X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aquaanox
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Isaac
    Man...You mean my B&W's are outdated? I am going to try to convince myself I will never replace my B&W's.

I like the new B&W's and I bet they sound crazy good but, I think they look a little plain. I like how the "old" 800 series had the black around the driver and port.
    could'nt agree more. i didnt really like the silver/chromish trim on my now traded in Cm-9's, i like how the current 804s sort of dissapear in a dimly lit room, no shiny stuff..

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nolan B
      well well well.

Nice to see you post again, and a happy new year to you!
      Happy New Year to you (and yes I still intend to make good a few promisses. )
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• KyaDawn
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by sikoniko
        it sounded like the heavens opens up and the angels sang their choir to me as I drifted effortlessly on the clouds as I find nirvanna.
        Sounds like death to me! :B

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Isaac
          Man...You mean my B&W's are outdated? I am going to try to convince myself I will never replace my B&W's.

I like the new B&W's and I bet they sound crazy good but, I think they look a little plain. I like how the "old" 800 series had the black around the driver and port.
          Technically yes but the further up the line one goes the degree of improvement lessens between series. Regarding the asthetic changes some I would call improvements others perhaps not. The reflective silver rings on each driver are a bit distracting but the smooth surface magnetic grill mounts are welcome.

Comment

• KyaDawn
            • Mar 2008

Im just curious.

Why with such a high quality brand and successful company would they cheap out on hi res photography of this new series. Its very amateur and disappointing IMO. I want to SEE what the heck these things look like. I mean with a major press release about their flagship line only to fall short on the actual presentation of the product itself is...well cheap.
            There are photos, but strangely not available on their main site:

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

Looks like some fancy new chrome... I mean drivers.
              -Joe

Comment

• jamesdaman
                • Apr 2008

I'm thinking the biggest jump will be the 805 in the line compared to the rest but I'm just guessing???

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Wonder why they chose to make their own speaker connectors instead of the WBT ones they where using? Anybody have any pictures of them?

In my humble opinion I think the chrome rings does not work well with especially cherry - but it remains to be seen if they are better/worse once I see them live.

The crossover upgrade is probably where they got most of the improvement. Makes my fingers want to mod my own pair of 802D. Would be interesting if someone could get their hands on the schematics for 802D, 800D and the similar new ones..

Comment

• d52232dole
                    • May 2009

Anyone gotten new 800s yet? Love to see the real photos.

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

Hallo,

I have a question that will be posed direct to B&W.....
                      (new Product, never see,...)

the stand from the new 805D are the same from thr 805S?

I hope! this B&W stand are very expensive (and they are not so good with price/performance) in Switzerland and if I think to upgrage my 805S with the 805D and extra the stand (only stand are ca. €. 450)

with the setup 803D, htm2D and 805S andd stand I think that the new 804D
                      give more vs. the 805D plus the new stand !!

other opinion?

Style

Comment

• d52232dole
                        • May 2009

Oh, I just went to B&W site and saw new 800 photos, not much diff to look & feel, don't know yet about the sound.

Comment

• aarsoe
                          • May 2004

Really surprised about them killing off the 801...

Comment

• 1oldguy
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by aarsoe
                            Really surprised about them killing off the 801...
                            I'm not overly surprised given the market.It comes down to sales at the end of the day.The weakest links got cut.Just like the massive HTM1D.I'm sure it sounded great but they need to sell enough to make it feasible.Had it sold better I doubt it would be taken from the line.The new lineup of the 800 series represents was and what wasn't working from a sales perspective.Nothing more,nothing less.
                            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• sc2
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by KyaDawn

http://bwgroup.keycast.com/default.a...d=9&infid=4604
                              After looking at the photo's, it appears the quality of the wood is not as good... the cherry wood surface looked fine, but...

I was looking at the 802D and the rosenut was very grainy, not sanded smooth. This is a new look, but definantly not as good as quality IMO.

The piano black speaker grill face surface was not perfectly smooth, it looked like MDF painted over a few times.

I do not care for the metal rings on the colored wood, the black, they just look ok. I also don't care for the domed tweeter grill. I do like how they spelled out the name though, looks classier.

