the here and now.

I've reached the end of the road for the time being regarding speaker upgrades. Sitting back & enjoying now - which includes keeping up with information but not necessarily making plans to rush out and purchase.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Lucien,
        is true....never end with this hobby/Highend
        every year come a new product a new gadget....BUT you must decide:
        or you buy or you see the magazines!!

sure looks have a big part but is not all. a design dont make good sound.

your system is at the top and with the new comer from Krell the 3 802D mak you fly :T

Omar

Comment

• timjclark
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by stuofsci02
          Hey Tim,

I see you are in Woodstock GA.. I live in Toronto, but work out of Cumming GA. I will move to GA in the near future.. Now both of us will be in the same area and both want a HTM3S... Sound like we will need some sort of time share arrangement..
          Uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood! 8)

What color are your speakers? Mine are Cherry. Maybe we won't be competing against one another :lol:
          -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
          -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
          -Rotel: RSP-1069
          -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
          -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
          -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• aquaanox
            • Feb 2007

I wonder if these new 800 diamonds are made in england like the existing lineup.. at these prices, i sure hope so.

Comment

• stuofsci02
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by timjclark
              Uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood! 8)

What color are your speakers? Mine are Cherry. Maybe we won't be competing against one another :lol:

Yep... Although I hear the weather is about what I am used to right now, so that is good..

Indeed we have different colors.. Mine are Rosenut... Now you might really have trouble find a cherry HTM3S..
              Main System:
              B&W 801D
              Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
              Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
              Oppo BDP-105
              Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
              B&W CM7
              Emotiva UMC-1
              Emotiva UPA-2
              Oppo BDP-83SE
              Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• timjclark
                • Apr 2009

Speaking of weather in GA - It is snowing today! If we are really lucky, about 1" will stick on the ground and maybe 3" in the mountains. It has been cold here this December, nighttime lows around 15! YIKES!!!

Is cherry the hardest color to find?

I bought my 803S's last month which were dealer demos in cherry and then I picked up the htm4s to match. Honestly, I think this speaker sounds terrific so far. I have never heard the 3 and 4 side by side so I don't know what I'm missing. And according to my wife, I'm not missing anything! :P
                -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                -Rotel: RSP-1069
                -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• wgriel
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by aquaanox
                  I wonder if these new 800 diamonds are made in england like the existing lineup.. at these prices, i sure hope so.
                  I'm sure that I read (in one of the releases or blogs) that they are 100% made in England -- and now, this includes the cabinets (no longer made in Denmark).

Comment

• specialized
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by wgriel
                    I'm sure that I read (in one of the releases or blogs) that they are 100% made in England -- and now, this includes the cabinets (no longer made in Denmark).

Which can be lower wood quality becouse the best wood work and furniture are made in Denmark.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Don't like the new prices hey. In Australia we have been paying $23,000 ($21K US) for 802D since it was first introduced. That is before we get the new pricing.

If you stick with your current speakers the price rise will not hurt one bit. There are lots of things that you can do to improve the sound without changing speakers. Mine sound so much better than when I first got them in 2006.
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• JargonGR
                        • Feb 2009

Actually you are correct. I plan on maximizing the potential of my speakers first before I even think of changing them with the new ones unless a greaaat deal comes up!

Comment

• KyaDawn
                          • Mar 2008

I hope the "new" sound justifies the price since I like the "look" of the D series a lot better! :B

Comment

• Antus
                            • Apr 2008

the new series is almost exactly what we'd expect. Take out the speaker grill, use Mcap silver/gold/oil in crossover section. of course, there are other improvement like realign the bass driver to mid woofer, stronger magnet. but i think the major parts are the look and upgraded crossover parts.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Who has been reading driver/speaker design theory recently?

This may be lay persons logic but all else being equal will using a stronger magnet change the ease/difficulty of driving the speaker.

I can see how it might improve control of the driver.
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• stuofsci02
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by timjclark
                                Speaking of weather in GA - It is snowing today! If we are really lucky, about 1" will stick on the ground and maybe 3" in the mountains. It has been cold here this December, nighttime lows around 15! YIKES!!!

