X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timjclark
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by hifiguymi
    B&W has run out of some speakers already. The 803S and 805S in Rosenut are gone and they are running low on a dozen other SKUs. For both the 803S and 804S black is the only color not listed as "very limited".

Eric
    Thank you Eric. I had better get on the stick!
    -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
    -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
    -Rotel: RSP-1069
    -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
    -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• dan87951
      • Nov 2005

That's the only thing that scares me about the D series is the replacement costs of the tweeters seem absolutely insane. One of the reasons I still love the S series so much is the replacement diagrams were some what reasonable.The way my dealers are talking (about dropping them) sounds like the new 800 series will be the unicorn that everyone talks about but never sees.. LOL!
      dan87951
      audio guru

Comment

• timjclark
        • Apr 2009

Although I posted an update in another thread, I thought I'd put something here too...

I went to my dealer yesterday and the 804S's are completely sold out in the dealer channel. The 803S's had 2 pair of black and 1 pair of light cherry unspoken for. So, if you want the current series of speakers, you had better get a move on and look for dealer stock.

I bought the demo 803S's in light cherry for a nice discount. They will be delivered Tuesday morning. *cough* *cough* I might be coming down with a cold and will be unable to go to work tomorrow afternoon.... :evil:

Office system:
        -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
        -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• dan87951
          • Nov 2005

Maybe I'm hearing conflicting info but I thought this was a temporary shortage because of the move of the cabinet facility.
          dan87951
          audio guru

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by dan87951
            Maybe I'm hearing conflicting info but I thought this was a temporary shortage because of the move of the cabinet facility.
            There are some models in certain finishes that, as of a week ago, are sold out at at B&W and others that were very limited. I would imagine that 803Ss, 804Ss, and 805Ss are going to go pretty quick since the replacements are so much more money.

Eric

Comment

• wgriel
              • May 2006

There are some models in certain finishes that, as of a week ago, are sold out at at B&W and others that were very limited. I would imagine that 803Ss, 804Ss, and 805Ss are going to go pretty quick since the replacements are so much more money.

Eric
              In a way, it's the end of the line for these speakers once the 800 series is all diamond. I can't help but wonder if we are going to eventually see a new series between the CM & 800s since there will be a very big gap in the lineup.

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

I really doubt the new series will sell that well. They have priced themselfs out of the market! When I talked to some people at the dealer he said even this S and D series of the 800 line wasn't all that good of a seller. $5k for a set of bookshelfs is laughable! I like B&W but I think im offcial buying used here on out or going to a different brand. Focal comes to mind..
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• 1oldguy
                  • Dec 2008

Dan apparently the Bookshelf 800 series will be 6000.00 IN Canada.Someone correct me if I'm Wrong.
                  A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                    • Jun 2006

Audio is a funny business. I was at THE Show in Las Vegas last year and Magneplanar had a pair of prototype bookshelves that they were testing and they wanted to know a good price point.

It was interesting that they asked about being high enough to compete with other products, meaning that even if they could sell the speakers for say $1500, if they "need" to sell them for $2500 to compete with other speakers like the B&W S805, they will.

It is all percieved value and maybe B&W is going after Wilson and JM Lab a little more agressively. I just had a big learning experience with a huge "downgrade" (in price) and did not give up any performance.

Comment

• crytklmass
                      • Dec 2008

I just got off the phone with my B&W dealer. He just returned from a visit to B&W headquarters for training and information sessions. The pricing will not be that different than it is now. The cabinets will still be wood. They are eliminating some of the 800 series brands due to low sales and other series that are a closer match. Right now there letting the rumors run wild, it helps sales. As soon as he gives me a spec sheet and pics I'll post them.
                      BOB

Comment

• dan87951
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by crytklmass
                        I just got off the phone with my B&W dealer. He just returned from a visit to B&W headquarters for training and information sessions. The pricing will not be that different than it is now. The cabinets will still be wood. They are eliminating some of the 800 series brands due to low sales and other series that are a closer match. Right now there letting the rumors run wild, it helps sales. As soon as he gives me a spec sheet and pics I'll post them.
                        Interesting because I had two dealers give me the new pricing structure for the US market. I hope your right. Below is what I received.