Steve
                              Steve

Comment

• mjb
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by style
                                Hallo,

I have a question that will be posed direct to B&W.....
                                (new Product, never see,...)

the stand from the new 805D are the same from thr 805S?

I hope! this B&W stand are very expensive (and they are not so good with price/performance) in Switzerland and if I think to upgrage my 805S with the 805D and extra the stand (only stand are ca. €. 450)

with the setup 803D, htm2D and 805S andd stand I think that the new 804D
                                give more vs. the 805D plus the new stand !!

other opinion?

Style
                                Good point Style! I went with the SCMS's for the rear, and they're gone now - using the 805D plus stands is going to be expensive for rear and/or surround.
                                - Mike

Main System:
                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                  • Apr 2008

Alot if people here are complaining about the looks of the speakers, I actualy really like them think they look rather sexy

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by sc2
                                    After looking at the photo's, it appears the quality of the wood is not as good... the cherry wood surface looked fine, but...

I was looking at the 802D and the rosenut was very grainy, not sanded smooth. This is a new look, but definitely not as good as quality IMO.

The piano black speaker grill face surface was not perfectly smooth, it looked like MDF painted over a few times.

I do not care for the metal rings on the colored wood, the black, they just look OK. I also don't care for the domed tweeter grill. I do like how they spelled out the name though, looks classier.

Steve
                                    Had a close look myself and your right.The quality on the front isn't the same as the rest of the speaker cabinet.I guess your fine if one decides to leave the grill on,I assume most do.But Your right it does look like MDF painted over.
                                    Call me a stickler but the Denmark cabinets looked much better probably because they are better.Denmark didn't get their reputation for quality wood working for nothing.

Comment

• JargonGR
                                      • Feb 2009

What I really care right now is how the 800 Diamonds sound compared to my 800Ds and if it is possible to upgrade the drivers and the crossover. That said I wonder how improved the top 800 is compared to its predecessor.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

There is lot to share but too difficult to type everything out on the iPhone and I am not paying $13 a day for Internet. New magnets on bass drivers. New design on diamond tweeter with more magnets. All models share the same crossover for diamond. 802 and 800 have same crossover now. 805 and 804 are identical in size to old model. All models have metal phase plug - 805 is no longer fixed as a result. Only models here are piano gloss but do not look cheap. Silver rings distracting. Look for preferred dealers to receive models as soon as February and all dealers to have around April or may. Started building in November and going through growing pains with new factory. 800 and 802 wood still done in Denmark while others are in England. System that was played in room was classe electronics - cp700, cdp 202, ctm600's 802 diamond and db1 sub.
                                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aarsoe
                                          • May 2004

Please - someone take a picture of the new crossovers if possible. Would like to see how they fit the same crossover in the 800D in the 802D base..

Comment

• sikoniko
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

Please - someone take a picture of the new crossovers if possible. Would like to see how they fit the same crossover in the 800D in the 802D base..
                                            There is no way to do that.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2005

http://bwgroup.keycast.com/default.a...d=9&infid=4604
                                              yea, but low rez and very few. Sort of a lack luster launch IMO.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

If you download and open the zip files there are some high rez photos.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                  • Dec 2008

If it were Hi REZ we would be even less pleased with the new look of the cabinets.Even if they are made in Denmark something is clearly different with the quality of the cabinets,and not for the better.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                    • May 2004

There are no pictures of the crossovers. I was referring to people attending CES - in the hope that they had them on display there..

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                      • Mar 2008

4080x5440 seems pretty "hi rez" to me! :B

Comment

• timjclark
                                                        • Apr 2009

I took a look at the hi-res photo's and prefer the looks of mine with one exception...I really like the new spelled-out logo. And to be honest, I'm going to swing by my dealer in a month or so and see them in the flesh to see what I really think about their looks. In person, they may be very fetching.

With all of the talk here about the looks of the new 800 Diamonds, this brings up an interesting question for y'all:

Out of 100%, how important are the looks of the speakers VS the sound of the speakers?