Is cherry the hardest color to find?

I bought my 803S's last month which were dealer demos in cherry and then I picked up the htm4s to match. Honestly, I think this speaker sounds terrific so far. I have never heard the 3 and 4 side by side so I don't know what I'm missing. And according to my wife, I'm not missing anything! :P
                                Yeah.. I think Cherry is the hardest to find. Most 800 series are rosenut, then black I think and then cherry..

I am really pissed about the HTM3S going.. It was the best match for the 803S and 804S.. Now you either need to get a 805 on its side or get that big mother HTM2D for a pretty penny..
                                Main System:
                                B&W 801D
                                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                                Oppo BDP-105
                                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                                B&W CM7
                                Emotiva UMC-1
                                Emotiva UPA-2
                                Oppo BDP-83SE
                                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                  ... will using a stronger magnet change the ease/difficulty of driving the speaker.

I can see how it might improve control of the driver.
                                  I wonder if this translates to not having to use an enormously high powered amplifier in order to get the best out of the speaker.

Comment

• joetama
                                    • May 2006

Just curious does anyone else think B&W is going for a 'high end'/mass market and nothing in between market approach?

Seems like a serious departure from their traditional business practices. It seems like they care more about the Zeppelin or cheap market than the group that has made B&W what it is today. I hate to say it but B&W seems to be turning into a relative Sony.
                                    -Joe

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                                      Hi Beden1,

I will go with the 805D for my 803D(Rosenut) in every color!!!!

the macht 803D-htm2D and 805D or 804D ops: is to do!!! :T

and we go see if the 802D are "available".... :W

Style
                                      Hi Omar,

You have a valid point as to go with the 805D or the 804D for the surrounds. I'll have to listen to both, but I had in my mind that I would like the looks of the 805Ds on their stands for surrounds. I just hope they have the regular satin black to go with my other speakers.

I decided to keep my 803Ds with the HTM2D for the fronts. The more I listen to them, the more I like their sound. I will sell my cherry 703s that I am currently using for my surrounds. But, the 703s are also sounding very good, so I may keep them for another setup I have.

Comment

• audiofiel10
                                        • Nov 2009

And...anyone ordered them yet??

Comment

• arube1
                                          • Dec 2009

Anyone think i would be better off with a new 804d or the previous generation 803d? can get the 803d at the approx same price (approx) as the new 804d thanks....

Comment

• audiofiel10
                                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by arube1
                                            Anyone think i would be better off with a new 804d or the previous generation 803d? can get the 803d at the approx same price (approx) as the new 804d thanks....
                                            I don't think anyone will be able to tell you until auditioned, but just on the basis of the old 804s, 803s and 803d, I would say the old 803d is the better deal if you can get those at a good price. The 803s was always substantially better than the 804s, more bass punch, broader soundstage, just a better speaker, the 803d added diamond to that, although a little heavy on the bass. But still, I think the new 804d might be better than the old 804s, but due to smaller cabinet, will still not be as good as the old 803d.

But those are just my thoughts...

Comment

• JustinGN
                                              • May 2009

I think they are, but in an interesting (and probably good) way. Think about it, the 700 series didn't hit profit margins, but were popular. Instead, they cut out the 700 series, and upgraded the 800 series while (seemingly, don't take my word for it) dropping the overall cost of ownership and eliminating confusion in the lineup. I wouldn't be surprised if we see "old" 800 tech trickle down into the CM line later this year as a refresh, while the 600s (a great entry-level setup that competes directly with "Best Buy"-level Klipsch speakers in terms of price) remain the same, only upgrading with new electronics if absolutely necessary to compete.

Also look at how they're nudging into the Headphone market (dominated by Grado and Sennheiser), as well as the PC speaker market (dominated by, well...Logitech. And some Klipsch). And if they still manage to bring their trademark B&W sound with them into those markets, I honestly see no problem.

Think about it. If they make a name for themselves in the "mass market" market, then eventually people will start inquiring about the brand itself, find the good stuff, and hopefully move up. And we can never have enough audiophiles, now can we?