800 $24,000 / pair

802 $15,000 / pair
                        803 $10,000 / pair
                        804 $7,500 / pair
                        805 $5,000 / pair
                        HTM2 $5,000 each
                        HTM4 $2,750 each
                        dan87951
                        audio guru

Comment

• pazu
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by crytklmass
                          Very fine, crytklmass!

We wait for your news!

:T

Comment

• Ken49r
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by pazu
                            Fine!

I hope somebody - ken49r? - in this forum will go to CES and write some news about 800 series. It would be perfect to get a lot of photos too!

I take that week off every year from work. So far I have entry to T.H.E. SHOW at the Flamingo Hotel, still working my source to get entry to C.E.S. We'll see.

Comment

• dan87951
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                              Audio is a funny business. I was at THE Show in Las Vegas last year and Magneplanar had a pair of prototype bookshelves that they were testing and they wanted to know a good price point.

It was interesting that they asked about being high enough to compete with other products, meaning that even if they could sell the speakers for say $1500, if they "need" to sell them for $2500 to compete with other speakers like the B&W S805, they will.

It is all percieved value and maybe B&W is going after Wilson and JM Lab a little more agressively. I just had a big learning experience with a huge "downgrade" (in price) and did not give up any performance.
                              Oh I completely believe that! How can a set of speakers cost more than a compact car? lol I don't mind paying good money if the quality is there but once I start to feel like im getting ripped of, I'm done.
                              dan87951
                              audio guru

Comment

• timjclark
                                • Apr 2009

Interesting because I had two dealers give me the new pricing structure for the US market. I hope your right. Below is what I received.

800 $24,000 / pair

802 $15,000 / pair
                                803 $10,000 / pair
                                804 $7,500 / pair
                                805 $5,000 / pair
                                HTM2 $5,000 each
                                HTM4 $2,750 each
                                This the same information that my dealer gave me. I will be avoiding listening to these new ones for many years! When the wifey heard what the new pricing will be, she was VERY supportive to my purchase of the 803S's. :P

Office system:
                                -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

I really doubt the new series will sell that well. They have priced themselfs out of the market! When I talked to some people at the dealer he said even this S and D series of the 800 line wasn't all that good of a seller. $5k for a set of bookshelfs is laughable! I like B&W but I think im offcial buying used here on out or going to a different brand. Focal comes to mind..
                                  I don't know. B&W competes against a lot of brands, such as wilson, that sell products many times their price and don't even staff the number of PhD's b&w does or build their own speakers.

What I am curious of is what difference there is in the new 800D. Only a $1000 price increase doesn't look like much has changed. Could it be the same speaker and an opportune time to raise the price?
                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2007

I don't think I'd use the word "only" before $1000.00. That's a lot of money. I highly doubt they didn't change anything. I don't think any company could get away with saying they did and just raise the price and leave it at that. Not in today's world. B&W wouldn't do that anyway, there's too much at stake with their reference line.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Focal is even more expensive and with the Euro at $1.5 good luck, having said that B&W is just raising prices because they can:cry:
                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dan87951
                                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                        Focal is even more expensive and with the Euro at $1.5 good luck, having said that B&W is just raising prices because they can:cry:
                                        That's just it focal isn't strict on there MSRP. No one pays MSRP on focal! I can easily get 30-35% off on a new set!
                                        dan87951
                                        audio guru

Comment

• Skyblue
                                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by wettou
                                          Imo its not that much. In Denmark, the prices have been the same since the speaker came out. Now, over 5 years, inflationary costs on parts and labor increases their production cost. So I think that even with a raise of $1.000 its still cheaper in real terms (corrected for inflation) than the current version was when it arrived.
                                          B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• pazu
                                            • Nov 2009

Hi, boys!

A question for you: what's the actual price of 803S in USA?

Comment

• timjclark
                                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by pazu
                                              Hi, boys!

A question for you: what's the actual price of 803S in USA?
                                              $6,000 is the list price. And mine just arrived this morning, WAHOO!!!!

Office system:
                                              -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                              -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• pazu
                                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by timjclark
                                                Oh, my congratulations, tim!

I buyed this loudspeakers one year ago and I think they are a perfect size in the 800 series.

Which amplifier will you use to drive it?

Comment

• timjclark
                                                  • Apr 2009

Thanks Pazu!