My score would be 40% looks/60% sound. I don't care how amazing something might sound, if I don't like the way it looks, I would not purchase it.
                                                        -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                                        -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                                        -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                                        -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                                        -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                        -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• scanido
                                                          • Apr 2006

My ratios to looks/sound would probably be the same. I value the looks almost as much as the sound as these things are a piece of Art in the room. I like the new line with exception of the the silver FST plugs.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Sep 2005

I for one welcome the new look of the series. I think the lack of color and finish selection is still lacking, but I feel the past 800 series was in series need of a design update.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by timjclark
                                                              Out of 100%, how important are the looks of the speakers VS the sound of the speakers?
                                                              Looks are definitely very important. It's probably the biggest reason why I chose the 802Ds over the 803Ds, which I thought sounded amazing as well. If a speaker looked awful to me, it would be difficult to convince myself to buy it even if they sounded superb. At the same time, I wouldn't buy a speaker that I thought sounded like crap just because they looked beautiful either! :P

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

There are no pictures of the crossovers. I was referring to people attending CES - in the hope that they had them on display there..
                                                                that would be me and they don't have crossovers in any display for one to see.

I think you guys are being hypercritical. The speakers do not look cheapened. I do not care for the silver rings though.

Comment

• JesperA
                                                                  • Jul 2009

As usual there is virtually impossible to get some real life pictures of B&W highend series, i have search every corner on the net to try to find someone that have taken any pictures of the new speakers at CES but without any luck!

Is there a camera ban in the B&W booth?

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by JesperA
                                                                    As usual there is virtually impossible to get some real life pictures of B&W highend series, i have search every corner on the net to try to find someone that have taken any pictures of the new speakers at CES but without any luck!

Is there a camera ban in the B&W booth?
                                                                    Ask and you shall receive! :B

Comment

• JesperA
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2009

Cant tell you how much i appreciate that, thank you

Comment

• bwsound
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2010

The 805d looks very good, as well as the 800d, except for the silver rings...

But I quess it wouldn't be a hard job to take out the driver and give a quick black lacker finish to the metal ring.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                          • 3139

Originally posted by jamesdaman
                                                                          I'm thinking the biggest jump will be the 805 in the line compared to the rest but I'm just guessing???
                                                                          It is which is why I was most disappointed not getting to hear it.

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Apr 2008
                                                                            • 136

Yeh i'd love to know how much better they are compared to the out going 805s. £1750 more then the 805s I'd expect quite a bit. I only payed £1200 for my 805s with the stands

Comment

• timjclark
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Apr 2009
                                                                              • 104

Thank you very much!

I think they look pretty darn good actually. I can't wait to HEAR them in person! I'm not crazy about the chrome around the flowport...
                                                                              -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                                                                              -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                                                                              -Rotel: RSP-1069
                                                                              -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                                                                              -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                                              -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 1098

Thank you for the pics. Great to be able to see them "in person". :T

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2005
                                                                                  • 1792

Nice pictures.

I think the 805Ds look beautiful. I think I found the speaker i have been waiting for. Cant wait to hear it!

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2008
                                                                                    • 459

Upon further inspection the official photos of the 800 series look like they are photo shopped.Could this be possible?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Mar 2005
                                                                                      • 3139

They are slowly ramping production up and they stated their reasons for this hence some information and pictures have been limited. We can take some pictures with our phones but they are a little crude and difficult to upload.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2006
                                                                                        • 1676

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                        They are slowly ramping production up and they stated their reasons for this hence some information and pictures have been limited. We can take some pictures with our phones but they are a little crude and difficult to upload.
                                                                                        Do you know if they will still be offering the satin black ash as before, as well as the piano black?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2005
                                                                                          • 3139

I for one welcome the new look of the series. I think the lack of color and finish selection is still lacking, but I feel the past 800 series was in series need of a design update.
                                                                                          I have mixed feelings between the two series but I am sold on the new 805.

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Feb 2006
                                                                                            • 153

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                                            I have mixed feelings between the two series but I am sold on the new 805.

It's Great to see you here :T

Best wishes for a great 2010

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"