It's good business sense, what B&W is doing. These cuts and refreshes are good moves to keep the company alive another decade or so without issue. Just because they're adapting to market conditions doesn't mean they're ignoring us.

Comment

• tyreman
                                                • Dec 2009

I have been a B&W fan and owner since '85(previous Rectilinear) but no way I could afford to pay those new prices..or would.
                                                Thats a lot of money the used market looks even more attractive albeit not the newest incarnation.

Comment

• style
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2006

I decided to keep my 803Ds with the HTM2D for the fronts. The more I listen to them, the more I like their sound. I will sell my cherry 703s that I am currently using for my surrounds. But, the 703s are also sounding very good, so I may keep them for another setup I have.
                                                  Hi,

I agree. the keep my 803D&Htm2D too. I have a 805S as surround and they have a fine sound.

sure the new 805D will be very great, but the price in Europa will be very
                                                  expensive....And the stand from the 805S are the same for the new 805D?
                                                  if no the 804D can be a attractive alternative.

I will listen the new 803D and compare with the "old" model....

I don't think that the difference will be soo big. can be better , no I can prefer the old and you the new model (and viceversa) is a personal taste!

Omar

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                    I hope the "new" sound justifies the price since I like the "look" of the D series a lot better! :B
                                                    This is only linear improvement I am looking for exponential!!! So may be an other 10 years I keep my cars for 13 years and am trying to do the same with Audio it's hard but I will manage especially with the major price increase
                                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                                                      Omar, I think that you make a valid point. This hobby/passion of ours is sometimes fraught with great psychological battles as we strive for audio perfection. It is sometimes best to take stock of where we are, realise that there will always be improvements (and heaps of marketing) as time passes and rather focus on enjoying the here and now.
                                                      I like the Nautilus series more and more. Too much lasest and greatest in this hobby, along with huge price jumps.

Here is a video about electronic hysteria, pretty funny but lots of bad language if that offends you.

The Onion brings you all of the latest news, stories, photos, videos and more from America's finest news source.

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                                        I like the Nautilus series more and more. Too much lasest and greatest in this hobby, along with huge price jumps. Here is a video about electronic hysteria, pretty funny but lots of bad language if that offends you.http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...tupid_piece_of
                                                        That is a bit crude but not far from reality about Sony
                                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                                          That is a bit crude but not far from reality about Sony
                                                          I :rofl: the first time I saw that. I even :lol: the second time.

However, this guy right here is a BIG Sony fan. They have made some of the best stuff on the market IMO.

One thing I love about people hating Sony, is it has afforded me the opportunity to aquire over $40k in their top tier car audio gear and $40k of their top tier home audio gear for pennies on the dollar.

I will keep buying it up while others keep hating it up
                                                          B&W

Comment

• Opus007
                                                            • Nov 2007

I also got a good laugh from the video.But I totally disagree with it.
                                                            I have had many sony products.They all worked flawlessly.When I moved away from sony and went to Rotel I was confronted with having to add bypass boards and put up with glitches.When sony makes a receiver or pre pro it works and does what it is supposed to do.There are no audio drops or video problems.....but with their newer stuff the audio is not up to par with a lot of the highend players for stereo.In my personal opinion Sony can not be beat when used in home theater only.The cinema modes they provide are fantastic.Take a good ES model receiver and add a good amp and you have a outstanding setup for hometheater surround.Sony is at the front of all the new inovations.And on top of that they work when they implament them unlike a lot of highend gear.
                                                            Also I have always owned Sony tv's.In my personal opinion nothing can touch them.They win hands down.But this is all only my personal opinion.

Comment

• garak
                                                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by audiofiel10
                                                              And...anyone ordered them yet??
                                                              I've got the 802D on order. My dealer said there should be a limited number available sometime this month. So hopefully, I should have them within a month.