I have a Proceed AMP-2 for my mains, and then an Proceed AMP-3 for the center and rears. With only an hour spent with them this morning, they are sounding wonderful! I bought dealer demo's which are all broken in and ready to rock!

What amp are you using?
                                                  Are your 803S's part of a home theater and if so, what center channel are you using.

Cheers!

Office system:
                                                  -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                                                  -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• Skyblue
                                                    • Jun 2009

Strangely the list price here in DK i around $8.000, but with 25% vat, its about the same. Usually its much more expensive for audio gear over here.. :/
                                                    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• pazu
                                                      • Nov 2009

Thanks Pazu!

I have a Proceed AMP-2 for my mains, and then an Proceed AMP-3 for the center and rears. With only an hour spent with them this morning, they are sounding wonderful! I bought dealer demo's which are all broken in and ready to rock!

What amp are you using?
                                                      Are your 803S's part of a home theater and if so, what center channel are you using.

Cheers!

Very good, tim!

I don't use 803S in a home theater. I'm a "purist" - I'm joking !

My amp is an Unico 100 - by italian Unison Research -: this is an hibryd amplifier with a power of 220 W RMS/8 ohm, 360/4 Ohm, 670/2 Ohm.

This amp use like driver two tubes Ecc 83. In my amp, I use a pair of Telefunken Ecc803s matched tubes, with amazing results.

If you want, you can see my setup here:

post n. 2875.

In my opinion, B&W 803S need 300 hours working before to get the best sound. So... make it to work, tim!

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

That's just it focal isn't strict on there MSRP. No one pays MSRP on focal! I can easily get 30-35% off on a new set!
                                                        Please tell me where you can get 35% off when the margins are 40 points!
                                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wgriel
                                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                                          Dan apparently the Bookshelf 800 series will be 6000.00 IN Canada.Someone correct me if I'm Wrong.
                                                          IF the rumours of $5K in the US are true, then a price of $6K in Canada would be what I would expect given the price differential in the past.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2007

$5,000.00 is not a rumor for the 805, that price is accurate. All of the retails that I posted are correct on the new models.

Eric

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                              • Dec 2008

Wondering what the 802D would cost in Canadian Funds?Anyone?

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
                                                                • Jun 2005

I heard $16k from a dealer.
                                                                "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                  • Dec 2008

That's odd since that's what they cost here now even before the price hike according to my dealer.Wondering if someone who know for certain can chime in.

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

My impression was that the dealer was reading straight off of a B&W marketing email, but perhaps I am mistaken.

What I'm getting is that the major price hike will be to models that previously only had the aluminum tweeter. The 802D and 800D are seeing more subtle improvements to crossover and available finishes...?
                                                                    "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2008

Wondering if it's possible to get upgrade to the new Crossover for existing 802D owners?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                                                        Wondering if it's possible to get upgrade to the new Crossover for existing 802D owners?
                                                                        I dont see why not. It shouldnt be too hard of a swap if you are handy, however I am curious to the price for new crossovers and if it is "worth" it.
                                                                        B&W

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2007
                                                                          • 1532

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                          I dont see why not. It shouldnt be too hard of a swap if you are handy, however I am curious to the price for new crossovers and if it is "worth" it.
                                                                          You should only consider upgrading the crossovers if the drivers are the same. If the drivers are different, I would change the crossovers.

Eric

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2005
                                                                            • 1537

You should only consider upgrading the crossovers if the drivers are the same. If the drivers are different, I would change the crossovers.

Eric
                                                                            Correct. Its all going to be a guess on what they include until the "new" 800s roll out I suppose.
                                                                            B&W

Comment

• JargonGR
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Feb 2009
                                                                              • 95

I read an article on a Greek AV news site stating that the new 800 series will have stronger magnets on the drivers and new cabin structure.

Where they get this info I do not know (vaporware??) but we will soon find out. But if this is the case then crossover upgrades will not be possible. Yet, we will have to see which models will have new drivers if so.

What puzzles me is the cabin structure changes as well.

Comment

• Ligald
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2009
                                                                                • 23

Hi,

I also live in Switzerland and I bought my 802d just 6 months ago. With the price of the USD being so low with respect to the Swiss francs (1 USD = 1 CHF) , I asked my dealer for a price adjustment, as the 802d cost 12'000 USD but 19'000 chf !!!. He gave me 20% off on a new pair!