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by garak
                                                                I've got the 802D on order. My dealer said there should be a limited number available sometime this month. So hopefully, I should have them within a month.
                                                                So what is the offical price on those things then? Old 802D was 12k than 14k now 16k?
                                                                dan87951
                                                                audio guru

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                                                  SONY BASHING: Here is a video about electronic hysteria, pretty funny but lots of bad language if that offends you.http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...tupid_piece_of
                                                                  To be fair, I have owned Sony ES product a pre-amp 9000ES, an amp, a DVD player and an SACD players the SCD-777ES and eight years later they are all working and I use them every day in my garage with no flaws! So I know people like to bash them but they delivered for me lets hope Classé is as robust ?

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                    This is only linear improvement I am looking for exponential!!! So may be an other 10 years I keep my cars for 13 years and am trying to do the same with Audio it's hard but I will manage especially with the major price increase
                                                                    I agree! :T I'm certainly in no rush to replace my 10-month old 802Ds! :B

I was toying with the idea of possibly "upgrading" to the 805 Diamonds for my rears, but the design change has killed that notion. I'm interested in auditioning them to listen to any improvements in sound, but as rears, very unlikely it's compelling enough for $6K. Plus, though I can perhaps live with the silver bullet (not thrilled), I'm not a fan of the silver "bezels" or whatever they're called. I think it cheapens the look of the 800 series, and sadly reminds me a bit of car audio. And certainly doesn't go with my current 802Ds, which I think are beautiful.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jun 2009

Anyone know if they're the samre size / weight etc.?
                                                                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2009

Btw. the prices here are in. The 800D is 5% up, the 802D is 10% up. But lets face it, taking inflation into account, there are no real price change at all. Prices on everything else have gone up at least 10% total since 2005.
                                                                        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• arube1
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Dec 2009

Good question about size and weight... does anyone know?

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 459

I agree! :T I'm certainly in no rush to replace my 10-month old 802Ds! :B

I was toying with the idea of possibly "upgrading" to the 805 Diamonds for my rears, but the design change has killed that notion. I'm interested in auditioning them to listen to any improvements in sound, but as rears, very unlikely it's compelling enough for $6K. Plus, though I can perhaps live with the silver bullet (not thrilled), I'm not a fan of the silver "bezels" or whatever they're called. I think it cheapens the look of the 800 series, and sadly reminds me a bit of car audio. And certainly doesn't go with my current 802Ds, which I think are beautiful.

http://bwgroup.keycast.com/default.a...d=9&infid=4604
                                                                            I agree,the silver bezels look cheep.The car audio statement is a fair assessment.
                                                                            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 2299

I can't seem to upload pics from my iPhone but I've heard the 802 diamond.
                                                                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2008
                                                                                • 268

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                                                                I can't seem to upload pics from my iPhone but I've heard the 802 diamond.
                                                                                Nevermind the pics, how did it sound?

Comment

• wildmda
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2009
                                                                                  • 40

how would you compare the sound of the 802 diamond vs 802d? Was it significant or subtle?

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2005
                                                                                    • 1792

Im just curious.

Why with such a high quality brand and successful company would they cheap out on hi res photography of this new series. Its very amateur and disappointing IMO. I want to SEE what the heck these things look like. I mean with a major press release about their flagship line only to fall short on the actual presentation of the product itself is...well cheap.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2003
                                                                                      • 2299

Nevermind the pics, how did it sound?
                                                                                      it sounded like the heavens opens up and the angels sang their choir to me as I drifted effortlessly on the clouds as I find nirvanna.

Not really. They are very transparent. I can't compare them to anything else since I can't swap them out to a/b. They are good. Are they better than the previous series and by how much? I don't know.
                                                                                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 3139

They were quite enjoyable. Too bad that the 805 Diamonds were not listenable (the 802 Diamonds physically dominated the room and received the most attention) but they are the most improved of the line.
                                                                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 1792

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                          They were quite enjoyable. Too bad that the 805 Diamonds were not listenable (the 802 Diamonds physically dominated the room and received the most attention) but they are the most improved of the line.
                                                                                          well well well.

Nice to see you post again, and a happy new year to you!

Comment

• Isaac
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 151

Man...You mean my B&W's are outdated? I am going to try to convince myself I will never replace my B&W's.

I like the new B&W's and I bet they sound crazy good but, I think they look a little plain. I like how the "old" 800 series had the black around the driver and port.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"