I think, with the crisis, this is now the right time to make good deals, especially if B&W renews the serie 800 in a near future (to be confirmed).

The 802d are just... beautiful! For sure, the best investment I made in my life!

Ligald

Comment

• pazu
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Nov 2009
                                                                                  • 77

Originally posted by Ligald
                                                                                  Hi,

I also live in Switzerland and I bought my 802d just 6 months ago. With the price of the USD being so low with respect to the Swiss francs (1 USD = 1 CHF) , I asked my dealer for a price adjustment, as the 802d cost 12'000 USD but 19'000 chf !!!. He gave me 20% off on a new pair!

I think, with the crisis, this is now the right time to make good deals, especially if B&W renews the serie 800 in a near future (to be confirmed).

The 802d are just... beautiful! For sure, the best investment I made in my life!

Ligald

Hi Ligald!

Which amp do you use to drive it?

Comment

• style
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Feb 2006
                                                                                    • 1562

Hi Ligald,

I life in Switzerland too.
                                                                                    The 802D are the great speaker from B&W, not too big (like 801) but enough massive too be a right speaker.
                                                                                    I have a 803D and is too no bad but the 802D is sure a good invesment: new serie or "old??" serie.

the change 1 USD. = 1 Chf. is not good but all is more expensive in Europa /Switzerland vs. the Usa. and others country. the electronic units too:
                                                                                    a Classe ssp800 I have for chf 13000 and not for $. 8000 (old price, ok but with speak from a big difference and in Europa we dont have the money-tree or??

I agree that buy now before the new models coming is a good thing: a 802D is a speaker for the life :T

Style

Comment

• audiofiel10
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2009
                                                                                      • 35

Originally posted by style
                                                                                      Hi Ligald,

I life in Switzerland too.
                                                                                      The 802D are the great speaker from B&W, not too big (like 801) but enough massive too be a right speaker.
                                                                                      I have a 803D and is too no bad but the 802D is sure a good invesment: new serie or "old??" serie.

the change 1 USD. = 1 Chf. is not good but all is more expensive in Europa /Switzerland vs. the Usa. and others country. the electronic units too:
                                                                                      a Classe ssp800 I have for chf 13000 and not for $. 8000 (old price, ok but with speak from a big difference and in Europa we dont have the money-tree or??

I agree that buy now before the new models coming is a good thing: a 802D is a speaker for the life :T

Style
                                                                                      I am not sure if it's a speaker for life. If you look back at the 802N, it looked terribly outdated after the 802d came out. Even if one could argue the differences are minimal, the structure of the foot looks antique in comparison to the newer one. And then you're not even counting in the diamond tweeter. I am pretty sure B&W will come up with new innovations so that all of you (and me) will be compelled to replace our current super duper 802d, with which we are so happy for the new one. Let's wait and see...

Comment

• JargonGR
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2009
                                                                                        • 95

I am wondering how different they will be and how good they will match with the existing speakers. For example, I would only change my mains if it came to it and would really like to keep my surrounds and center.

Comment

• style
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                                          • 1562

hi audiofiel10,

Speaker for life is a great and big affirmation.
                                                                                          certainly B & W models that will arrive with glittering eyes!
                                                                                          B&W comes with new models that will make our eyes sparkle -> one word: marketing!
                                                                                          it's the same product where is the news? where is all the interest that we have written in this thread?? :W

but it is technology. at some point you buy, you have to take a decision!
                                                                                          or keep looking magazines .... :roll:

There are other speakers very beautiful but there costing 3 times the price of the 802D ... with B&W I'm sure I bought a good product!
                                                                                          There are several people who now have bought the 804s and not a question of money but by choice, Everyone for a valid reason for them..

for me the 802D is a great speakers..I don't need a 800...sure in the next years
                                                                                          others models will be better, more attractives vs. the 802d
                                                                                          but to date (personally) dont find other speakers of the same level that they give me the same satisfaction just watching them.
                                                                                          surely also the new 8 Series will make me say : hey but maybe ...
                                                                                          We shall see .... :T

Style

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                                            • 459

I wonder if they won't be quite so heavy.Cutting the weight down is one way to save on shipping.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"